Yamaha RX-A2000 can't see music files on my Windows 7 pc - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 43 Old 10-29-2012, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is driving me crazy. I love my 2000, but it sees only "random" music folders on my Win7 pc. Connection is wired Ethernet from the pc to the 2000. I'm using Windows Media Player 12. I set the pc folder with my music files (.wma and .mp3) to be shared. What's weird is that the 2000 lists some of my Windows Media Player playlists, and some of the music folders, but very few. No matter what I do, there's no controlling what the 2000 brings up for listening from the pc. The Yamaha PDF manual is useless on this topic. Maybe there's something here on AVS about this topic, but I can't find it. Does anyone know of a tutorial or information about how to set up my Win7 music folders to give access to the 2000? I don't care if I'm using WMP or just accessing the folders directly. Thanks for any help or pointers to useful information!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 10-29-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
First make sure that all the music files appear in Windows Media Player's library. The receiver won't be able access any files that don't appear there. Second make sure that you've configured Windows to allow the receiver access to your media. From the library view of WMP select Stream -> "Automatically allow devices to play my media".

The receiver can't access files from folders you've shared using Windows Explorer. That uses a completely different protocol from the DLNA (UPnP AV) protocols used by your receiver and Windows Media Player.
post #3 of 43 Old 11-30-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Ross -- thanks for your advice. I haven't been back here since I posted... I immediately tried what you suggested. My RX-A2000 connects to my pc and lists MUSIC, VIDEOS, PHOTOS, PLAYLISTS. (It did that before.) When I select MUSIC, it responds "NO CONTENT." When I try PLAYLISTS, it lets me see playlists in WMP -- I can play those. The option to access FOLDERS gives me nothing. I can't get it to give me access to Albums or Artists -- can't play my WMP music unless I rely only on playlists. This has been driving me nuts. I use a thumbdrive to pay my music on the receiver. Your comments about how DLNA is different from Windows Explorer protocol are useful. Back the drawing board. Thanks again for your suggestion anyway.
post #4 of 43 Old 11-30-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Does your music show up in Windows Media Player when you select the Music libary?

There maybe something wrong with Window's media server. It might be confused by something or there might be too many files in your library for it to handle. You can try having it rebuild its database, start Media Player and select Tools -> Advanced -> Restore media library... from the menu. Once you restart Media Player you be able to see it rebuilding its database from scratch as it adds files to your music libray.
post #5 of 43 Old 11-30-2012, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Everything shows up fine in WMP when I use the Library -- all my music is there. It adds new music to the library when I add tunes to the folders it watches -- so the WMP library is working fine. I'm going to restore the library anyway, and see what happens. Based on info you've provided, it's worth trying this, and if it doesn't work, I'll remove WMP and reinstall it. Thanks again for your advice! I'll let you know what happens.
post #6 of 43 Old 12-01-2012, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I had similar issues with my RX-A3000 and restoring worked like a charm. Never knew that was all I needed.

Thank you.
post #7 of 43 Old 12-01-2012, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Ross:

I didn't remove WMP using Windows Features as I planned -- sounds like a lot of folks have had problems getting it reactivated. Instead, I restored my WMP library. With a reboot, it re-built the library and my playlists. (This does not work without a re-boot.) I checked my WMP share settings (Stream/Allow devices to play my media) and then tried my A2000 -- no go. The 2000 sees my pc, but when I click Music, it says there's "no content." Here's what's weird. The 2000 reads my playlists fine. I added a new one, and it came up on the 2000, but the Music section on the 2000 is blank. Now I'm trying to logically figure out, am I doing something wrong?

The "Music" folder that DLNA brings up on the 2000 corresponds to the "Music" folder on WMP 12, right? So any albums in the WMP 12 Music folder should be read by the 2000. So is it possible that I've set a switch somewhere in Win7 that prevents this? You said that the 2000 sees only the DLNA protocol -- so nothing I do in Windows Explorer would affect that, right?

All the "source folders" that WMP uses to maintain the Library are also in my Libraries/Documents/Music folder for good measure. And also for good measure, I've set all those same folders to be shared (in Windows Explorer) with the rest of my network. Win Explorer can access those folders on other pcs on the network -- I've checked.

I just can't figure this out. Hey -- I really appreciate the time you've spent on this. I can't ask you for more. It's very kind of you to offer insights and suggestions. Thanks. My next stop will be Yamaha tech support, which I'm dreading...
post #8 of 43 Old 12-01-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's how it works on my receiver. I push the NET button until the PC input comes up. I then get a list of media servers on my network, and I choose my computer whos name is in the format "Hostname: Username:". I then get a choice of "Music", "Videos", "Pictures" and "Playlists". When I select "Music" I don't see any music. instead I get a choice of how I want the music categorized, "All Music", "Genre", "All Artists", "Contributing Artists", etc... When I sellect "All Music" only then get a list of all the music on my PC.

If you're not getting the category selection after selecting "Music" then this suggests something is wrong on the server end because this list of ten categorizations should always be the same. Your receiver and mine should be getting the same information from our PCs at this stage. Are you using a different language version of Windows other than English? Any chance that you might be selecting a different media server running on your PC?

How many music files do you have in your collection? If it's a lot, or even if you have a lot other kinds of media files like pictures, then maybe the server is taking too long to respond and the receiver is giving up.
post #9 of 43 Old 12-01-2012, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the snapshot of how it's supposed to work. I use the NET button and the PC comes up. I have only one media server and I choose it. I get the same 4 choices you do - Music, Videos, Pictures, Playlists.

When I select Music, the response is "No content." There is nothing further to choose. (In my WMP Music folder on my pc, there are dozens of albums, but not any huge number.)

When I choose Playlists, it returns "Playlists" and "Folders." Playlists connects to all the playlists I set up in WMP 12 -- I can play them all on the 2000. Folders gives me "G:" -- the drive I store my media on. Clicking on the G: drive gives me "Music" -- but Music has only 5 albums in it. I can't figure out why it brings up those 5 and no others. G: also gives me another music folder (called "Austin") and two sub-folders within it -- but only a few albums from each (there are many more actually on the pc folder).

So the DLNA protocol is not passing all the necessary directory information to the 2000.

Your comment about whether there are a lot of other media files, like pictures, which may make it hang up, is interesting. I have one main drive on my pc, with several partitions. As I said, the G: partition holds all my media -- but that includes music AND photos -- a lot of photos. I do not store music in "My Documents/Music. on my C: drive" I find it's much easier to manage backups when data files are separated by type into logical drives. Are you suggesting it might be worth moving everything but music out of that partition?

In case it's helpful, my pc is a Dell XPS420, 8GB RAM, 1 TB main drive, 500MB secondary internal drive, 3 external drives connected via firewire/USB/e_SATA). The media partition, G:, that WMP gets all its music from is on the main drive. (I use all the other drives for backing up.) I run Win7 Ultimate 64-bit. No problems, and WMP works fine on the pc.

I've been trying to figure out why a handful of albums comes up on the 2000 -- even checked Users/[my name]/My Documents and AppData to see whether those albums are somehow tagged in there, but they are not. I'm not sure what they have in common. It's also interesting that the playlists from my pc all show up on the 2000 -- why, when the rest of "Music" doesn't?

Do you keep all your media in the My Documents folder on your C: drive?
post #10 of 43 Old 12-01-2012, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I keep my media in My Documents on the E: drive along with another folder there.

When browsing through Folders after selecting Playlists only shared folders that actually contain playlists are shown. You won't be able to see any folders that don't contain a playlist somewhere under that folder.

Another thing to try is to browse through the Videos and Pictures on the receiver, while you cant view these kinds of media, you the receiver should still show all the files in these libraries, just greyed out. If selecting these libraries works just like selecting Playlists does then the problem isn't likely to be caused by too many media files.

If you get the same problem with either Videos or Pictures then you might want to try moving a bunch of music files out of your media libraries temporarily. If you've made the entire G: drive part of your music library that'll be much more difficult though.
post #11 of 43 Old 12-02-2012, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Our setups are similar -- media on a separate drive. Except I named the folder on that drive in which I keep music, "Music." Within that, each artist has a folder that has sub-folders of albums. Nothing unusual. I wonder if there's something magic about a "My Documents" folder. I will create one and put some music in it, just to see whether the 2000 can see it.

After I received this "advice" from Yamaha, I set my G: drive to shared. Before that, only the Music folder (Not My Music -- I don't have such a folder on that drive) was set to shared. This seems to contradict what you said about the 2000 ignoring Win Explorer's settings (or did I misunderstand you?):

Nick,
That would indicate that there is something on the PC that is blocking the connection. Possible sharing setting or firewall/popup blocker. The folder that the music is in may also not be shared properly. There are no settings for the receiver and if it sees the PC its on the network.

Best Regards,
The Yamaha Customer Support Team

Anyway, sharing the G: drive did not fix the problem. Does Yamaha's suggestion that a firewall/popup blocker is causing this make any sense?? If that's the problem, then the playlists would not be getting through, right? Likewise, I can see all my Photo and Video folders, although as you point out, the sub-folders and files are greyed out. So I don't think number of files has anything to do with this.

Also, there's a Playlist folder in my G:/Music folder. It's always been there. Another thing I did was dissociate .wma files from my WinAmp player, which I don't use much any more. WMP is now the default for opening .wma files. I have to conclude there's something wrong with my setup, if yours works okay. Will try setting up a My Documents folder on the G: drive and putting some music in there to test that angle. Your input has been very helpful in looking at other angles on this. Thanks again!
post #12 of 43 Old 12-03-2012, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

I'm frankly very surprised at Yamaha tech support. No suggestions whatsoever, just "it's not our problem." It's interesting that they cannot even provide the base configuration of WMP 12 that works with the receiver.

Sent: Monday, December 03, 2012 3:39 PM
To: nick@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Yamaha Electronics Support Case #01088802 [ ref:_00D30F1z._50030Obk2S:ref ]

Firewall settings, security settings and folder sharing settings are not something we get into, that would be a Microsoft support issue. The fact that the receiver sees the PC and playlists indicates it is setup properly on the network. You will have to go through the Windows Media Player setup and file sharing. Something in there has been changed to block the play back and we would not be able to tell you what could have been.

You could always try another PC or Laptop as a test.
post #13 of 43 Old 12-03-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I think your best bet at this point would be to try to use some other media server software instead of the server built into Windows. You should be able to find a free UPnP AV media server you can install.
post #14 of 43 Old 12-03-2012, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 493
A decent alternative is Media Monkey and it's free.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #15 of 43 Old 12-07-2012, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the good ideas. I was able to set up a Win7 laptop on my network -- worked fine as a media server using Media Player. No problems.

Occurred to me that -- I know it sounds goofy, but worth at try -- that maybe the music folder actually has to be named "My Music" (on my main pc it's must "Music") so back on my main, errant system I set up a My Music folder on a separate drive, put some albums in it, created a playlist, and tried again. I re-set WMP so all it knows about is the new My Music folder on the new drive. The 2000 sees the playlist and will play the tunes from the Playlist -- but does not see the main music collection. All I get is "No content." It also sees (but will not let me use) all the Photos, Videos, etc files. (I know the 2000 locks up this feature of DLNA.) So I know a few things:

1. It's not the 2000, because another computer works fine with it
2. It's not WMP in general
3. It's not my network
4. If it's my main drive, the new drive I set up has the same problem... so it's probably not the drive itself or how the access settings are configured. (On the new drive, I left rights at defaults.)

So it must be some setting on my main pc. Yamaha suggested it could be my AV or firewall settings -- but the Playist would not come through in that case, would it? Likewise, when I set up a My Music folder on a separate drive, it showed the same problem I was having with the main drive that houses my music.

Thanks again to all for your suggestions and analysis.

A big fat raspberry to Yamaha for not even trying. After the useless e-mail back-and-forth with the tech, I got a "customer satisfaction" e-mail from the manager of Support and he invited me to contact him directly. I did. Never heard back from him. Granted, it's not the 2000 causing the problem. But when you spend over a grand on a nice receiver from a respected company, you expect they will at least have some debugging tips -- especially about a feature they advertise heavily and don't offer much info about in their "manual." Even Dell techs will provide diag suggestions to help you figure out a problem.

I'm going to keep working on this. I don't rest til I figure out a problem, when I know it's not the hardware or the software, but likely the settings.
post #16 of 43 Old 12-07-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
I would try the free version of Serviio.
post #17 of 43 Old 12-27-2012, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Serviio does not work with Yamaha RX-A2000. The server comes up on the 2000's console screen, but trying to view files returns an "Access Error". Has anyone actually been able to get one of the media servers out there to work properly with the 2000 (or the XX10 series)? Thanks!
post #18 of 43 Old 12-27-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Can you play those files from a different PC on your network? Your Serviio server should show up under Other Libraries in Windows Media Player.
post #19 of 43 Old 12-27-2012, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Have you used Media Monkey with a Yamaha receiver successfully?
post #20 of 43 Old 12-27-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

Can you play those files from a different PC on your network? Your Serviio server should show up under Other Libraries in Windows Media Player.

The Serviio server shows up in WMP12 on the pc that I'm using to host the Serviio server (Win7), but WMP reports that "No files have been found on this remote library." My only other pcs run XP and WMP 11 -- they don't show me Other Libraries. (Is the latter issue a WMP 11 issue, or am I not "sharing" the Serviio library properly for other pcs to see?)

Thanks!
post #21 of 43 Old 12-27-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Unfortunately I don't think the Windows XP version of Windows Media Player supports streaming files from media servers. It only suppports servering media files.

However it looks like you're running into the same problem on your Windows 7 PC with WMP as you're getting on your receiver. Check to see that that you've configured Serviio correctly. Make sure you've told it where your music resides. The Serviio FAQ also suggests that you "make sure that TCP port 8895 and UDP 1900 are open in your firewall."
post #22 of 43 Old 12-30-2012, 07:50 PM

I have been struggling with this exact same problem for a while now. I tried the library rebuild trick, but that didn't seem to make a difference. What DID make a difference was that my PC was joined to a "HomeGroup". Just as an experiment, I removed my PC from the HomeGroup and afterwards my RX-A2000 could see all of my music on my PC. I am not sure why. Perhaps it has to do with firewall rules, file permissions, folder sharing, etc. Afterwards I re-added my PC back to the HomeGroup and so far, everything is still working properly..... So I would say if you are having a problem, try removing / re-adding your PC to it's HomeGroup if you are using that feature on Windows 7.

Don't know why it would make a difference in this case, since in my opinion Windows file sharing and DLNA should be separate, but in any case it worked for me.
post #23 of 43 Old 01-01-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Wow, I am having similar problems. I have an 867 which is probably the same vintage Yamaha firmware. I was/am using Logitech streaming for my Squeezebox radios and the Yamaha connected to it fine when it could see it. It hasn't been seeing it for the past couple of weeks. It got fixed moments ago when I did a reboot of the media center pc.

I decided that I should be able to use the stock media player and not have to worry about the Logitech media server. I get no content when I go to music, but I do see the photos, both of which are on a drive that is added to the library. I think I have everything shared out properly, but have not tried the remove/re-add homegroup trick. I can "play to" the Yamaha without a problem.

At the moment, I'm just happy to have the Logitech back...
post #24 of 43 Old 01-01-2013, 01:57 PM

Before the remove/re-add I could do the same (PlayTo the Yamaha with the Windows Media Player.) It made no sense why that would work but the Yamaha could not 'see' my media on my PC.
I am leaning toward it being a firewall issue on the PC, but I'm too lazy to fully investigate all of the firewall rules to see which ones change when a Home Group is used. wink.gif
post #25 of 43 Old 03-29-2013, 09:36 PM

OK WOW. This is a post I just made on the "Official Aventage" thread (I removed it and repost here and you will see why):

I have an RX-A2000. I have a rather large music library on my Vista 32 CORE2DUO computer, hardwired apple airport router, and using Media Player stream the music with no problem to my receiver. From the receiver I can see the computer, the music, video and picture directories. I can only play the music but that was fine.

Now I have a new Windows 7 64 bit CORE4XEON hardwired, and even after I enabled the streaming in Media Player, while I on Media Player I can tell it to play something on my receiver, when on the receiver I pull up the COR4XEON I can get three folders from my computer, Music, Videos, and Pictures. Still cannot play the videos or pictures, which is too bad, but what's really bothering me is that I can no longer populate the music folder when I select it. It always says "no content", even after a reboot. How strange it is that I can tell the RX-A2000 to play a song from Media Player, but cannot populate just the music folder from within the RX-A2000?

Also, can any of you play videos or display pictures over your home network from your computer thru your receiver to your TV?

Any ideas?

That was the post that is now here to run with.

Since making it I have learned a couple things:

I can still access everything on my old Vista 32 Gateway computer (which I really want to smash because it's soooooo sloooow) from my RX-A2000. So it's very likely not a network problem.

I can access everything from my new Dell CORE4XEON 64 bit on my Lenovo Win 7 64 bit laptop....wirelessly....(!) Confirming it's not a Media Player problem or firewall issue, and again, very unlikely that it's a network problem.

The content from both computers (the old one that works, and the new one that works to my laptop) is exactly the same. The content was taken from the internal slave drive on the old one and copied onto the new one's internal slave drive.

The only real difference I see is the change to 64 bit factor. (And it's now a Dell - which I doubt has anything to do with anything - although - it is curious that the person that started this thread has a very similar setup)

Ain't that a bitch - $2600 of brand new computer and more headaches! BTW - the computer is marvelous in every other aspect. 256SSD primary drive and 2TB slave, with 32GB ram. It's a smoker! Maybe it's too fast for the RX! LOL :-/
post #26 of 43 Old 03-29-2013, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

The RX-A2000, like almost all AV receivera doesn't support playing video over DLNA (or USB). It also doesn't support viewing pictures, it's audio only.

How are you accessing the files from your Lenovo Windows 7 laptop? Are you using Windows Media Player and accessing the music files through one of the network libraries listed under "Other Libraries"?
post #27 of 43 Old 03-29-2013, 10:31 PM

Yes - "Other Libraries" then "Doug (CORE4XEON1)" then "Music"
Also under Music is listed Artist Album Genre on the Laptop and they are fine also on the laptop
post #28 of 43 Old 03-30-2013, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmm... I'm not sure what the problem is then.
post #29 of 43 Old 03-30-2013, 06:04 AM

Well thank you for taking the time to try. This morning I tried pulling some music from my Win 7 6 bit laptop and found that while it does display the 10 or so songs it has on it, they don't play correctly, ie click on this song and it plays that song.instead every time. My Vista 32 computer still streams fine but I'm going to kill it soon! :-)

So this leaves me with one very likely conclusion, that the RX-A2000 and DLNA streaming does not work with Win 7 64 bit Media Player. If I am wrong please chime on in. On the other hand if I am right, I wonder if I can have Media Player run in XP MODE to correct the problem?

I may have to resort to just plugging in Western Digital Passbook Portable HD into the front of the RX-A2000 when I want to listen to my files, which is not desirable but may be the only solution.

Perhaps YAMAHA can do another firmware update to fix this?
post #30 of 43 Old 03-30-2013, 07:35 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingmaniac View Post

Well thank you for taking the time to try. This morning I tried pulling some music from my Win 7 6 bit laptop and found that while it does display the 10 or so songs it has on it, they don't play correctly, ie click on this song and it plays that song.instead every time. My Vista 32 computer still streams fine but I'm going to kill it soon! :-)

So this leaves me with one very likely conclusion, that the RX-A2000 and DLNA streaming does not work with Win 7 64 bit Media Player. If I am wrong please chime on in. On the other hand if I am right, I wonder if I can have Media Player run in XP MODE to correct the problem?

I may have to resort to just plugging in Western Digital Passbook Portable HD into the front of the RX-A2000 when I want to listen to my files, which is not desirable but may be the only solution.

Perhaps YAMAHA can do another firmware update to fix this?

I have an RXV 3900. Attempting to stream using Windows Media Player was a frustrating experience.
Once I installed Twonky Server in November 2011 my media server my problems disappeared.
While using Twonky, I have upgraded my PC from Vista to Win 7 64 bit as well as added an additional "media" only drive.
All of these changes were seamless.
The 3900 ( and my WDTV Live, Pioneer N50, and my android phone) can consistently access music, video, and photos without any issues.

My advice - give Twonky a try. Once it is configured you'll be able to sit back and enjoy your music.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A2000 7 1 Channel Audio Video Receiver
Gear in this thread - A2000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page