Simultaneous multichannel and stereo outputs from each hdmi input? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-04-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I expect I'll have difficulty describing what I want, but here goes. I have a home theater with 7.1 sound which I enjoy tremendously. However, I wear wireless hearing aids and sometimes, many times, want to stream 2-channel sound to my hearing aid streamer (which wirelessly streams to my hearing aids) at the same time I and everybody else are listening to multichannel sound. This sounds easy, right? Not so fast. If I connect the hearing aid streamer to the left and right preamp outputs, I am missing the center channel to my hearing aids that carries most of the dialog. With my current receiver (Denon AVR-4306) I have a workaround by creating an additional virtual output using zone 2 and using the stereo outputs from my DirecTV receiver for the input for this virtual output. This works fine and everybody else, including me, can enjoy the regular multichannel sound and I can have a little help using the wireless hearing aids. The problem is it only works for one input (DirecTV).

Now, here's my question. Does any AVR have the feature of a stereo output (not just FL and FR) that can be used simultaneously with multichannel sound, on ALL of the hdmi sources? That is, an output that is not devoid of the center channel info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-04-2012, 10:41 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 1402
Are you not able to simply also connect a RCA cable from the other HDMI sources you want to pass to Zone 2?

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 9 Old 11-04-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Are you not able to simply also connect a RCA cable from the other HDMI sources you want to pass to Zone 2?
Some of my hdmi sources don't have analog outputs. Neither my Roku nor XBox 360 have analog audio outputs when using hdmi. My DirecTV , BluRay, HDDVD, and HTPC do however. This is a lot of cables, though, and I'd like a more elegant solution. Maybe it doesn't exist.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-04-2012, 11:24 AM
585-645-1006

Might be a bit kludgy, but likely your best solution ....

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=8127&CAWELAID=1329456204&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CKjH7oqFtrMCFRKpnQodDSIAAw

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #5 of 9 Old 04-18-2013, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation4444 View Post

I expect I'll have difficulty describing what I want, but here goes. I have a home theater with 7.1 sound which I enjoy tremendously. However, I wear wireless hearing aids and sometimes, many times, want to stream 2-channel sound to my hearing aid streamer (which wirelessly streams to my hearing aids) at the same time I and everybody else are listening to multichannel sound. This sounds easy, right? Not so fast. If I connect the hearing aid streamer to the left and right preamp outputs, I am missing the center channel to my hearing aids that carries most of the dialog. With my current receiver (Denon AVR-4306) I have a workaround by creating an additional virtual output using zone 2 and using the stereo outputs from my DirecTV receiver for the input for this virtual output. This works fine and everybody else, including me, can enjoy the regular multichannel sound and I can have a little help using the wireless hearing aids. The problem is it only works for one input (DirecTV).

Now, here's my question. Does any AVR have the feature of a stereo output (not just FL and FR) that can be used simultaneously with multichannel sound, on ALL of the hdmi sources? That is, an output that is not devoid of the center channel info.
I'm now in the market for a new receiver and want to ask my question again. Per the above, does any of the new AVR's have this feature?
post #6 of 9 Old 04-20-2013, 01:04 AM
585-645-1006

The new 2013 Denon "In Command" models (formerly "CI" and now "X") are to be announced on May 1 and released May/June and should provide what you're after. Refer to the 2013 Denon AVR thread linked in my sig for more updated information as more details become available.

post #7 of 9 Old 04-20-2013, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The new 2013 Denon "In Command" models (formerly "CI" and now "X") are to be announced on May 1 and released May/June and should provide what you're after. Refer to the 2013 Denon AVR thread linked in my sig for more updated information as more details become available.
Yes, it appears I can set zone 2 preamp outs to be stereo getting its signal from the same hdmi that is supplying the main zone. This would essentially allow a wireless headphone output for stereo sound. Is Denon the only mfgr that will allow this?
post #8 of 9 Old 04-20-2013, 09:18 AM
585-645-1006

Haven't researched other mfr's models so no information there.

post #9 of 9 Old 04-20-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
The Yamaha RX-A3020 can do this, regardless of whether the same input, HDMI or not, is selected in both zones. I'm pretty sure this the only AV receiver you can buy today capable of having multichannel HDMI audio in the main zone while downmixing the same HDMI audio to stereo in zone 2.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page