Denon AVP-A1HD vs. Mcintosh MX-151...Need Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 11-07-2012, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi to All Members
I wanted to buy in first place a Denon POA-A1HD to give more power to my system...but then after searching i've decided to go the Processor also, so i tought on buying Denon AVP-A1HD and POA-A1HD and match them.

However since those are discontinued i and i am having a hard time finding them in Europe i tough is getting something similar with the Denon performance...so i am thinking on the Mcintosh MX-151 and instead of the POA buy 3 MC501 or 2 MC303 to make my 6.1 System. I tought on the MC8207, but has less power and the blue maters are digital...i don't like that.

Do you think for movies i will have less performance with the Mcintosh System than the Denon?

I watch 99% Movies and 1% Music.

My Speakers are:

- Klipsch RF-7 II (Front)
- Klipsch RF-82 II (Rear)
- Klipsch RS-62 II (Rear Center)
- Klipsch RC-64 ( Front Center)
- SVS PB-13 Ultra Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-07-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Mcintosh sounds good, but it cost to much compared to other good sounding brands. I think that the price on Mcintosh amps are just not worth it unless you have a lot of money that you don't mind spending. Mcintosh is out of my price range. denon sounds good also. I suggest the Denon
post #3 of 20 Old 11-07-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

I also would like Denon, but where do i find an AVP-A1HD and POA-A1HD now in Europe? That's the issue...
post #4 of 20 Old 11-07-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 20
An AVP or a MX-151 + some mega amps like MC-303 x 2 seems like a bit of overkill for your speakers.
post #5 of 20 Old 11-07-2012, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think so...These are the Reference Line and you should check the specs....I had Monitor Audio RX8; RX6 and all the Silver line and these are WAY BETTER.....
I use the Pioneer SC-LX90 Susano to drive them...
post #6 of 20 Old 11-07-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Have you tried here: Denon Portugal Contact or at Denon Germany Contact?

Cheers, Feri

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 20 Old 11-07-2012, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Denon Portugal doesn't has and cannot get, but Denon Germany i didn't.... But i will.
Many Tanks for the idea smile.gif
post #8 of 20 Old 11-07-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post

An AVP or a MX-151 + some mega amps like MC-303 x 2 seems like a bit of overkill for your speakers.

Hi Sam. I think the overkill would come from the other way around, i.e. the Klipsch seem to me to be overkill. Honestly speakers, although MV didn't specify the size of his room, but those speakers with an ultra high sensitivity rated @ 101 dB may cause some "head-scratching" when Audyssey on the AVP will not be able to set the trims of each speaker, but will max out on the negative side (at -12 dB). Worry not, this is a known issue and the most practical (and cheapest) work around is to insert attenuator pads between the AVP outs and the POA ins. (One for each channel, except the sub, of course.)

Cheers, Feri

post #9 of 20 Old 11-07-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

In the case of the MX-151 and 2 MC303 for example i was checking, and where's the connection for the subwoofers? confused.gif
post #10 of 20 Old 11-07-2012, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

Hi Sam. I think the overkill would come from the other way around, i.e. the Klipsch seem to me to be overkill. Honestly speakers, although MV didn't specify the size of his room, but those speakers with an ultra high sensitivity rated @ 101 dB may cause some "head-scratching" when Audyssey on the AVP will not be able to set the trims of each speaker, but will max out on the negative side (at -12 dB). Worry not, this is a known issue and the most practical (and cheapest) work around is to insert attenuator pads between the AVP outs and the POA ins. (One for each channel, except the sub, of course.)

Sorry for my ignorance, but i never heard of attenuator pads. But i am a good learner smile.gif Should i buy those?
By the way do you think the option of the Mcintosh MX-151 and 2 MC's 303 will be better or worst than the Denon AVP + POA? The room has 30m2

Just discovered that the Mcintosh does not has any Video Processor inside like the Denon.. frown.gif
post #11 of 20 Old 11-07-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

Sorry for my ignorance, but i never heard of attenuator pads. But i am a good learner smile.gif Should i buy those?

If i were you I would first look around at some local electronic stores/depots to find out the availability, and when you have your HT gear and run into the trouble I mentioned then you may buy them. No need to spend money in advance.

Quote:
By the way do you think the option of the Mcintosh MX-151 and 2 MC's 303 will be better or worst than the Denon AVP + POA?

I think if SQ (Sound Quality) is important for you you should either go for the Denon line (with Audyssey on board) or check out the MX-121 which also has Audyssey (MultEQ XT + DynEQ + DynVol) compared to the MX-151 with RoomPerfect only. You may compare the MC's here.

Quote:
The room has 30m2

Normally pretty big, but with the extra high sensitivity of the Klipsches, I have a fear you will need those attenuator pads in the end. wink.gif
Quote:
Just discovered that the Mcintosh does not has any Video Processor inside like the Denon.. frown.gif

Not a big deal, IMHO audio processing is more inportant.

Cheers, Feri

post #12 of 20 Old 11-08-2012, 06:51 AM

I am a big McIntosh fan. They sound great!
post #13 of 20 Old 11-08-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Yes i believe so...but after some reading i think the Denon has more "Dynamics" for Movies and that's what i am looking for.

Buying Denon AVP + POA from USa and using a "Voltage Stabilizer" is bad or they will perform as they should?
post #14 of 20 Old 11-08-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 400
It's best to get a model which is intended for your country.

While a Denon product made for the USA can be used in other countries if you have an appropriate power converter, some of their features won't work. Radio stations use different frequency ranges, for example, and network streaming services are not the same. Also, if the equipment has hardware problems, getting it repaired will be difficult.

Selden
post #15 of 20 Old 11-08-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

It's best to get a model which is intended for your country.
While a Denon product made for the USA can be used in other countries if you have an appropriate power converter, some of their features won't work. Radio stations use different frequency ranges, for example, and network streaming services are not the same. Also, if the equipment has hardware problems, getting it repaired will be difficult.

Yes you are right...I will try to find those in Europe.
Next month i might travel to Germany so i can get them.
post #16 of 20 Old 12-15-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Why Mcintosh MX-151 doesn't has the "Audissey" and the MX-120 has it and it's cheaper?...eek.gifmad.gif

I think mcintosh should plan to make another Processor....people talk about an MX-160, but i think those are only rumors.... Mcintosh should make a processor that has lots of audio features like the Audissey and video processing.
post #17 of 20 Old 12-15-2012, 11:52 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

Why Mcintosh MX-151 doesn't has the "Audissey" and the MX-120 has it and it's cheaper?...eek.gifmad.gif
For the MX-151, Mac chose to license Lyngdorf's Room Perfect correction. Whether or not it's better than the Audyssey version in the MX-121 is open to discussion.
post #18 of 20 Old 12-15-2012, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

And the fact that the Mc MX-151 can beat the "dead" Denon AVP-A1HDA, is also something to discuss... Let's not mention the video features because video scalers can be bough apart....
post #19 of 20 Old 12-16-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

From what i've read the Mcintosh beats the Denon....
post #20 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Had both and the MX151 was easier to setup, manage, and sound was much more natural and less edgy.

See Profile
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page