5.1 Analog output via DB25 parallel port possible? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-16-2012, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi!

I have an older Rotel AVR with 5.1 analog input via DB25. Is it possible to direct audio to the parallel port on the desktop to send to AVR?

Thanks and any advice much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-16-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
While there were soundcards that attached to parallel ports of PC, they were only 8-bit and mono. The DB25 connector on PCs is an 8-bit digital inerface ment for connecting to printers, and is not in any way compatible the analogue audio DB25 connector on Rotel receivers.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Not possible with a PC's DB25 port; however, it would be quite possible to build yourself a cable that takes the analog audio from the multi-channel 3.5mm mini-jacks. Professional studio mixers use a DB25 port to patch audio from source to mixer. You might be able to buy a ready-made cable with 1/4" jacks and use a 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter. Most of these cables are made for a specific mixer, so you would FIRST need a pin diagram of your AVR's port to match it with the cable.

This cable has 8 RCA-type connectors, so you would need the little RCA to 3.5mm splitters that split the paired signals from the PC ports to the individual channels in your AVR.

RCA to DB25 -- http://www.infinitecables.com/pop/av_s8-25-rca.htm

3.5mmStereo to RCA mono pair -- http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5611&seq=1&format=2
doozergreengrass likes this.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #4 of 5 Old 11-17-2012, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies.

I have considered the DB25 to RCA option, and Rotel will send one here to the local Rotel dealer in Oz for around $60. However, from what I gather on some other computing oriented forums it may be possible to simply upgrade the PC's vid or audio card and bitstream audio to the AVR via TOSLINK or COAX. I'm not quite sure what formats would be available via toslink but I assume just standard 2 channel PCM stereo, and standard DTS and DD?

I'm quite unsure what to do as I know that if I want any HD audio, I must use the Rotels analog (DB25) input. From what I gather certain HD sounds can't be bitstream due to copright protection? Also i'm pretty happy with the standard DD and DTS formats and have nothing to compare to make a choice.

Btw if it helps the AVR is an RSX-965 and i'm not interested in upgrading atm!

Is it worth going up the HD audio path? Will it be noticable on my modest system?! biggrin.gif
post #5 of 5 Old 11-17-2012, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
There isn't a defined way of transmitting formats like Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio over SPDIF, even for sources that aren't copyprotected.

Any PC with a coaxial/optical output should let you bitstream Dolby Digital or DTS soundtracks from media that's already encoded in this format, or in format your player can downmix into one of these formats. Few PCs or add-in soundcards are able to do realtime Dolby Digital or DTS encoding so if you want surround sound in games you'll need a card that comes with a Dolby Digital Live or DTS Interactive encoder. If your PC has already multichannel analogue outputs than that $60 cable may be a cheaper option.
doozergreengrass likes this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page