RX-V671 Speaker Crossover settings / Best Manual EQ Settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-05-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have a question about my Yamaha RX-V671. Does this A/V receiver or Yamaha generally allow you to set the cross over frequency at the speaker level? My research and study of the instruction manual seem to indicate No. I wanted to control my bass management of my speakers instead of what I understand is Yamaha's universal cross over frequency. I currently have a Bose Acoustimas 15 (yes, at the time I did not know any better) and its accompanying Acoustimas module, which I suspect has its own cross over frequency hard wired for the 5 little cubes that come with it. Despite the Bose manual instructions of setting all the speakers to large I have set them to small and (sorry forgot to mention i have added a second sub woofer via RCA Y spliter cable) set my sub woofer to 80 Khz. I have also added two additional speakers to the set to have 7.1. I am trying to maximize my sound and am looking for suggestions on further bass management with the Bose speakers that i am currently stuck with. Does anyone have any suggestions on this particular receivers ability to manage the cross over at the speaker level?

Regarding EQ - does any one have a suggestion on what settings i should use for this? I could use the Yamaha calibration system but that system only works so well and i thought i might be able to tweak the settings out to something more that i would like. Would a manual EQ bring better life to my Bose system?

I appreciate your responses!

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 03:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIFOKBYWIFE View Post

Hi,
I have a question about my Yamaha RX-V671. Does this A/V receiver or Yamaha generally allow you to set the cross over frequency at the speaker level? My research and study of the instruction manual seem to indicate No. I wanted to control my bass management of my speakers instead of what I understand is Yamaha's universal cross over frequency. I currently have a Bose Acoustimas 15 (yes, at the time I did not know any better) and its accompanying Acoustimas module, which I suspect has its own cross over frequency hard wired for the 5 little cubes that come with it. Despite the Bose manual instructions of setting all the speakers to large I have set them to small and (sorry forgot to mention i have added a second sub woofer via RCA Y spliter cable) set my sub woofer to 80 Khz. I have also added two additional speakers to the set to have 7.1. I am trying to maximize my sound and am looking for suggestions on further bass management with the Bose speakers that i am currently stuck with. Does anyone have any suggestions on this particular receivers ability to manage the cross over at the speaker level?
Regarding EQ - does any one have a suggestion on what settings i should use for this? I could use the Yamaha calibration system but that system only works so well and i thought i might be able to tweak the settings out to something more that i would like. Would a manual EQ bring better life to my Bose system?
I appreciate your responses!
Thank you!

Hi, welcome to the forum. I don't know of any crossover settings except for the sub of course. I didn't like the eq settings I got from the ypao, so I set the eq manually and it sounds better to me. It is kind of a hassle because you have to set each speaker's eq separately.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Gmash, do you have any EQ setting recommendations? I am researching on the web but its pretty complicated stuff.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIFOKBYWIFE View Post

Thanks Gmash, do you have any EQ setting recommendations? I am researching on the web but its pretty complicated stuff.

When you go to the manual setup menu, the first option is Band/Gain. Think of this as a regular graphic equalizer, with each band being one of the sliders on the eq. You can look at the line and imagine it as the way you like your eq set up if you've used regular equalizers before.
The second option, Freq/Gain, will let you choose which frequencies you want to raise or lower, in effect giving you an almost unlimited band equalizer instead of a typical five or seven or whatever band graphic equalizer. You might not even want to mess with this option, depending on how precise you want to get with it.
The Q/Gain option has to do with the bandwidth. If you think again about a traditional graphic equalizer, this controls how far up or down the sliders can be adjusted. I didn't mess with this and left it where ypao had it.
So, easiest thing to do is play some music through one speaker at a time and just use the Band/Gain like a regular eq. Hope that helped! I was confused by it myself at first, and couldn't get anyone to help me, so I just messed around with it until I figured it out, so hopefully I got that right and was able to explain it lol!
Oh, another thing, if you are using a center channel, I would leave that flatter than the other channels since mostly all of your dialog comes through there.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Gmash - i am going to give this a try!

Tags
Yamaha Rx V671 Receiver