PC HDMI Audio output to Receiver - no sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-09-2012, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,

I have a VSX-521K and I am trying to get the audio output from my PC, ideally using the HDMI output. I have a P8Z68 motherboard with optical and HDMI/spdif audio output.

I have been able to get the optical audio working, but discovered that optical does not support 5.1 sound (is that correct?) so I am trying to get the HDMI audio working.

I am using the BD/DVD hdmi input on the VSX, but the HDMI light is flashing, which according to the manual means that there is no input. I am wondering if the amp is looking for a video signal on that input, and not finding it and stopping the sound somehow.

I used to have 5.1 analogue output going to a cheapo linkman amp that had 5 channel analogue input, but as far as I can see this amp doesnt have 5/6 channel analogue input.

Any suggestions on how to get this to work?

Thanks smile.gif
Will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
I don't know if you've done this already but right click on the speaker icon in the task bar and choose "volume control options".
Click the HDMI output box.

Denon AVR4311CI
Magnepan 2.7QR's w/ MGCC3 Center
(2) Polk RT15i
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Behringer NU3000 & NU4-6000 Amps
Panasonic DMP-BDP210 - Projector: BenQ W1070
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history: https://skydrive.live.c...
Old 11-09-2012, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Hi and thanks,

yes, I have set the HDMI audio out to be the default device, and also in the sounds and configuration you can direct output to this port.

I also have a graphics card with HDMI output, and tested that in the same way with the same results.

Part of the problem is that I am not sure if the sound is not being correctly output from the PC, or if something is wrong with the amp setup.

thanks,
Will.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
If possible you can run the HDMI from your PC to your TV or PC monitor to see if your getting audio out. If you are you can eliminate the PC as being the problem.

Denon AVR4311CI
Magnepan 2.7QR's w/ MGCC3 Center
(2) Polk RT15i
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Behringer NU3000 & NU4-6000 Amps
Panasonic DMP-BDP210 - Projector: BenQ W1070
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history: https://skydrive.live.c...
Old 11-09-2012, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

ok, thats a good idea. i dont think any of my monitors have sound, but i can plug into the tv and test.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:02 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
An optical cable can pass "bitstream" DD/DTS 5.1 (ie PC not decoding) or PCM 2.0 (PC is decoding).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 11-10-2012, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

ok, that doesnt work. i plugged the same HDMI into the tv and no sound. however, from another computer which also has a graphics card and has HD sound out via the HDMI, i was able to get sound on the TV. the difference is that this second HDMI also has the video from the PC. so I am wondering if this is the problem... trying to get audio only.

I am going to try 2 things.... enable the video output on the HDMI port and plug into the tv and see if i get sound then, and also try using a HDMI splitter to copy the video and audio output to my monitor across to the tv, and see what i get then.

Will.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Progress but still not working....

I was able to get the HDMI output from the video card (ATI 5870) to the tv and got both video and audio (but only stereo). but when i unplug the HDMI from the TV and plug it into the amp, the monitor immediately disables itself (no longer detected by the video card) and then there is neither video nor audio.

so now I'm wondering why the amp causes the video to be disabled? I think that is the root of the problem.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, yes I have that working. What I am actually trying to do is get surround for my PC games. most games dont support DTS or any other encoding, but they do support 5.1 (which I assume is PCM?).

Will.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

I added one step by plugging in the HDMI output of the amp into the TV. Now, on one of the HDMI inputs marked "VIDEO" (but not the BD, BD/DVD inputs) the hdmi light stopped flashing, and theTV produces video and sound, but only stereo. however, there is no sound on the speakers which are connected to the amp, only sound is on the tv.

this is getting more confusing...
Old 11-10-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
As I think you've already figured out, HDMI audio doesn't work video. There's needs some sort video being sent, even blank video, at the same time for you to hear anything.

The simplest way to acheive this is to duplicate your desktop so it also appears on a second "display", your Pioneer receiver.

First connect your receiver using HDMI to your video card. You've mentioned two different video cards, the ATI 5870 and the onboard video on your P8Z68 motherboard. Connect your receiver to the same video card that is driving your computer monitor. Turn off any TV you have attached to your receiver.

Now right click on the desktop and select "Screen resolution". You should see two displays there, one for your computer monitor and one for your receiver. Change the the "Multiple Displays" option to "Duplicate these displays" and then press Apply. Now right click on the speaker icon in the taskbar notification icon and select "Playback devices". Select the entry that says something like "HDMI Output" and make it the default device by pressing the "Set Default" button. Now verify that you can hear audio on your receiver.

Next turn off the TV connected your receiver and repeat the steps described in the previous paragraph. Your receiver will look like two different displays to Windows depending on whether or not the TV is turned on, so you need to this for both configurations.

Assuming this all works, you should then set your speaker configuration. From the "Playback devices" panels, select your HDMI audio device and then press the Configure button. Select "5.1 surround" and the rest of the settings according to what best describes your setup.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for all the advice, much appreciated. I actually did something similar to what you suggested, I used a HDMI splitter with the monitor enabled on that port, and that did the trick.

So now I know a little more about HDMI than I used to, thanks for the help everyone.

Will.
nosaelg likes this.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:59 PM

Liked: 10
I was able to solve this problem a different way and am pleased with the result. I connected the HDMI cable from the computer directly to the TV, then ran a digital coax cable out from the TV into the amplifier.

Initially, I was connecting an HDMI cable from my computer graphics card to my amp/receiver then another HDMI cable from the amp to the TV. In theory, this is supposed to work because this is how to connect a game console or DVD player. My computer was able to detect the TV but the TV would not display a picture and the amp would play no sound.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
The problem with connecting a PC (or any device) to your TV using HDMI and then having the audio sent to your receiver from your TV is that you're limited to just stereo audio with this configuraiton. You might as well just connect your PC directly to your receiver using stereo analogue audio cables.
nosaelg likes this.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:39 AM

Yeah, you're right. I just noticed that myself yesterday.... Fortunately, the audio I'm sending from the computer is stereo-only anyways.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpanic15 View Post

Hi and thanks,

yes, I have set the HDMI audio out to be the default device, and also in the sounds and configuration you can direct output to this port.

I also have a graphics card with HDMI output, and tested that in the same way with the same results.

Part of the problem is that I am not sure if the sound is not being correctly output from the PC, or if something is wrong with the amp setup.

thanks,
Will.

I had the same problem ... the issue is that both HDMI ports (on m/b & vid card) are interfering with each other. If you take the vid card out (or get a vid card with no HDMI) the HDMI port on the m/b will work in both stereo and surround.

User Tag List