Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX | No sound from fornt left & centre speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-06-2012, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,
I'm having trouble with my home theatre system. I've had the system for many years now. A few days ago I noticed the front left and centre speakers were no longer delivering sound. I've checked all the connections and in one scenario (see below) I did get sound from the front left speaker, so I'm thinking this is likely an issuer with the receiver. I reread the manual and played with the various settings trying to get sound, to no avail. Below is a list of the gear and what I've attempted to do to resolve the issue. I'm not really good at this stuff so I'm at a loss at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GEAR:
AV Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX
Speakers: Monitor Audio Radius 180 – left, right and centre, Monitor Audio Radius 90 – Rears, Monitor Audio R360 sub.
Marantz CD player, Panasonic blueray player, Western Digital media player, PVR.

PROBLEM:
No sound from the front left and centre speakers. Front right, rears and sub working.

TROUBLE SHOOTING & TESTS:
I went through the manual and tried various surround sound modes.
Played FM radio and TV.
Played CD music.
Played HD movie on Western Digital Media Player.
Played Blueray movie.

RESULTS:
No sound from front left and centre speakers in all of the above scenarios but one. Note: The receiver does switch up the various surround sound modes correctly depending on what you are watching or playing.
During the opening Warner Brothers splash screen at the very beginning of the blueray movie, the background music was delivered to both the front left and front right speakers, but not the centre. When the movie began, the front left went dead again (the centre remained dead). I lost the dialogue since it’s typically delivered through the centre channel.

HELP!:
Does anyone have any advice and/or suggestions I can try, before I call in the service man?

Cheers,
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-06-2012, 06:51 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 1418
As the front right speaker works, try connecting it to each of the FL and center speaker posts to see if it's a speaker issue or an amp issue. If it works, then test the FL speaker connected to the FR speaker post as well as the center speaker connected to the FR speaker posts (separately of course). If you determine it's an amp issue, check the Owner's manual for a microprocessor reset or setting initialization process.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 3 Old 11-08-2012, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

As the front right speaker works, try connecting it to each of the FL and center speaker posts to see if it's a speaker issue or an amp issue. If it works, then test the FL speaker connected to the FR speaker post as well as the center speaker connected to the FR speaker posts (separately of course). If you determine it's an amp issue, check the Owner's manual for a microprocessor reset or setting initialization process.

Awesome! Never thought of that. Thanks a million.

I doubled checked the speaker wire connections and did determine the centre speaker had a lose wire, so that's back up and running.

I ran the MCACC setup again, you know with the microphone, and I'm getting an ERR (error) message for the front speakers. The manual says that that suggests a lose speaker wire, but I checked them and that's not it.

Tomorrow I'll try your suggestion. That will determine if it's the speaker or the amp.

Thanks again.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page