Yetanuther: Arcam AVR400 or Integra 70.3? (or separates???) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-10-2012, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
About 3 weeks ago I picked up an Onkyo tx-nr818. While I've been happy with the cinematic performance and general feature set, I'm left feeling underwhelmed by the SQ when listening to music (as compared to my 20yr old Nak/McIntosh... still running the mac for the fronts) so I've been contemplating returning it. Bottom line is, I just don't feel the 818 provides the warm richness my previous AVR did (which really surprised me) Note that, currently, all my music comes through my squeezebox (and maybe soon, a sonos).

So... getting to the point of the post, i'm thinking about switching to one of the above AVRs. I can get a decent (not great... <$1800) deal on a demo 70.3... not sure where I could get a deal on the arcam but, at this point, i'm not as concerned about the cost.... just want something I'm gonna be happy with for several years and provides a nice balance between music and cinematic SQ.

If folks would recommend another solution (even separates and I don't *need* to keep the McIntosh 7100... would be nice to keep using it though!) in the sub $3k range I'm all ears. I think my feature *needs* are pretty modest... 5.1 channels plus a second zone. At least 4 HDMI 1.4 inputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-13-2012, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My vote goes for the Arcam AVR 400. It does a great job with multi channel movie soundtracks and still sounds great with 2 channel music. The Arcam will give you that "warm richness " you crave.

Cheers from the Great White North.
My gear: ANTHEM AVM50v, STATEMENT A5 - ARCAM DV139, CD17 - PANASONIC 65VT30 (THX Calibrated) - SONY BDP-S5000ES - PANAMAX 5500EX - M&K V1250THX sub - TANNOY EYRIS DC3, DCC, DC1 - AUDIOQUEST Cables - SHUNYATA RESEARCH Power cords - HARMONY One - PRIMACOUSTIC Recoil Stabilizers
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors