REW Measurements for Room Correction Systems (YPAO, ARC, Audyssey etc) - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 163 Old 01-29-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It is a single speaker, no sub.

Could I ask for a return favour and get your Fuzzmeasure file for the XT32 measurement you posted above?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 163 Old 01-29-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Sure. Do you have FuzzMeasure? The file is rather large (>200MB). I also could send you just the impulse responses. About 4MB each.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #153 of 163 Old 01-29-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, I have Fuzzmeasure. Whichever is easiest.
post #154 of 163 Old 01-29-2013, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a temporary link:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21936387/audio/stevedodds.fume3.zip

Please let me know when you have it.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #155 of 163 Old 01-30-2013, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Markus, the file works fine.

Was that measurement from one position with XT32, or multiple positions?
post #156 of 163 Old 01-30-2013, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Single measurement at the listening position.

Markus

post #157 of 163 Old 01-31-2013, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Interesting. Could I ask what speakers you were correcting?

I've just sold my Anthem after the benefits of ARC couldn't overcome the annoying glitches of actually using it, so maybe it is time to give Audyssey another try.
post #158 of 163 Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dodds View Post

Interesting. Could I ask what speakers you were correcting?

I've just sold my Anthem after the benefits of ARC couldn't overcome the annoying glitches of actually using it, so maybe it is time to give Audyssey another try.

That was just a temporary setup with the speakers placed directly at the side walls. That's why there's such a hump around 100Hz. Anyway, it shows that XT32 is very effective in flattening the steady-state response.

Markus

post #159 of 163 Old 01-31-2013, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by amt View Post

XT32 really seems like a winner. I wonder if anyone could develop a version of XT32 in which the user could customize the frequency range that XT32 applies its filters, for those who would prefer that above a certain frequency nothing gets changed.

+1
post #160 of 163 Old 03-23-2014, 10:06 AM

Liked: 10

Sorry to resurrect a year old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one when this thread is already here...

I've done some comparisons of ARC (on an Anthem MRX310) and Audyssey XT32 (on a Denon X4000), and I'm a bit confused about the results.  Neither room correction system seems to be doing much.  Both were ran according to the recommendations of their respective manufacturers.  I've experimented with speaker placement on both systems with three different sets of speakers (KEF R700, JBL Studio 580, and Zaph L18 DIY build).  Below are a couple of examples (the only screenshots I have handy, the REW was run on a different PC than I'm using to post this).  Even though these show only Audyssey on the Zaph's and ARC on the KEF's, I've run both systems on both sets of speakers and the results are similar.  

Zaph L18 Audyssey off (green) vs Audyssey curve (blue)

Zaph L18 Audyssey off (green) vs Audyssey Flat (red)

R700 ARC on (blue) vs off (light purple)

The above are all done from the main listening position; 1/12 octave smoothing.  It looks to me like not much is happening, and in most cases the uncorrected response looks maybe a bit better to my eyes.  

The room is L-shaped and the speakers are on the short wall at one end.  The room opens to a hallway in the inside angle of the L and a stairway near the other end.  The outside walls of the L are about 30, both ends are about 14 feet, and the ceiling is 8'.  The end with the speakers is treated with GIK acoustics soffit bass traps (one in each corner), 242 panels on first reflection points on side walls, and for these measurements there was a 242 panel behind each speaker (I found this in earlier REW sweeps to best smooth out the peak/dip combo from the front wall reflection.  Also, in the above measurements speakers were located about 1m from sidewalls, and 1.3m from front wall.  LP is about 13 feet from the front wall, equidistant from the speakers.  There are GIK 242 panels with diffusor plates along the rear wall facing each speaker.

Am I expecting too much from these room correction systems?  Maybe my room issues are way too bad for them to even begin to help, or maybe the room isn't that bad and the easy to correct stuff has already been taken care of by the limited amount of treatments?  

post #161 of 163 Old 03-23-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

^
Something's wrong with these measurements. The off state between Anthem and Denon look different. Why? Do the graphs show all speakers or just a single speaker? Please show only single speakers.

Markus

post #162 of 163 Old 03-23-2014, 04:25 PM

Liked: 10
The correction-off measurements look different because they're different loudspeakers. My point wasn't necessarily to compare the two correction systems directly to eachother, I'm just curious that neither seem to be doing much at all.

And yeah I was measuring both L&R speakers at the same time.

I'm new to REW so I'm likely doing a number of things wrong. I will take more measurements and post the results as soon as I can.
post #163 of 163 Old 03-24-2014, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

^
Please see http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449924/simplified-rew-setup-and-use-usb-mic-hdmi-connection-including-measurement-techniques-and-how-to-interpret-graphs

Markus

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Audyssey

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page