New to receivers/amps...pretty much home theatre in general. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-14-2012, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently ordered a Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Monitor Series Powered Subwoofer and Polk Audio CS20 Center Channel Speaker to start my set up.
Little did I know (please be gentle) that I'd need a receiver/amplifier for the set up. I'd been anticipating connecting them directly to my TV. That's my fault. So now, I'm looking for a good receiver/amp to go with the setup without breaking the bank. Think...<$300...the lower the better.
I have a LG 32CS460 32-Inch 720p which I'll be looking to upgrade much later on.

Right now I have my sub connected to the cable box...because my TV doesn't have audio out. My ps3 is connected directly to the TV, so my sub is useless for gaming. Don't even get me started on the center speaker...the sub has ports for speaker wire, which I connected the center channel to, but doesn't work. Which I guess is why I need a receiver/amp.

So, I guess my question is....help?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Wow -

What are you using for your main L&R speakers - the TV? Adding a receiver (AVR) with component video out (red, blue & green RCA cables) will be key for you until you upgrade to a TV with HDMI inputs. In the meantime, I believe you can run a second line of speaker wire from either the left or right main output to the subwoofer. It should pull the low frequency signal being directed to the chosen speaker.

Here are a couple of options to start your AVR search with (Again these have the component video out function - not just HDMI) - all under $300

Yamaha
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V373-5-1-Channel-AV-Receiver/dp/B007JF8FD8/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1352931484&sr=1-5&keywords=receiver

Onkyo
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR414-5-1-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B0077V88YU/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1352931484&sr=1-14&keywords=receiver
post #3 of 5 Old 11-14-2012, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff View Post

Wow -
What are you using for your main L&R speakers - the TV? Adding a receiver (AVR) with component video out (red, blue & green RCA cables) will be key for you until you upgrade to a TV with HDMI inputs. In the meantime, I believe you can run a second line of speaker wire from either the left or right main output to the subwoofer. It should pull the low frequency signal being directed to the chosen speaker.
Here are a couple of options to start your AVR search with (Again these have the component video out function - not just HDMI) - all under $300
Yamaha
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V373-5-1-Channel-AV-Receiver/dp/B007JF8FD8/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1352931484&sr=1-5&keywords=receiver
Onkyo
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR414-5-1-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B0077V88YU/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1352931484&sr=1-14&keywords=receiver

Thanks for responding, Scout.
Sorry if I misspoke, my TV does have HDMI inputs. It's connected to the cable box and my ps3 via HDMI, but currently, I have just the subwoofer and the center channel speaker. The center channel is currently a huge paperweight because there's no power going to it. The subwoofer is connected directly to the cable box, because I don't have RCA audio outs on my TV. I tried connecting the speaker wire from the center speaker to the subwoofer, but nothing comes out. frown.gif

I've been doing a bit of research though, and read that Onkyo has issues with HDMI...
post #4 of 5 Old 11-14-2012, 03:18 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked: 1597
If you want a networking AVR then the Denon 1613 ....

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1613/DENON-AVR-1613-5.1ch-Networking-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-ready/1.html

otherwise the Denon 1612 (from same reseller) if networking not required. Neither the previously recommended Onkyo or Yamaha will be able to EQ the subwoofer, while both the Denon 1612 and 1613 can.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 5 Old 11-14-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

If you want a networking AVR then the Denon 1613 ....
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1613/DENON-AVR-1613-5.1ch-Networking-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-ready/1.html
otherwise the Denon 1612 (from same reseller) if networking not required. Neither the previously recommended Onkyo or Yamaha will be able to EQ the subwoofer, while both the Denon 1612 and 1613 can.

That does look good.
I read that the networking is wired, not wireless...meaning I'd have to connect my laptop to it via ethernet cord to play music from?
Also, how reliable would a second-had receiver be? I saw that it says "Denon Refurbished", but I've always been wary about buying electronics secondhand.

Thanks for replying.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page