Marantz AV 7701 HDMI pass through mode (watching TV w/o pre pro on) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-12-2012, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
At times I like to watch TV w/o having my pre/pro on, for example watching news or old sitcoms.
I have a four year old Plasma w/o ARC (auto return channel). I have my cable box HDMI routed to pre pro and HDMI out to TV. I have HDMI pass through function set on pre pro, (yellow light is illuminated) in standby mode. When TV is on, I get video and no audio. Is this the way it functions when TV has no ARC? I also connected an optical cable from back of TV to pre pro as instructions say for non ARC TV's.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-13-2012, 05:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

arc sends audio that is generated within the display to the avr, not the other way around... adding the spdif cable won't help either...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #3 of 7 Old 11-13-2012, 10:07 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
As Chris notes above, ARC has no play on this matter, rather on the 7701 you simply need to set HDMI Control to "ON" and the Standby Source to the soruce name being used for the cable box (eg. CBL/SAT). If still no joy, you may have to set the cable box to Stereo only (ie. set Dolby Digital to OFF) and/or set VierraLink on the TV to OFF.

Also note there is a dedicated thread for AV7701 Owners ---> http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412965/marantz-av7701-prepro-official-owners-thread/0_100

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 7 Old 11-14-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

All settings you mentioned were set with the exception on the cable box setting.
I set the audio option to stereo and the corrected the problem. I know have audio through the TV speakers with the AV 7701 in standby mode. Only miner issue is that if I turn on the Av 7701 and want to watch a cable broadcast in DD 5.1 I have to reset the audio output back to DD out versus stereo.

Thanks for assistance

post #5 of 7 Old 11-15-2012, 02:22 AM
585-645-1006

Which is why the better cable box configuration is connecting the HDMI directly to the TV with optical from the box to the AVR which also avoids any future HDMI handshake issues that can present with each new firmware update to the box.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #6 of 7 Old 11-15-2012, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Hum, that is a solution. I would connect the HDMI from cable box to HDMI 2 input on TV, because HDMI 1 is already taken by the AV 7701. I would then connect the optical digital and change one of inputs to optical on the AV 7701. With this configuration I don't have to leave the AV in standby pass thru more (orange light).
Only minor issue, I would have to change the TV input depending on what you are watching TV or AV.
Am I correct with my connections stated?

post #7 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 03:06 AM
585-645-1006

Yup. Pick up a Harmony remote as it is very wife/family friendly and makes that input switching process very simple.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page