High-End AVRs Without Video Processing? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-06-2012, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just curious . . .

Other than the NAD T787, are there any other high-end AVRs that do not have any video processing?

Asking because I'm thinking about possibly replacing my Denon AVR 4311 (which replaced a beloved Arcam AVR300 that died--sure miss the Arcam sound) and I've already got a Lumagen Radiance XS for video processing. The Denon is okay for movies but something seems missing for me when it comes to music.

TIA. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-06-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryWaz View Post

Just curious . . .
Other than the NAD T787, are there any other high-end AVRs that do not have any video processing?
Asking because I'm thinking about possibly replacing my Denon AVR 4311 (which replaced a beloved Arcam AVR300 that died--sure miss the Arcam sound) and I've already got a Lumagen Radiance XS for video processing. The Denon is okay for movies but something seems missing for me when it comes to music.
TIA. smile.gif

Also just curious, so, care to expand a bit on what you are lacking for music on the 4311. I also have a Denon (2310) and I love it both for film and music. For 2 ch stereo input I use MultEQ + DynEQ (all time), no DynVol, and set the mode to Dolby Pro Logic II with settings: Panorama: ON, Dimension: 0, C.Width: 5. I just feel like sitting in the middle of the band. smile.gif Do you use Ref.Level Offset on top of DynEQ? YMMV.

Lookin' forward. Thanks.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-06-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
There are audio only processors. Some of these don't have room correction or only limit audio to 96kHz.

But there's no reason to avoid processors or receivers just because they route/process video, as long as the video does not harm the audio (no evidence this happens). You aren't saving anything without video.

I have the Edge for video and Arcam AVR600. If you like Arcam then it should still be a consideration.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #4 of 7 Old 11-08-2012, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Great question.

Not sure exactly. Something is missing. Maybe it's all the years with the Arcam. smile.gif

I tried your settings and it did help things a bit. I'm going to see how they "wear" with me over time. Yup, right now I'm using Ref. Level Offset.

I'm not exactly a big fan of the unit's menu system, either using the controls of the receiver/remote or via the web control utility. Prefer something far simpler to use. I'm more of a set it and forget type as opposed to constantly tweaking.

Guess I need to experiment with 4311 a little more . . .
post #5 of 7 Old 11-08-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

If you like Arcam then it should still be a consideration.

Thanks for the comments! smile.gif

Well, while I dearly love the Arcam sound and the look of their units, I find the Arcam's quirks (like popping/cracking on input changes and electronic issues/connection-soldering problems) a little unnerving. My 300 started exhibiting a well-documented electronics problem (the unit just quitting on its own or not starting at all). With no local dealer for repairs (the local dealer I bought it from dropped Arcam from their product line), and the unit out of order, I didn't want to pay the $$$ to send the unit back to the UK for repair.

And all the issues with the AVR400 and 500 and some with the 600 have left me a little reticent. Seems like their electronics and firmware QC is sometimes an issue.

That said, we have two Arcam Solo's (one in the kitchen and one in my den) and they've been rock-solid little units. Love them. Just don't want to use them for the main HT system in the man cave. Want something more top-end.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-08-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Have you looked at the NAD T777. I have the previous gen NAD T775HD and love it. Love the sound. Glitch free performance. No crackle or pops. I am running the latest firmware. All the HDMI inputs are just passed through to the output. You do get the OSD overlay. Easy to use and rock solid. And great customer service. I email my support contact and he emails me back and very helpful.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-10-2012, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

Have you looked at the NAD T777. I have the previous gen NAD T775HD and love it. Love the sound. Glitch free performance. No crackle or pops. I am running the latest firmware. All the HDMI inputs are just passed through to the output. You do get the OSD overlay. Easy to use and rock solid. And great customer service. I email my support contact and he emails me back and very helpful.

No, I haven't. I'll put in on my list, along with the T787. Thanks! smile.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page