Pioneer Elite SC-35, shutting itself off and coming back on intermittently - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-12-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope someone can help me out. I have an SC-35 and in the last month it has been randomly shutting itself off and then coming back on. It appears quite random, and I'm not even really turning up the volume very high.

Sometimes I could be watching a bluray via my 62FD player, or a stream via my Xbox 365 and 10-15 minutes into the show, and poof, the SC-35 shuts itself off and I hear a loud thump through my speakers. I notice on the SC-35 display, it says "Power On" just when it seems to "reboot" itself.

Any ideas what is causing this? At first I thought it may have been some HDMI control problem, so I turned off HDMI control functions, but it still happens. I've had the SC-35 for about 2 years now, and it has always worked flawlessly until very recently.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-12-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

do any of the various lights on the display of the avr flash?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #3 of 13 Old 11-12-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't noticed any lights flash, but I'll take a closer look next time it happens.
post #4 of 13 Old 11-12-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Check out the loudspeaker wires..
Check both @ the AVR's rear panel and loudspeaker itself, very EZ for a little wire strand to short out and trigger the protection circuit.

Just my $0.02... wink.gif
post #5 of 13 Old 11-12-2012, 02:38 PM

Liked: 11
I had this same problem with my SC-35 and the 52FD. Turns out the bluray player was sending out a signal to shut off the SC-35. Try unplugging the network cable from the SC-35 (assuming you have it connected to a LAN) and see if the problem goes away. This issue drove me absoutely batty. Pioneer has acknoledged the problem and told me if I took my receiver to a Pioneer authorized service center I could have the firmware upgraded to fix the problem. I just left the SC-35 unplugged from my LAN as I wasn't using any of those features anyway.

I hope this isn't your problem since you have an newer bluray player, but, it's worth giving it a shot to see if this is the issue.

-Curtiss
post #6 of 13 Old 11-12-2012, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting problem. I have both the 62FD and SC-35 hooked up to my network. I'll disconnect the Network from my SC-35 and see what happens.

thanks
post #7 of 13 Old 11-14-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

phxdstart, I think the LAN bug you referred to may be been the problem. I've disconnected the network cable from my SC-35 and its been good for the past 2 days now. I'll wait for another few days before calling it resolved. However, things seem to be better already. Thanks!
post #8 of 13 Old 07-13-2013, 08:45 PM

My vsx1020 just started doing this as well... Why would LAN be the issue? I know this thread is old, I am glad I found it because issue not listed anywhere else on web.

There is no such thing as satisfied when it comes to your theater....
post #9 of 13 Old 11-03-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxdsrtrat View Post

I had this same problem with my SC-35 and the 52FD. Turns out the bluray player was sending out a signal to shut off the SC-35. Try unplugging the network cable from the SC-35 (assuming you have it connected to a LAN) and see if the problem goes away. This issue drove me absolutely batty. Pioneer has acknowledged the problem and told me if I took my receiver to a Pioneer authorized service center I could have the firmware upgraded to fix the problem. I just left the SC-35 unplugged from my LAN as I wasn't using any of those features anyway.

I hope this isn't your problem since you have an newer bluray player, but, it's worth giving it a shot to see if this is the issue.

-Curtiss

Hello, Just bought & connected my 62FD to my CS-35 & am having the same problem. Disconnected the A/V from the net & all is OK, but I use the net for music. Talked to Pioneer & got deer in the headlights answer.  DOES pioneer acknowledge this problem & is there a firmware update, or am I chasing my tail?  Did you get you unit fixed by a Pioneer repair depot?

Thanks

Gary, Arcadia California

post #10 of 13 Old 11-06-2013, 06:11 PM

same issue here for my SC35! It powers on then off BUT if I switch it to mutlizone it will stay on. I am lost hopefully one of you guys/gals know what to do to fix this issue
post #11 of 13 Old 11-06-2013, 06:25 PM

Hi Oakleyman,

I plan on snail mailing Pioneer with problem & seeing if I can get an answer. I think their USA operation has an office in North Long Beach. Really irritating seeing as it is the connecting of one of their units its that is causing the problem. I have discovered that when a product hits the shelf, it is considered "last years model" & good luck getting non existing firmware updates. 

post #12 of 13 Old 11-06-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyet View Post

Hi Oakleyman,

I plan on snail mailing Pioneer with problem & seeing if I can get an answer. I think their USA operation has an office in North Long Beach. Really irritating seeing as it is the connecting of one of their units its that is causing the problem. I have discovered that when a product hits the shelf, it is considered "last years model" & good luck getting non existing firmware updates. 

Garyet, Please keep us posted as to what Pioneer tells you!
post #13 of 13 Old 12-20-2013, 09:15 PM

Well my my my..

I did snail mail my problem to Pioneer two months ago & just got this email in response.

Mr. Thiele:

Thank you for your recent letter to Pioneer regarding the above-referenced
products. Please accept our apology for the delay in our response.

Our Service Engineering Department has reviewed the problem you describe
when using the SC-35 and BDP-62FD in combination, and feels that having
both units updated with the latest firmware is an appropriate first step.

You indicate both units have the latest updates, but a new update for the
BDP-62FD is being released this weekend for download via our website.
Please visit the BDP-62FD page anytime after 6:00 PM PST on Saturday
12/21/13 and download the update. If this update does not correct the
problem you describe, please advise by response to this e-mail and we will
provide further assistance.

I was aware of the "promise" of a firmware update & figured, yes, sure.  Will check this out this weekend & report back when downloaded and tested.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 35 A V Receiver