ARC worth the trouble? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-19-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm connecting a Pioneer SC1222k this weekend. The unit and my new display, a Sony HX850, support an ARC connection. In the past, I've always run all my sources to my avr (Marantz SR7001) and then run an output to the display. I'm just wondering if it's worth giving the ARC a shot, since if I go that route, the display will correct for any input lags, etc... Thoughts? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-19-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I don't think many people have had success going this route. Many TVs won't output any audio all from external sources, those that do are limited to just 2.0 PCM. (Theoretically it could also work with Dolby Digital and DTS as well, but ARC doesn't support high bandwidth formats like DTS-HD and multi-channel PCM)
post #3 of 7 Old 10-19-2012, 02:05 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrman View Post

I'm connecting a Pioneer SC1222k this weekend. The unit and my new display, a Sony HX850, support an ARC connection. In the past, I've always run all my sources to my avr (Marantz SR7001) and then run an output to the display. I'm just wondering if it's worth giving the ARC a shot, since if I go that route, the display will correct for any input lags, etc... Thoughts? Thanks.

I'll explain my limited use of the feature, I've got a boxee box and a Samsung LCD TV, I power on my TV, wait about 10 seconds and turn on my receiver from my TVs remote, then the volume up / down all works from the TV remote. I don't get any DTS content from my Antenna setup (does TV broadcast even do stuff like that?) so that's not an issue for me. I hate it when I have to break out the receiver remote to fix something. ARC works very well for me but most people seem to bitch about it.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-19-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
People have found it worth it to use ARC to get audio from the TV's own internal sources, like the tuner. In that case you'll get Dobly Digital (AC-3) over ARC, since that's format used in over-the-air ATSC digital broadcasts, but in most cases it'll only be 2.0 Dobly Digital.

It's when you try to use ARC to get audio from sources connected to the TV using HDMI that ARC becomes less than satificatory for most people.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-19-2012, 05:45 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
Although ARC can be used to pass the TV's smart app audio (eg. Pandora, Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, etc.) back to the TV, some brands (eg. Panasonic) limit the audio to only PCM 2.0 as noted above, while using the optical audio output can also pass DD 5.1. Also using the ARC feature, shortly after powering on the AVR, it will change from it's current input source to the TV source in preparation for the ARC audio, whether that's the source you want to use or not. For some this can be annoying, although use of a Harmony (or other universal) remote can be programmed to quickly change the source back.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 7 Old 10-19-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll be sticking with the tried and true for my sources. As I do use ota, I may try arc for that, but I'll hook up the toslink cable just in case. Again thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #7 of 7 Old 10-21-2012, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just a post setup update. The arc channel works perfectly for ota. No toslink necessary.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page