Uppgrading from Onkyo 609 to Marantz 6006-6007 (or 7 series?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-13-2012, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all!
I am an owner o fan Onkyo 609 receiver. I have Monitor Audio RX6 speakers.
I have for some reason i can not explain I always have looked at a Marantz receiver.

I am considering upgrading to a 6006 or 6007 receiver. The issue is if I should upgrade or not. It is quite an investment to upgrade from a perfectly well working receiver. I find that the sound quality from my current setup is ok. I can´t help thinking that a better receiver would make my speakers rise to another level. I am also considering saving up for the 7007 series instead. What do you think? Will the 6xxx series be enough for my speakers or should i step it up one more? The 7 series is now a littel to expensive for my wallet.

Will I hear a difference if I upgrade? Enough to justify the investment being made?

If I decide to upgrade, I sit enough with the 6006 or should I buy the 6007? Do you have any other recommendations for receivers in that price range to look at instead?
Maybe the upgrade is not worthwhile?

What are your expierinces? I don´t think I can borrow a machine to try out as there is no local dealer near where I live.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-13-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Bear in mind that the reasons for choosing Marantz over other brands are primarily emotional. Modern quality receivers all have distortion and noise levels far below what you can hear. Any noticeable differences in audio quality will be due to the level of Audyssey room equalization in a new receiver compared to whatever is available in the receiver that you currently have: 2EQ < MultEQ < MultEQ XT < MultEQ XT32

Other than that, you should compare their features and connection options to see which one best meets your needs.

(I have a Marantz pre/pro, so I certainly understand the emotional component of equipment choices wink.gif )

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 9 Old 11-13-2012, 10:53 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1973 Post(s)
Liked: 1747
Upgrading from Audyssey 2EQ to MultEQ XT in any of the Marantz models you listed would likely provide a noticeable bump in audio fidelity with those speakers. Review the features offered in each model to determine which is the lowest model that would meet your requirements as they would all be comparable in audio quality and would all easily drive those speakers.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 9 Old 11-15-2012, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

I have narrowed it down to either buy the new 6007 or the older 6006. The older model is quite cheaper now but i am not sure if i will need 4k for example or that the new receiver model sounds better than the old one? both have Airplay.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-15-2012, 02:27 AM
585-645-1006

Likely no appreciable difference in audio quality between the two models and unless you plan on upgrading to at least an 80" TV or PJ screen, 4k will provide no benefit to you; however, the 6007 offers Spotify, gapless ALAC/FLAC, and DSD over HDMI, and independent Airplay to Zone 2 with another source playing in the main zone, if any of those features are important to you.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #6 of 9 Old 11-15-2012, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Airplay to Zone 2 sounds rather nice, but i hadly ever listen to Flac and i use spotify via airplay from my phone or ipad anyway. Easier to navigate on an ipad then on the receivers menu when using Spotify.
Price difference in dollars between the two would be 260 or 195 Euros.
Maybe worth to save some money? Are there headphone out on the front on both of them?
post #7 of 9 Old 11-15-2012, 02:48 AM
585-645-1006

Note that both models can pass Airplay to Zone 2, rather on the 6006, it must play in the main zone as well when playing to Zone 2, while on the 6007, it can play independently to Zone 2 with another source playing in the main zone. And yes, all models feature a front panel headphone jack.

post #8 of 9 Old 11-15-2012, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Note that both models can pass Airplay to Zone 2, rather on the 6006, it must play in the main zone as well when playing to Zone 2, while on the 6007, it can play independently to Zone 2 with another source playing in the main zone. And yes, all models feature a front panel headphone jack.

Does the feature pn the 6006 in zone 2 apply to all sources or can you for example see a movie on zone 1 and listen to another source on zone 2? Can the 6006 send "picture" via hdmi to zone 2 or justt sound?My current receiver can only send analog sources ti zone 2, can either of the Marantz send both analog and digital sources?

Thanks for your input. which one would you have chosen?
post #9 of 9 Old 11-15-2012, 03:06 AM
585-645-1006

The main zone "hijacking" limitation only applies to Airplay sources. The 6006 can send neither HDMI audio or video to Zone 2, although it can send PCM 2.0 audio over optical/digital coax as well as analog audio to Zone 2, while the 6007 can only send analog audio to Zone 2. Which you choose is a personal choice based on your needs, although personally I prefer Denon and so would choose neither.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors