Budget $300. Both come in just under on Amazon. I've currently got an Onkyo TX-SR605 that is going to be moved to the "secondary" living room to replace an old Kenwood VR407 and then this will go in place of the Onkyo TX-SR605 in our "main" living room (the SR605 only has 2 HDMI inputs so I want to upgrade largely due to that without buying an external switch). I looked at the Denon XX13 series but they only have 1 SPDIF port (need two for a couple of CD players I still have from CD's I haven't ripped yet).
Couple of thoughts:
1. I am wired for 5.1 sound in both my living rooms so the extra 2 channels aren't particularly necessary from the NR515.
2. I do use a lot of Apple products so the Airplay of the Pioneer is nice. With that said, both living rooms have AppleTV's so it is only a little more useful
3. I do have Wii, so the ADC for video is nice, but then again I could always just get a Wii2HDMI "dongle" thus making the component upconversion null. I haven't picked up the Wii2HDMI because the 605 does the upconversion currently (and saves me an HDMI port).
4. The Pioneer has 6 HDMI ports and the Onkyo has 8 which is more than I will probably ever need.
5. Both appear to have Auto Speaker setup. I've used Onkyo's auto setup on my 605, but not Pioneer's which I've read is inferior (curious if this is true)....
6. It appears that both have onscreen setup which is a must for me.
So I think since cost is the same, and the analog to digital conversion not as important (if I buy a wii2hdmi dongle), which one sounds better?