Best Room calibration software - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-19-2012, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm using the Pio Elite SC-55 with advanced MCACC. I'm wondering if the Audyssey XT32? is that much better of room correction software apart from sub EQ? I have a JL F112 and it has auto EQ anyways, so I don't need bass EQ. Or is there another Audyssey better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-19-2012, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 755
There's the pro version of Audyssey but not all units can support it from the little I know (I'd go review the Audyssey site), otherwise the XT32 is the top of the heap for now. I only have experience with advanced MCACC and Audyssey XT, but hard to compare because I changed speakers. I do like the Audyssey, though. The MCACC I can't check anymore because apparently the HDMI board died.

post #3 of 12 Old 10-20-2012, 03:04 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 1428
Audyssey XT32 is the top version. The Audyssey Pro Installer Kit can be used with either XT or XT32 and allows for more tweaking of either version. You'll find those that prefer Audysssey over MCACC and vice versa.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 12 Old 10-20-2012, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Audyssey XT32 is the top version. The Audyssey Pro Installer Kit can be used with either XT or XT32 and allows for more tweaking of either version. You'll find those that prefer Audysssey over MCACC and vice versa.

Which do you like better?
post #5 of 12 Old 10-20-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMAN1991 View Post

I'm using the Pio Elite SC-55 with advanced MCACC. I'm wondering if the Audyssey XT32? is that much better of room correction software apart from sub EQ? I have a JL F112 and it has auto EQ anyways, so I don't need bass EQ. Or is there another Audyssey better?

I made the switch from MCACC to Audyssey XT32 and for me, XT32 was far better, particularly in how it integrated the subs and the seamlessness of the surrounds. I have a pair of JL F113's and while ARO is beneficial, it can only tame one peak, leaving the rest of the bass range untouched. Running ARO then applying XT32 was a very significant improvement for my system.

I've installed the Pro kit on my system as well and while it was worth it for me, the improvement was much smaller than the original transition from MCACC to XT32.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-20-2012, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I ended up grabbing an Anthem MRX receiver for Anthem Room Correction to pair with my Emotiva XPR-5. I've read so many incredible things about ARC.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-05-2012, 07:54 AM

Liked: 10
How was the sound quality with Emotiva paired with Anthem MRx?
post #8 of 12 Old 12-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMAN1991 View Post

I'm going to suggest something different...

From what I've learned about Room Correction over the years, it's meant to tame frequencies that interact with the room your equipment is in.

Your room is mostly influenced by low frequencies. Meaning, vibration of room/furnature/walls/etc. Therefore the largest impact room correction can have, is on the subwoofer channel.

This makes sense to me, and it's why I purchased a sub eq many years ago. I used REW and a microphone to generate my own test tones, and applied parametric filters at specific octaves.

IMO, the question should be: "what can I do to get a smooth in-room response from my subwoofer".

If it's already dialed in, there's no real benefit of different room correction. And dumping an expensive receiver to pickup another one, just for a different sub eq, sounds silly.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-05-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalJason View Post

From what I've learned about Room Correction over the years, it's meant to tame frequencies that interact with the room your equipment is in.
Your room is mostly influenced by low frequencies. Meaning, vibration of room/furnature/walls/etc. Therefore the largest impact room correction can have, is on the subwoofer channel.
This makes sense to me, and it's why I purchased a sub eq many years ago. I used REW and a microphone to generate my own test tones, and applied parametric filters at specific octaves.
IMO, the question should be: "what can I do to get a smooth in-room response from my subwoofer".
If it's already dialed in, there's no real benefit of different room correction. And dumping an expensive receiver to pickup another one, just for a different sub eq, sounds silly.

All of the major systems can give you a smooth room response. Multiple subs help with the bass in the room due to standing waves and room modes. SQ EQ is good but, it is not the end all for smooth bass in the room. LOCATION, location of the subs is most important.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #10 of 12 Old 12-05-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalJason View Post

Right idea but not the whole story.  The frequencies that require attention are those below the "critical frequency" which is determined by the room's dimensions.  For a typical domestic room, that critical frequency is about 250 or 300Hz.   Consequently, correction only of the subwoofer(s) means that the range from where the main channels come on (again, typically, 80Hz) and the critical frequency need EQ as well.  In fact, one of the significant advantages of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 over its predecessors is its inclusion of more filter ability in that range on all the main channels.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #11 of 12 Old 12-05-2012, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Additionally to those "standard" room correction systems like Audyssey, YAPO (Yamaha) and MCACC (Pioneer) etc. there are specialized and highly regarded add-ons like the DSPeaker Antimode 8033, which tame only the sub-woofer channel up to either 160 Hz or 250 Hz (depending on model) and the Dual Core 2.0 version, which handles the complete frequency band for two channels. Antimode works in parallel with those mentioned standard room correction systems, in my case with Audyssey MultEQ XT32.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-06-2012, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
I use a Omnimic with miniDSPs to do real time equalization after running Audyssey.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page