First Speaker Setup - Onkyo 717, Rti12, Good Deal? Good parts? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-31-2012, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, I'm still new to AVS. I'll try to make this thread as neat as possible for you to read.
Context
So I recently just purchased the polk audio rti12 and they IMO sound amazing, I also listened the the Klipsch RF-82's, but couldn't justify the 170 price difference per speaker vs the rti12. So I got two rti12 ($325 each after tax) at frys and hooked them up to my avr635 and they're great and all, but I didn't have any bi-wiring or a sub to power the subs so the bass was a bit disappointing. So I decided to go purchase a new receiver with biwiring and the capability. So I decided to get the Onkyo nr-717 ($540). Not only that but I decided to purchased the BIC F12 sub because the reviews showed that it beat the polk audio 505 which was in the same price range. So right now I still have to decide on a center and rear. I was thinking about the klipsch center and bookshelf speakers, or the polk audio rti4 but I'm still unsure. Also, I have no idea if this is considered a HT setup.

What will it be used for?
I plan on using this for watching movies and listening to music. I may play games on it from my comp, but unlikely.
Info About Current Setup

Room DImension - I still have to measure my room and make a image of it for you guys. But if needed here's the description. So I have my tv and speakers currently setup on one side of the room, the room spans from a living room, to the kitchen, then to the kitchen. No walls or doors in between the living room and kitchen except this half wall thing.

What I have

Harmon Kardon Avr 635 (75 watt x7)
Polk Audio rti12 ($325) x2 (Note, I still can return these for full price until November 28)
Hitachi 55HDs69 55" plasma - Horrible TV, 768p and a virtual 1080p chip. Even at native resolution I can't read any text on the screen. I might move my Sharp Aquos 55" 1080 lcd up, or get a new one. I was planning on getting a projector but since it's upstairs (window lights) and the ceiling is prob too low I can't.
220 Gallon Fishtank - This thing... Literally three feet away from the speakers right now...
Crappy L shaped sofa.
Bose 141 Speakers - Is this even relevant?
5.1 Bose Speakers - Bought back ten years ago for 1.6k then it was given to me as a gift. 5 satellites (two cubes on one) and a sub.
150 feet of RCA 16 Guage Speaker Wire
Mini-itx Computer to use (Maybe used for gaming, but prob just mkv) - i3 2020, 8gb DDR3, 6670 1GB, 60gb SSD
Belkin PureAV Filter Home Theater Power Console

What I have Purchased so far.

BIC F12 ($200.19 - amazon)
Onkyo NR717 ($540 - newegg) - EDIT CANCELLED
Sewell Deadbolt Banana Plugs with Fast-Lock Technology, 12 Pair ($27.95)
15 Feet Mediabridge Subwoofer Cable ($9.99)

What I still need
I still need 2x rear speakers - (budget 200-400?)
1x Center (250)
Receiver (700)
AMP (???)

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-01-2012, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I just cancelled the 717.. (newegg shipment delayed anyways). Are there good mid-priced receivers out there that seem good for me? (500-700) I was looking at the HK 3600, the onkyo 809 and 1009 (which seem like older models, but I can't see the diff with the 717)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Polk Audio Speakers Rti 12

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page