Would you buy a Denon AVP-A2HD / AVP2 to get HDMI 2.0 ports? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Would you buy a Denon AVP2
Yes - I would gladly buy an AVP2 if they built one 4 28.57%
Not quite - but I would gladly buy an HDMI 2.0 upgrade kit for my AVP1 if they sold it 4 28.57%
No - I have an AVP1 and wouldn't get an AVP2 to get HDMI 2.0 or any other new features - I don't think I'll ever get a 4K TV with enough demand for more bandwidth 0 0%
No - I have an AVP1 and I'll just try not routing the 4K video through my AVP 3 21.43%
No - I will buy a cheaper processor next time 2 14.29%
No - I will buy a comparable processor from another company -(please feel free to post what one you brand you would get - I'm extremely curioius) 0 0%
No - I'll buy some insanely expensive processor next time - probably one that includes a full time valet so it will be completely voice controlled. 0 0%
No - I'm getting an AM transistor radio and forsaking high end 1 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-20-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hello,

I have a couple of AVPs that I love but realize they probably only have about 2 years left in them even with the HDMI 1.4 upgrade as I'll probably have at least one 4K TV in about 2 years. HDMI 1.4 is rated at 4096×2160p24 and frankly I honestly don't know if the 24/30 will be enough bandwidth for a 4K TV with a good video source that might even be 3D. I think the current limits of optical disc are about 200GB (MW and OL) (not current BR discs which are about 50GB for DL and 100GB for TL and about 130 for QL).

I really would keep my AVPs if I could upgrade them to HDMI 2.0 but I doubt that is going to happen. I also have no idea if there will be an AVP2 as many people don't think Denon will make another AVP. Perhaps there will be an Anthem D3 out in the next couple of years. I really would be thrilled to get another Denon (or two) if they made a new unit as I have zero complaints about them and would be happy to be a repeat customer. I had purchased a much lower priced Onkyo processor and even aside from the lipsync issue that could never quite be spot on, it truly sounded dreadful to me with the same BR player and same amps and same speakers I used with my Denon.

I know I tend to think about purchasing things way before they are released and was curious if anyone else had thought about this.

I'm sure there will be more audessy updates and those are welcome but my main interest in the next upgrade is for 4K TVs and HDMI 2.0

If I haven't thought of the poll option you would like - I apologize - I can't add them after the fact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-21-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For the next 2 years, I believe the AVP A1 will do just fine. If I do go to a full 4K projector and source, I will cable around the AVP. Not until there are multiple 4K sources will the need for HDMI 2 be really felt.

I went through the same deal a decade ago with my Meridian processors. When HD (component, then HDMI) came out, I just cabled around the Meridian and went through a separate video switcher box to the PJ. Used my home automation rig to make it all a 'one click' operation. Will rinse and repeat for 4K.

Bottom line, I expect to get another 2 to 3 years out the AVP before replacing.

Jonathan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-21-2012, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

I agree - about 2 years will probably be when the AVP1 will be phased out of my collection. I would however keep it if they offered an HDMI 2.0 upgrade or purchase an AVP2 if they made one.
post #4 of 11 Old 10-22-2012, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

While HDMI 2.0 is my focus, I suppose I should have asked if there was something else people would be willing to buy the AVP2 for e.g. a newer version of Audessy that may come out at a future time.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-22-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

While HDMI 2.0 is my focus, I suppose I should have asked if there was something else people would be willing to buy the AVP2 for e.g. a newer version of Audessy that may come out at a future time.

How can HDMI 2.0 be your focus, if the specifications aren't even out yet??? eek.gif
post #6 of 11 Old 10-22-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post

How can HDMI 2.0 be your focus, if the specifications aren't even out yet??? eek.gif
Because I already know the specs for HDMI 1.4(a) and they aren't sufficient for high frame rate 4K. Expect HDMI 2.0 standards within the next few months.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-23-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

I guess I'm too much of a worry wart as not too many people with an AVP seem to think HDMI 1.4's limitation will be an issue for them.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-24-2012, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Voted both for

Yes - I would gladly buy an AVP2 if they built one

and

Not quite - but I would gladly buy an HDMI 2.0 upgrade kit for my AVP1 if they sold it.

None of the above are likely to happen, but IF (and that's a big IF) Denon would make another beast like the AVP, I would seriously consider it for my next pre/pro in say 6-8 years when 4K (or maybe 8K has arrived smile.gif ) is the standard and we have 22.2 sound (Dolby or dts or?)

Deck

STOP THE LOUDNESS WAR
REMOVE THE SILLY REGION LOCK ON DVD AND BLURAY
DON'T BUY CINAVIA INFECTED PRODUCTS
VOTE WITH YOUR WALLET
post #9 of 11 Old 10-27-2012, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

I thought of a great feature they could add to the AVP2. Some subs such as Velodyne and JL use some accoustic program to auto adjust the sub. If Audyssey supplied standards to some sub manufacturers, using ethernet, the AVP2 could auto adjust the subs and work well in conjunction with the other speakers. Since the AVP would do the processing the ethernet interface cost could be quite inexpensive on a sub with digital controls. The SVS SB13 is a nice low cost sub that could nicely be improved with a program like that.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

If Denon does not make an AVP2, it would be sweet if Oppo decided to make a processor of their own. I used to be a Denon fanatic when it came to optical discs but now I recommend Oppo. The only thing I feel strongly about in the Denon line up is the AVP. I wonder if Denon realizes that the AVP helps add credit for the rest of their products as being quality. I'm a tad concerned Denon may become another Vizio/Walmart brand if the strip out their best. Don't get me wrong, I buy my undwear and toothpaste there but I don't look to Walmart for my HT needs.

I need the many xlr jacks in the back of the Oppo so hopefully it would be a nice beefy system. But one the the Oppo might have would be video streaming which would be SWEET! I wouldn't need to go through my BR, I could do it straight from my processor.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-12-2014, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

I can't believe more people wouldn't be begging for an AVP2 considering how many love their AVP. I love my AVP but after having a 4K TV for a while, I really really want a new PrePro with HDMI 2.0
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page