Denon Dynamic EQ question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-09-2012, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hi, I'm hoping you guys can clear things up for me about Dynamic EQ that's on my Denon AVR-1912. My question is, do you guys leave it on or off? I notice when I have it on, everything like dialog and such is nice and loud at 30dbs absolute value, (-40dbs-ish?) Now when I'm playing games, let say MW3, it's seem to be too much bass. If I turn Dynamic EQ Off, the sound is very quiet. Is -40 suppose to be loud or quiet. Just want you guys opinion and I want to try this different perspective on whether Dynamic EQ should be on or off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-09-2012, 03:45 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
Dyn EQ can generally be left on for all sources, using the Reference Level Offset of 10db for non-movie (ie. non-reference) sources (ie. TV, music, games) to reduce the bass boost and bring out the dialogue. After running Audyssey with "reference" volume (ie. 85db+) set to an AVR master volume setting of 0db, a master volume setting of -40db would be (85-40=45db) or roughly about the level of a whisper. Average TV viewing master volume levels generally range from -35db to -25db. Modern AVRs generally use a logarithmic volume scale, such that the volume must be turned up over 50% for normal listening.

Also note there is a dedicated thread for Denon AVR-XX12 Owner's linked in my sig. Review posts #3-6 for more helpful information.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 3 Old 11-09-2012, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 154
as usual JD nails it. WIthout DynVol, minus forty dB is one sixteenth as loud as zero would be and uses one ten thousandth of the power that zero would use. You typically see normal conversation defined as being in the 65 dB range. Typical movie dialog might be at 80 ti 85 dB at reference. So minus 29 dB, or one one hundredth of the power of reference, would get an 85 dB dialog scene down to 65, more like normal talk in your home. Each 10 dB is half as loud, and one tehnth the power. At minus forty you'd have dialog down around 45 dB, likely too quiet to understand . DYNVOL works to keep those things up in the range of audibility when we listen very quietly.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page