$150-$250 hdmi receiver ??? - AVS Forum
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > $150-$250 hdmi receiver ???
Intheswamp's Avatar Intheswamp 03:10 PM 10-26-2012
I bought my Panasonic 50" pro panel back in January of '07. I'm no audiophile or home theater guru, but I wanted a nice picture and sound. Since then I've been through two different refurb Onkyo receivers (had one replaced for DOA so I guess that would be three receivers!). The last receiver has been giving me trouble for several months...I would have to turn on and off and on and off etc before a picture or sound would come on. I was thinking my Dish receiver or (shudder) my panel or HDMI blade were giving me troubles. I sat down the other night and went straight from my Dish receiver to the HDMI blade on the Panasonic and connected my front speakers to the speaker connections on the panel....worked like a dream, sound and picture instantly came on. So, I've got another dieing refurb Onkyo...averaging a little over 2.5 years per tuner I no longer want a refurb or an Onkyo.

That brings me to the question of what would be a good receiver to purchase. I'd like to have the standard four HDMI ports. 3D isn't required. 5.1 surround will be fine...I never found much media for the 7.1 anyhow. We don't play excessively loud, we're pushing a couple of Klipsch Heresys for the fronts, a tall no-name panasonic for the center, and a couple of the Onkyo bookshelf speakers for the sides. I'm looking to spend $150-$250...times are tough all over. rolleyes.gif

If anybody has a good recommendation I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,
Ed

Intheswamp's Avatar Intheswamp 04:42 PM 10-26-2012
Here are a few receivers that I'm looking at...nothing out of this world, but something that will work and my wife and I can operate. wink.gif Ed

Yamaha RX-V373 5.1-Channel AV Receiver

Yamaha RX-V371BL 5.1-Channel A/V Receiver

Sony STRDH520 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver (Black)
afrogt's Avatar afrogt 07:29 PM 10-26-2012
Onkyo the past few years have been known to have hdmi board problems.

Since you don't want refurbs you choice will be pretty limited in that price range. Otherwise I would have recommended the Denon AVR 1712
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1712/DENON-AVR-1712-7.1-A/V-Surround-Receiver/1.html

For $250 or you wont have many options for a new receiver. Aren't Klipsch Heresy's really good speakers?

By the way satellite and cable boxes are known to have problems with AVRs in general. You can always connect the FIOS box directly to the TV and then use an optical cable from the FIOS to your receiver for audio.
Intheswamp's Avatar Intheswamp 09:18 PM 10-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Onkyo the past few years have been known to have hdmi board problems.
Since you don't want refurbs you choice will be pretty limited in that price range. Otherwise I would have recommended the Denon AVR 1712
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1712/DENON-AVR-1712-7.1-A/V-Surround-Receiver/1.html
For $250 or you wont have many options for a new receiver. Aren't Klipsch Heresy's really good speakers?
By the way satellite and cable boxes are known to have problems with AVRs in general. You can always connect the FIOS box directly to the TV and then use an optical cable from the FIOS to your receiver for audio.

I know I haven't been happy with the Onkyos. One thing they definitely do is run HOT, HOT, HOT!!! Nope, don't want another Onkyo. It's not that I don't want a refurb, it's just that after two refurbs I'm scared of getting another lemon. Do the Denon refurbs have a good track record? Better than the Onkyos?

I bought the Heresy's back in the mid-80's....pretty good speakers. I had some Akai equipment pushing then but somebody broke into our house back during the first Gulf War and stole that equipment...thankfully they left the Heresys.

The satellite receiver worked fine with the Onkyo tuner for probably three years and then started acting up. I've only got one HDMI blade in the Panasonic panel so I need a receiver that will act like an HDMI switch for me. There will be the satellite dvr connected to the receiver, along with a blu-ray player and a legacy dvd/vhs player...possibly a Samsung HD-OTA receiver....all of these will be connected via HDMI and need to run through the receiver.

Currently I've only got the satellite receiver running. It is connected directly to the HDMI blade of the Panasonic. For sound I have simply connected the Heresys to the output jacks on the back of the panel. This is a "get by" setup until we get the receiver replaced.

So, do the Denon refurbs hold up well?

Ed
afrogt's Avatar afrogt 09:51 PM 10-26-2012
Both my Denon's are new but they've held up very well. They don't run hot at all.

Onkyo's do run hot which likely contributes to the HDMI board failure. The one Onkyo I used to own got hot too and it didn't even have HDMI.

Check your local Best Buy, maybe you can get one of last years 1612, 1712 or 1912 Denons on clearance if they have any left since the new ones that replaced it have been out a little while.
erick.s's Avatar erick.s 10:14 PM 10-26-2012
I don't know if you have a Costco near you, but I was strolling through there tonight and they had a Pioneer 5.1 receiver for something like $220. It actually looked pretty decent from what I could tell.
Intheswamp's Avatar Intheswamp 09:43 AM 10-27-2012
Thanks for the replies.

erick.s, Costco is about 70+ miles from me. We're kinda out here in the boonies, you might say....get great OTA reception sitting on this hill, though! wink.gif

So how about them Giants, afrogt? They gonna settle in for that cold weather tonight? This will be interesting!

Well, I've resigned myself to going with a Denon refurb from a4l...you got me to thinking (dangerous thing). I've registering and hoping a4l will send me a "new customer take 90% off your first purchase" email. tongue.gif I'm gonna wait until Sunday evening to order...I figure it won't ship out any faster if I order earlier, and who knows...they might have a 10-percenter or a free shipping between now and then. wink.gif

Waiting will also give me time to decide between the 1612 and the 1712 as I'm still undecided between the two. I like the extra HDMI ports with the 1712 and possibly a better sound quality, but another sixty bucks or so and these are refurbs. I'm still a little gun-shy on refurbs but I really think Onkyo's problems are to do with the oven-factor...they've lost me for good, though. I erred in my my number of Onkyos...it's four...I bought one for our church...it's still going but it's not used regularly and is only used to run audio through.

Anyhow, I'm deciding between the 1612 and 1712. I'm also wondering about the lowly extended warranty. Seems my Onkyo refurbs have gone out within 3 years...makes me wonder if I ought to try an extended warranty with the Denon. I know, I know...extended warranties are rat holes to put money in but with my experience with refurbs....????

Will be clicking the button sometime Sunday evening.

Ed
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 11:12 AM 10-27-2012
Keep in mind that the Denon from AC4L comes with a 1 year warranty and your credit card company may add a 2nd year (Amex will do this for sure, but you'll have to use Paypal to use an Amex card).
Intheswamp's Avatar Intheswamp 03:33 PM 10-29-2012
jdsmoothie, thanks for the credit card info, but I've got a stingy Visa card...I keep telling myself I gotta get rid of it and get something else!

Anyhow, I just got through panicking...a little bit.

I placed an order for an AVR-1712 a few minutes ago. I wimped out and bought an extended warranty...seems all the Onkyo refurbs went out at 2+ years old so I went with the 3-year warranty. Money probably thrown in a hole, but I've gotten burned on two refurbs already...humor me. redface.gif

The panicking part came when I realized they were in the eastern time zone and I remembered Hurricane Sandy was supposed to be hitting the east coast. Sorry to have forgotten but we have some of the prettiest weather you could imagine down here in south Alabama right now. Anyhow, I checked and found out that A4L is down around Orlando, Florida so I feel much better about the receiver getting shipped out and not drowning on it's way here.

For you folks up in the northeast be careful and hunker down. Seems like ya'll are gonna get nailed by wind, water, and snow. Take care.

Ed.
Up
Mobile  Desktop