Help! What should I really be upgrading next???? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-15-2012, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hey guys! I'm kind of confused right now. I don't know what part of my system I should look into upgrading next.

I have a polk cs20 center, 2 tsi 500s, and 2 tsi 200s for my system. I like the speakers. They weren't that expensive and they sound great to me.

I'm currently running them with an Onkyo 509 AVR. I know this AVR is really low end, and I'm probably only getting about 50 clean watts of power out of it as opposed to the 80 the specs say. In reality though, at this exact moment, I try not to listen to my system too loud because I might disturb the people next door, so maybe my AVR has plenty of power for my system in the space its in now (smaller bedroom size) I was thinking of upgrading my AVR next, but I also would really love a subwoofer. I know a subwoofer is contradicting my people next door issue, but I'm talking longer term as to which is a more useful and beneficial purchase for my money. I've decided on the SVS PB12 NSD for the sub I want. So my price for an upgrade is no more than the $769 the SVS would cost me. I'm just confused as to whether to put the money in a better AVR or just get the subwoofer. I think a good quality subwoofer will have a much greater longevity than a new, midrange AVR would. I say this because at my price point I really don't know if any AVR would seriously be worth more of an upgrade than a subwoofer. I personally think the subwoofer will make a much bigger impact in the sound than a new AVR with more power. I just hate the fact of getting a new AVR that is better but only using the same amount of power I'm currently using with my current AVR. I think thats a waste of money personally since I wont be able to crank it up and experience the extra power.

Please give me advice as to what you think would be more beneficial to my setup, given the small space and the not being able to crank it issue. Should I just get my first REAL awesome subwoofer with my money that I will keep for a while, or get a new AVR? Basically is $769 enough money to get a beast of an AVR that will have plenty of power that I will not have to upgrade for years to come, or should I just get the SVS and get a much better AVR later?

AVR demands- plenty of clean power for all my speaker and maybe better ones if I choose to upgrade and ****true subwoofer calibration ability and thats it really.

Thanks guys!

Polk CS20
Polk Tsi 500's
Polk Tsi 200's
Denon 1713
Samsung 37'' LCD
Panasonic DMP-BDT 210
SVS PB-2000
Auralex Great Gramma/MoPAD
Logitech Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-16-2012, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Why buy a higher powered AVR when you can't turn it up?

Why buy a subwoofer when you're just gonna get grief from your neighbors?

IMO, save the money.

Or buy a really good set of headphones.

biggrin.gif
post #3 of 3 Old 11-16-2012, 03:04 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
The Tsi500's are rated from 20W so the 509 has plenty of powe. Where it lacks is it uses the lowest version of Audyssey 2EQ which cannot EQ a sub (although not currently an issue in your case). If the sub is on a good sale, go for the sub, otherwise, as noted above, continue to save your money until you move into a larger space or home and then add the sub and upgrade the AVR to one with either MultEQ or MultEQ XT.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page