Looking for opinions the following two ch. amps - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-21-2012, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking at purchasing a pair of Paradigm Signature S2 or B&W PM1 and would like to know opinions on the following amplifiers. I would like to know how well they perform, opinions of the brand, matching to the aforementioned speakers. I like warm sound.

1. Parasound - 2250 250-Watt THX Ultra2 Two-Channel Amplifier
2. Emotiva - XPA-2
3. Rotel - RB-1582 (Class AB)
4. Rotel - RB-1572 (Class D)

Any others I should consider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-21-2012, 07:04 PM

Liked: 43
I don't have an xpa-2, but a xpa-3 running my Paradigm Signature S6 and I found the amp to be somewhat bright with sibilance at higher volumes with peaks above 80db. Oddly enough I picked up a Parasound Halo A21 and the sibilance was gone.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-22-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 149
If amps sound bright or trouble with silibance, it is the pre-amp/room corrections software in my experience. Source material also makes a difference when selecting an amp. Will the main source be vinyl, digital stream, ect. Then the DAC's come into play. Myself, I use a vintage Yamaha M 80 which is hard to beat without spending several thousands of dollars.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #4 of 4 Old 10-27-2012, 09:45 AM

Liked: 43
While I generally agree with this, sometimes a certain speaker and amp combination just do not have synergy. In my particular system, there is no room correction or even pre amp, it's just an Oppo 95 and a Parasound A21 running Paradigm Sig 6's in a stereo set up. The room is large with 9 foot ceilings and carpeted with nothing between the speakers and the listening chair(like a coffee table) and I was getting sibilance with volume peaking at 82db or above which is maybe one watt per channel with the Emotiva amp. Mind you that was only with some recordings, not all.

Perhaps with some pre amps it would not be an issue, but I would be cautious in getting an Emotiva XPA amp if you have speakers known to have a brighter top end.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page