Denon AVR 1613 - couple of issues noted - some assistance please! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-27-2012, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All - new to this forum, and have some issues that I'm hoping you folks can help me with.

Purchased a Denon 1613 recently, my first AVR. I don't have a subwoofer or a centre speaker, but a house I purchased recently had 4 speakers installed in the ceiling which I wired into the AVR. R and L's were correctly aligned, so were the black and reds. Nothing touching each other...

I then ran the audissy and correctly selected absence of Centre/sub. I let it run to completion. All connections to my cable box and PS3 are via HDMI.

Three issues I have noted are

1) There is a strange static that comes intermittently when I am viewing a HD channel - there is a brief flicker on screen (like static) then normal again
2) Voice is not there, but background noise/score are there. This is odd, as I am getting all the background noises but nothing is coming through as spoken dialog.
3) my back speakers are setup as surround sound back - but I am not hearing anything come through not even background scores. Its as if they are completely dead - when I run the audissy check though they do sound ok then.

Are these in anyway connected?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-28-2012, 03:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The only issue I can address is #2. Chances are the audio signal is being sent as Dolby Pro Logic or Dolby Digital. With either of those, most of your dialogue is going to be sent through the center channel. Sound FX, music, and other sound track elements are usually send to the front and rears. But voice is center. And since you don't have a center channel connected, there is nothing to output it to.

You might want to change your sound settings to be stereo. It will down-mix the 5.1 channels to 2 which should bring back your vocals/dialogue.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-28-2012, 04:00 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
If you are not experiencing these audio issues with the PS3, but rather only the cable box ....

1. This is likely an issue with the cable box which is very common as they are not designed to be connected to AVRs. Try connecting cable box (HDMI) to the TV and cable box (optical) to the AVR.
2. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_L10
3. In a 4.1 setup the surround speakers are considered as "side" surrounds as "surround back" speakers would be in a 6.1 or 7.1 setup. See #2.

Also note there is a dedicated thread for Denon AVR-XX13 owners linked in my sig. Refer to posts #3-6 in that thread for additional helpful information.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1613 Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page