Receiver under $1000 (Cannot go above) 7.1? 9.1? Audyssey/MCACC/YPAO?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Originally I was going to pick up the Denon 1712 used for cheap, however, I found a local shop that take my particular credit. They have some new stuff, they have some old stuff. I have 1K purchase power and that is my limit. Here is there link http://abtvaustin.com/_CGI/SEARCH3.HTML?MINOR=AUDIO:COMPON

They have the Pioneer SC-55 for 999. 9.1 Really really is sucking me in as well as NEO-X, although I cant find as much information on NEO-X as I can DSX. Originally I was looking for a DSX model, it also doesn't have the Audyssey calibration and I know people say this is a deal breaker.

They also have the Denon AVR3312CI for 799. This has the Multieq XT and the DSX I was looking for, it's only 7.1 (Only lol I'm coming from 5.1). There are other receivers on there that I'd have to go in or call in for price. Are there alternatives on there that you all think I could make my case for requesting a price < 1K. i.e. if they would I'd happily pay 1000 for the AVR4311CI, but I don't think that is going to happen, I still see it around 1500 everywhere.

My delima is, well one I have the bug, so I feel if I go 7.1 I will always be wondering what it would be like to have wides/heights/backs, cause I have to choose, at least with 9.1 I can put the backs in and feel like I'm "Within the standard with discrete 7.1) and then I can experiment with wides/heights.

I'm coming from a 5.1 Yamaha YHT-493, no calibration, theater in box receiver.

My speakers are Polk CS2/M60's C/L/R premier acoustic PA-6s Surrounds and the PA-150 sub. I feel like my system sounds pretty good with my completely manual and "tool-less" non-metered setup. I basically used a tape measure to set my distances, changed the levels of all my speakers to get the sound I liked. Didn't EQ anything at all, crossover at 80hz for all speakers. So I'm coming from a pretty junk setup that I think sounds pretty good, obviously I don't know what great sounds like so I also wont know what I'm missing. I'm relying on your experiences to help me get the best home theater sound for the money.

VIZIO E601i-A3
AVR: Denon 3312CI
Front L/R: 2 Polk M60's
Center: Polk CS2
Surround L/R: Premier Acoustic PA-6s
Sub: PA-150 Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Is the Sub calibration from Audyssey worth more than an extra 2 channels? Can the sub be manually EQ'd with the pioneer?

VIZIO E601i-A3
post #3 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Don't overthink.

The 3312CI will be more than sufficient compared to what you are coming from. The difference between XT and models with XT32 is the real question. For me XT is all I need in my untreated space (my living room). After many years of quality receivers only and then using the same receivers as prepros, I now use separates with an Onkyo PR-SC885 processor and Parasound amping and have all that I need. But it all came together with Audyssey MultEQ XT. I understand the purists who have disdain for it but room EQ is simply a must have nowadays, especially in untreated spaces.

P.S. I also use the CS2 and love the darn thing. Best $100 I ever spent, thanks to NewEgg sales.

My life is an open book...wish I could read it and have it make sense.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Between the 3312CI and the Pioneer SC-55, $200 difference, you would go with the Denon? I will say this if the Pioneer was just 7.2 I would not even consider it, I only thiink I'm considering it because the 9 channels... Thanks for the help by the way.

VIZIO E601i-A3
post #5 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Personally I'd eke out a bit more and get the Onkyo 818 with XT32. Maybe this Friday it might even be in your budget? With an outboard 2 channel amp it can do 9 channels, too.

post #6 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Personally I'd eke out a bit more and get the Onkyo 818 with XT32. Maybe this Friday it might even be in your budget? With an outboard 2 channel amp it can do 9 channels, too.

Or buy one refurbished and have enough left over for a few six packs.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #7 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Audyssey is more popular due to the size of Onkyyo and Denon, but Pioneer MCACC program does a great job with total system integration and is more easy to tweak after autocalibration. I have a Pioneer Elite and chose it over 2 Denon avr that I kept close to a month before returning them for a refund. They were nice unit, but did not pull the entire system together as well as MCACC. Pioneer uses phase control, standing wave and other tools for bass management, I also have a Premiere Acoustic 150 and have no problems with the sound of my subs. I have a 9.2 setup and really like the addition of front wides. A lot of people don't understand MCACC well and focus on the Sub EQ with Audyssey. If you try a Pioneer Elite, you will not second guess your purchase.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #8 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Or buy one refurbished and have enough left over for a few six packs.

Yep I knew they were available as refurbs but forgot and on the other hand it seems too soon...

post #9 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post

Audyssey is more popular due to the size of Onkyyo and Denon, but Pioneer MCACC program does a great job with total system integration and is more easy to tweak after autocalibration. I have a Pioneer Elite and chose it over 2 Denon avr that I kept close to a month before returning them for a refund. They were nice unit, but did not pull the entire system together as well as MCACC. Pioneer uses phase control, standing wave and other tools for bass management, I also have a Premiere Acoustic 150 and have no problems with the sound of my subs. I have a 9.2 setup and really like the addition of front wides. A lot of people don't understand MCACC well and focus on the Sub EQ with Audyssey. If you try a Pioneer Elite, you will not second guess your purchase.

I did use a Pioneer with MCACC before I got my Onkyo. I think the Pioneer sounded fine, but think the XT does a better job and does have more capabilities for my subs, but didn't have the same setup when I had the Pioneer in my main room. Also my Pioneer crapped out after 2 years (after relegated to the bedroom as it was only 1.3 and I needed 1.4), so not too hot on them right now. Onkyo is only 1 year old, tho smile.gif

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page