Upgrade from Arcam P7 amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a demo Arcam P7 amp back in early 2004 and have been using it in a combo home theater/music setup ever since. I have a Classe SSP-800 sending it 5 channels, with the extra 2 channels of the amp being used to bi-amp my front speakers, which are Von Schweikert Unifield 3.

While I have been very pleased with the Arcam, I'm starting to get curious about an amp upgrade. Surely there are amps at a similar (or lower) price point that have come out in the last 8 years that will put this one to shame, right?

My focus leans more toward 2 channel music, but budget and space reasons don't allow me to get 2 separate systems, so I'm interested in upgrade options for a 5-7 channel amp that will sound better than the P7. It should be around the same price point or lower than the P7 was (I think retail was $4500, so a $6k retail suggestion might work, but 10k is probably out of the question). While I have been bi-amping my fronts, if you think a 5 channel amp and bi-wiring will sound better than the 7 channel Arcam setup, I'm all ears...

If anyone else has moved on from the Arcam unit to a newer one and can share your experience, even better.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dear Scott, Have you upgraded your P7 after all? I am in the same position and for my SSP-800 with Arcam P7 I can buy Classe CA-5100 or CA-5200 or to kill myself and go for CA-5300 but so not know what to do...Your feedback is very much appreciated. Thanx
Old 04-06-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I thought I found my upgrade path - Krell 3250e for front 3 with Wyred 4 Sound st-250 for rears, but after waiting for months, the 3250e didn't arrive so I canceled the order.

Now I'm trying to figure it out again. Maybe Bryston 14bsst2 or Pass x250.5 (or x350.5) for fronts with a W4S MMC 3 for center and rears.

The thing is that I bought a used W4S st-250 already, so I'll be selling with only single digit hours use (made sure it worked)