Yamaha RX-V673 or RX-A720? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-23-2012, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

So I've just moved from the UK to Canada in the last 2 weeks.

My Onkyo 606 was starting to die before I left - I believe it was the HDMI board starting to go, which I'd heard had been a problem before.

So I've narrowed down my choice to the Yamaha RX-V673 or the RX-A720. At current sale prices, I can get the RX-V673 for $564.99 (including all taxes, etc.).

I can get the RX-A720 for $677.99 (including all taxes, etc.).

So we're talking a different of about $110.

This is Canadian dollars btw, but I believe it's roughly 1:1 with USD just now.

The other "cost" difference is that the 720 comes with a standard 4 year warranty from Yamaha. The 673 is only 2. So that's obviously weighing in favour of the 720, especialyl with my previous receiver dying after 2 years!

I've had a look through the specs and they seem almost identical. Obviously the RX-A models are meant to be better.

However, I was looking for some thoughts on this. I don't want to spend the extra just for the sake of it. However, if it's justified, then I could be tempted.

I do need to decide today if possible, as the sale prices are due to end very soon.

Regarding the switch from the UK to Canada, I have investigated about what things will work (once I step up the voltage). The TV (Pioneer PDP-LX5090H) should work without issue, as will things such as the xbox.

The only concern I had was throwing a Canadian receiver into the mix, and if it'd get upset with things like a PAL xbox passing through it. However, having had a look, it seems as long as I plug in things like that via hdmi or component (both being HD connectivity), then they should work without a problem.

However, please correct me if I'm wrong. I have seen some people suggest it would matter, but the overwhelming opinion from those well informed is that providing you use the HD connectivity, then it won't be an issue.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Graham.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-23-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 388
They're basically the same receiver. Same features, same weight, etc.

The A720 warranty is only 3 years in the USA, how do you get 4 years in Canada?
gmason86 likes this.

Afro GT
post #3 of 8 Old 10-23-2012, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm unsure why it's more in Canada. The manager in the store assured me it's 4 years.

On the assumption he's correct about it being 4 years, what would you go for? Best Buy are the ones selling the 673, and you can add their various warranties (not sure for how much). Is this even worth doing? Not sure if their warranties are useful.

So aside from the warranty and the extra wedge/foot (does this even actually do anything?), they're the same?

Based on these assumptions, what do you think I should go for, given the cost difference?

Thanks,

Graham.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-23-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I don't know about the RX-V673 and RX-A720 speficially, but Yamaha often releases two, sometimes three, versions of a reciever that differ only in model number, waranty and that fifth foot. The real difference is actually who they're marketed for. Orginally the HTR- models were for the big box reatailers, the RX-V for the smaller retailers, and I think RX-A was mainly intended for custom installers. In Canada they've dropped the HTR- models so the big box stores sell the RX-V models, and the RX-A models fill out the high end of the small store's product lines.

The four year waranty for the RX-A models in Canada is standard. I don't know why it's higher in Canada, but it does make up somewhat for the higher prices we're expected pay.

You can configure the Yamaha receivers to use PAL instead of NTSC, so that shouldn't be a problem unless you're trying to use both. Note that just connecting everyhing by HDMI or component won't eliminate the problem. It's using HD instead of SD that makes a difference. If you pass SD over HDMI or component you still have to worry about PAL versus NTSC issues.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-23-2012, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks very much for your reply and for the detailed explanation.

Given that, the only thing tempting me is the 4 year warranty, compared to 2, and perhaps the foot. Although I'm not convinced how much, if anything, that actually does!

So the $100 (before tax) difference is really just the extra warranty. I'm obviously tempted due to my Onkyo dying and me worrying this might die between 2 and 4 years.

I suppose I could see what deals best buy might do on an extra 2 years warranty. Although, not sure if their warranty only kicks in after the manufacturer's, or if it's from the start. I have a feeling it's from the start, so I'd need to buy 4 years!

Any thoughts on what people might do given a receiver the same, aside from the extra 2 years warranty and the 5th foot? Is $100 worth it?

Thanks,

Graham.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-23-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I can't tell which to get, but I can say I bought the HTR-8083 instead of the RX-A1000, saving $100 but losing the fifth foot and two years of waranty. However my previous receiver lasted about 10 years before giving me problems.

I'm pretty sure Best Buy's extended waranty starts after the manufacturer's ends, thus extending the waranty. I didn't opt for their extended waranty myself when I bought my receiver from them.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-25-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmason86 View Post

Hi,
My Onkyo 606 was starting to die before I left - I believe it was the HDMI board starting to go, which I'd heard had been a problem before.
..........., especialyl with my previous receiver dying after 2 years!

My onkyo 806 hdmi has just died and I've been trying to get a replacement board. The service centre told me this:-
Just to advise the Onkyo TXSR806 is covered by a 3 year manufacturers warranty and if you unit is still under warranty all the above costs are covered by Onkyo.

Might be 3 years on your 606 so you may be able to get it fixed for free.

El-d

or you could try and fix it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj0x5S9ez5U
post #8 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 09:04 PM

Couple things -

The Best Buy warranty starts right away - so during the first year you have double protection - this can come in handy for things like a power surge which is covered by BBY but may not be covered under the manufacture's warranty.

The difference between the 673 and the 720 are this:
  1. extra foot to reduce vibration
  2. all of the parts are made by Yamaha - there are not any 3rd party parts
  3. Extra year of warranty
  4. studier construction

I talked to the Regional Yamaha rep and and the same questions you guys did and this is what he told me
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V673 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page