Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 10-21-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I have an anthem P5 that won't power most of the channels.

It has two power cord connections in but only the bottom one seems to be accepting power. I switched the connectors and both are live but only the bottom receptacle on the amp knows when it is receiving power. I only get power out of the far left channel. I can't find any fuses or reset switches on the amp.

I bought the AMP about 4 years ago and don't know how long the Anthem warranty is for.

I'd hate to have to lug this 120lb beast to a repair center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-21-2012, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well a quick look at the P2 & P5 owners manual on the Anthem website clearly states it has a 5 year warranty. Hopefully you bought it from an authorized Anthem dealer, if so I'd start by calling them and seeing about having it fixed.

http://www.anthemav.com/products/anthem-statement/amplifier/p-series/p-5
post #3 of 21 Old 10-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hello,

I believe Anthem has a 5 year warranty (might be 3, don't quite remember) on the amp, check the manual. If so, take it in to your dealer you bought it from and they will facilitate the warranty repair.

Theater design at Audio Video Interiors of Chicago, Inc.

Right across from the Oakbrook Center Mall.

Noah B.

post #4 of 21 Old 10-21-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Did you try resetting the breaker located on the top near the front?

More insights from this thread.
post #5 of 21 Old 10-21-2012, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSeminole View Post

Well a quick look at the P2 & P5 owners manual on the Anthem website clearly states it has a 5 year warranty. Hopefully you bought it from an authorized Anthem dealer, if so I'd start by calling them and seeing about having it fixed.
http://www.anthemav.com/products/anthem-statement/amplifier/p-series/p-5

Thanks, I got it from an authorized reseller in Covina so i'm good there. It will take a lot of digging as it was about 4 or so years ago I got it - can't remember when exactly. I sent an email to Anthem - hopefully I'll hear back from them tomorrow.
post #6 of 21 Old 10-21-2012, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Did you try resetting the breaker located on the top near the front?
More insights from this thread.

Thanks. I've looked - I don't see any sign of a breaker on it. My guess it is the small things that are like buttons you can push in at the top over each channel. Unfortunately they don't fix the issue.
post #7 of 21 Old 10-22-2012, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I had Anthem service my second hand MCA50. It was all handled through a local dealer. Turnaround was about a week and the price was reasonable.
post #8 of 21 Old 10-23-2012, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

This is NOT my week. I have just had my second Anthem P5 go on the fritz. I contacted Anthem and they say they aren't in warranty that I have to bring them in for repairs. Last time my P2 had this issue they sent me the part and I did it myself. I honestly don't want to have to carry 2 120 pound amps down 3 flights of stairs just to have a part replaced that I did myself last time. I'm going to try again to convince them to just let me buy the part and do it myself just like I did with my P2. I'm upset enough about having all 3 of my amps have the same issue but having them try and get me to bring it to a repair center for something I am able to replace myself in less time that it would take just to bring it down to the car is an unpleasant option. If they said I had to bring them in and they would repair them free - I could understand it but since they want me to pay for the parts anyways, why the heck should I have to break my back hauling these anvil's into a repair center I'm just as qualified to do myself.

I loved these amps when I got them but now that I see the repair issues all these Anthems have in common, I'm starting to wish I had bought another brand.

I repair servers, printers, workstations, laptops on a regular basis. I had to solder in new capacitors on my TV when it died, I'm not sure why they are acting as if this is some sort of brain surgery. I sure as hell wouldn't expect a client of mine to disconnect their server and haul it down to my office to repair it. I guess if they had offered to send a repair person even though I'd have to pay for it I wouldn't be so irritated.
post #9 of 21 Old 10-24-2012, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

I got an email from them today and they are going to find out if they can just let me order the part. I sure hope so. I've got three anthem amps - two of which are broken now - the only working one is the one I already fixed a couple of years ago myself.
post #10 of 21 Old 10-25-2012, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

They are really trying to help me out which I appreciate. The price on the parts is now literally 10x what they were a few years ago but hopefully these will last and not be faulty like the originals.
post #11 of 21 Old 10-25-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Which part failed?

I enjoyed the sound out of my MCA-5, but it had the annoying problem of the "loud cap discharge" every time I turned it off. Sounded like a loud fart. I really can't bring myself to buy another Anthem after that.
post #12 of 21 Old 10-25-2012, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Basically it is the relay/plug in component as far as I know. They'll be shipping me out a couple of them tomorrow. Not cheap but it beats not having an amp for either room.
post #13 of 21 Old 10-25-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 177
If you remove the defective relay, read off the make and model. Can probably buy them elsewhere.
post #14 of 21 Old 10-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

Basically it is the relay/plug in component as far as I know. They'll be shipping me out a couple of them tomorrow. Not cheap but it beats not having an amp for either room.

Two amps failing within a short period does raise questions but I hope swapping their power entry boards is all that's needed. They're the ones with the main relays (soldered in), auto-on and trigger circuits, power cord sockets, and transformer primary connections.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #15 of 21 Old 10-25-2012, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post

I enjoyed the sound out of my MCA-5, but it had the annoying problem of the "loud cap discharge" every time I turned it off. Sounded like a loud fart. I really can't bring myself to buy another Anthem after that.

All it needed was a resistor change to have prevented the sound of the voltage collapse. Only a few of the earliest MCA 5s were affected, soldering in a resistor takes seconds after the cover is off, and it can be done locally. My tag line under my user name is what it is for a reason...

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #16 of 21 Old 10-25-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post

All it needed was a resistor change to have prevented the sound of the voltage collapse. Only a few of the earliest MCA 5s were affected, soldering in a resistor takes seconds after the cover is off, and it can be done locally. My tag line under my user name is what it is for a reason...

Nick, I do appreciate the response and it is interesting to hear that it would have been an easy fix. I got rid of the MCA-5 about 7 years ago, so it's of course nothing that can be corrected now.
post #17 of 21 Old 10-25-2012, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post

Two amps failing within a short period does raise questions but I hope swapping their power entry boards is all that's needed. They're the ones with the main relays (soldered in), auto-on and trigger circuits, power cord sockets, and transformer primary connections.

Yeah now that I think about it I can't say exactly when my amp in BR died. My 12 year old TV in there has a color issue and I'd rather replace it than fix it (or watch it) so I haven't been using that system for a while. I keep putting it off as I can't decide to get the VT50 or wait for the next gen of plasmas or possibly crystal LED. I don't like replaceing things often so I tend to wait a long time before buying something new if I know something worth waiting for is around the corner. If I had Bill Gate's money I'd probably replace my equipment every couple of years but I tend to buy infrequently so I don't deplete my bank acount that frequently.
post #18 of 21 Old 11-02-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

They were short on the modules I needed but they scrambled to get me one. I have a new power entry module and voila my amp alive again! I noticed a couple of minor design changes in the power entry module that may reduce the risk of this happening again.
post #19 of 21 Old 11-02-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice. Great to hear about the good customer service.
post #20 of 21 Old 12-19-2012, 11:41 AM

Liked: 10
I have the P5 with the same power entry module issue. How much is the part to repair? Not looking forward to moving 140lb amp
post #21 of 21 Old 12-21-2012, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

$250
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page