Nad is better then McIntosh? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 51 Old 11-20-2012, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
arny what is the coolest system that you ever heard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 11-20-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint View Post

Please explain why you think this.
While McIntosh is expensive the specs and materials are top notch.
I also do not see complaints about reliability on the various forums.
I don't have any 'high end' components but if I were to ever go that direction McIntosh would be at the top of my wish list (assuming money was no object) if for no other reason than I like the way it looks.
If there are factors that really do make McIntosh another Bose I would like to know.

I used the term "a little far fetched" because I respect other people's opinions. McIntosh is expensive but they are built like a tank, to call them "overpriced, marginal to horrible" is plain ignorant. (He expressed his opinion, I'm expressing mine.) I bought mine used, I plan on keeping it and willing it to my son. (I'm 53 and hope to be around for a while) How many components can anyone say that about?

post #33 of 51 Old 11-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

are you using mcintosh speakers with the amp akhter?
Quote:

what are you using for your pre amp with your mcintosh power amp akhter?

My speakers are B&W 802 Diamonds (new spec).

My pre-amp is Linn Akurate DSM.

Those who compare Bose with Mcintosh are probably people you have never heard or experienced Mcintosh gear first hand.
* mcintosh build quality is absolutely top notch. everything is handmade in new york. bose stuff is plastic and toy like.
* mcintosh stuff is expensive but it also sounds very good. bose stuff doesn't sound hifi (to me)
* mcintosh stuff lasts forever. even 40 year old mcintosh stuff sounds as good as in many cases.
* mcintosh stuff hold value better than an other audio brand that i know of.you buy a mac power amp and use for 10-15 years and resell and get more than 50pc value back. try that with bose (or any other brand)

just because you can't afford mac gear or don't value looks/build quality or resale value doesn't make mac crap wink.gif
post #34 of 51 Old 11-21-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

i just saw some b&w diamond speakers like yours on craigslist today for over 2 grand. is mctontosh better quality then rotel akh. so many brands are built in china anymore. I wish that it was made in America.
post #35 of 51 Old 11-21-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

akh what do you think of the brand meredian?
post #36 of 51 Old 11-21-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

how come I have seen some post on here saying that when they used mctintosh amps that everything started sounding to bright? do you all think that mctintosh amps are to bright?
post #37 of 51 Old 11-21-2012, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
My classmate had a pair of MC275s, not sure what version but not the newest ones running some Wilson Benesch speakers. I hadn't heard tube amps prior to hearing his system but I can see why people like them so much. He was immediately upfront about the higher THD and overall less measured performance vs. high performance solid-states (he now owns a pair of MC301s), but when it came to non-fatigue listen all day feel good music, the tube amp almost had me sold. Almost.. That being said, I can see how a Mac would hold it's value years from now. Very few have been able to replicate that teal glass look with much success. Thread divergence aside, they're on my dream list as well.

Marantz SR-5007
Klipsch WF-35, WC-24, WB-14
SVS PB-2000
LG 55LN5600
Sony PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U
post #38 of 51 Old 11-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I didn't really consider meridian as you have to use a complete meridian system and have to stay with meridian to get the full benefit. meridian speakers are active/powered and use digital connections. i wanted ability to switch around/upgrade to different brands in the future.

I have heard everything from b&w diamonds being too 'bright' to mcintosh amps being too slow and b&w+mac combination being fantastic to being a terrible combination from dealers, and forum members.

Only one dealer had the combination and I loved the sound and the look and bought it. I am more than happy with the sound.

Infact, coupled with the linn dsm, i don't think there is a more flexible or better sounding system that I have heard smile.gif

my living room sounds like a rock concert hall (but better!)
post #39 of 51 Old 11-22-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

how come I have seen some post on here saying that when they used mctintosh amps that everything started sounding to bright? do you all think that mctintosh amps are to bright?

You really can't take an opinion or two as gospel. I have read some redicolous opinions on avs forum and other boards as well. McIntosh has a reputation of having a tube like sound, far from being bright. After living with mine for five years, I agree.

post #40 of 51 Old 11-22-2012, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Wow, who would say Macs are bright? Some may say overpriced but like Bryston extremely well built. They also have a bit of a cult following. I would certainly welcome a Mac amp or two into my house. You could even send 800Ds with them.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
post #41 of 51 Old 11-22-2012, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

I would certainly welcome a Mac amp or two into my house. You could even send 800Ds with them.
+1

Regards,
Charlie

post #42 of 51 Old 11-24-2012, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint View Post

Please explain why you think this.
While McIntosh is expensive the specs and materials are top notch.
I also do not see complaints about reliability on the various forums.
I don't have any 'high end' components but if I were to ever go that direction McIntosh would be at the top of my wish list (assuming money was no object) if for no other reason than I like the way it looks.
If there are factors that really do make McIntosh another Bose I would like to know.

McIntosh makes some very sturdy amplifiers. For half the price you can get an equally sturdy and much better sounding tube amp or preamp. McIntosh has also made some absolutely horrible loudspeakers that are incredibly overpriced. Aesthetically, their designs are horrible as well. McIntosh relies on a brand identity, just as Bose does. Most people that are into McIntosh are elderly, or have been convinced by an elderly person that they are the best.
post #43 of 51 Old 11-24-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

riff speaking of elderly a lot of times I see a rotel receiver on ebay it came from a estate sale. It is sad that the person died and didn't get to enjoy there music anymore and family is selling off there gear instead of enjoying it. Maybe it took that elerly person years to afford that overpriced rotel surrund sound receiver. I have heard in the past riff that people feel like McIntosh you pay a premium for when you shouldn't have to for equally good sound in other brands. bose overcharges also.
post #44 of 51 Old 11-24-2012, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

riff speaking of elderly a lot of times I see a rotel receiver on ebay it came from a estate sale. It is sad that the person died and didn't get to enjoy there music anymore and family is selling off there gear instead of enjoying it. Maybe it took that elerly person years to afford that overpriced rotel surrund sound receiver. I have heard in the past riff that people feel like McIntosh you pay a premium for when you shouldn't have to for equally good sound in other brands. bose overcharges also.

In the case of the Mac, you get something to back it up though. Their amps are substantial and look amazing (something that always will be brought up), where as Bose uses technical jargon to slap a 3k price tag on a set of plastic boxes and paper woofers that couldn't have cost more than 250 to make. I'd be envious of someone with a Mac amp - I just feel bad for anyone who bought Bose.

Marantz SR-5007
Klipsch WF-35, WC-24, WB-14
SVS PB-2000
LG 55LN5600
Sony PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U
post #45 of 51 Old 11-24-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

psycholis I hear that bose won't let stores have bose products to compare by other brands. I got tricked into thinking that bose sounded good at sams club once. I didn't buy the speakers but the sams worker almost convinced me to buy the surround sound system. This was along time ago before I started hearing much better brands. I feel like these hi fi stores are slowly decreasing. I have seen them come and go a lot over the years. Is it partially amazon and newegg fault for offering cheaper prices then the hi fi store on the same product?
post #46 of 51 Old 11-24-2012, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

riff do you mean the McIntosh speakers sound to bright and no bass?
post #47 of 51 Old 11-25-2012, 11:37 AM

Liked: 10
In the past I have owned McIntosh equipment, the build quality is second-to-none. Everything about this company is first class. That being said, you have to ask yourself if it is worth the money. Only you can answer that question. The original statement in this thread was NAD is better than McIntosh. If we are taking votes I vote for Mcintosh.smile.gif
post #48 of 51 Old 01-11-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

I used the term "a little far fetched" because I respect other people's opinions. McIntosh is expensive but they are built like a tank, to call them "overpriced, marginal to horrible" is plain ignorant. (He expressed his opinion, I'm expressing mine.) I bought mine used, I plan on keeping it and willing it to my son. (I'm 53 and hope to be around for a while) How many components can anyone say that about?

the passing down is one of the main reasons I would buy one as well....and I am only 25! However, sometimes it costs less to buy the best.

I know alot of people say it is better to buy Emotiva because they are cheaper....but they are made in China. I would rather have a product that has great resale value and can stand the test of time and support a company that builds their products in the states that save a buck and have to maybe replace/repair something....IMO atleast.

That said, even though I love McIntosh and will probably buy one as a reference....I plan to build my amps when I learn more about them and compare them to a Mac.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #49 of 51 Old 01-21-2013, 03:27 PM

Liked: 10
For my two-channel system I have a McIntosh MC-2205 amp I've owned since 1978.......never been worked on except to replace a few light panel bulbs. It has always worked perfectly, still sounds as beasty as it did when I was in college. Same can be said for my McIntosh MR-77 FM tuner, which I've owned since 1974. What are the odds my NAD T-175 HD pre-pro I'm using in my multi channel set up will be operationsl 35 years from now?
post #50 of 51 Old 10-10-2013, 11:33 AM

Liked: 12

I have had the NAD Masters Series electronics (M3, M4 & M5) for over three years and recently purchased a McIntosh MCD500 SACD player.  The NAD equipment is definitely fine quality (though the SACD player needed to be repaired after the warranty expired), but the MCD500 is a better unit; I've auditioned some of my favorite CDs on the McIntosh and hear things I never heard before on the M5, overall I'd say it has a more natural, "warm" sound (especially at the high end).

My next purchase will probably be a McIntosh MAC6700 receiver.  I find the McIntosh amps that use the autoformer on the output stage sound warm, fast and smooth.  I've listened to the MA6700 (the integrated amp version) with my speakers (Totem Fire monitors), and the combination sounds really awesome!

post #51 of 51 Old 10-31-2013, 12:45 PM

Liked: 12

Back in the late 70's - early 80's I sold high-end audio equipment and hoped some day to be able to afford McIntosh equipment.  We sold a fair amount of McIntosh electronics and our customers were very happy with their purchases, as they hardly ever broke and I can't remember a single customer asking to return their purchase to the store.  I always found the McIntosh equipment to be very warm and smooth, and that it seemed to be able to drive a wider variety of loudspeakers very well (some amps combined with some speakers just sounded too "shrill" to me...listening to music 40+ hours per week).

I also really liked the sound of the old Tandberg equipment, it seemed to be "fast" and very clean.  After leaving the audio business I stumbled onto NAD equipment, when the company was fairly new and have had three systems anchored with NAD electronics, my current setup is the NAD Masters Series M3, M4 & M5.

I told my wife and son that I might do an upgrade to McIntosh, that I expected the sound to be "different" but not "better".  About a month ago I bought a McIntosh MCD500 SACD player and am "eating those words", as this CD player IS "better" than the NAD M5; I'm hearing new things from my favorite CDs.  In a few, I'll be putting my NAD electronics up for sale and will probably get a MAC6700 receiver.

It seems that NAD is moving full force into digital.  They've discontinued the M4 tuner and M5 SACD player, and only offer units that read standard "Red Book" CDs.  It wouldn't surprise me if they discontinue the M3.  For the price I paid, the M3, M4 & M5 setup was really a great value, I'm sorry to see that they are moving away from the type of equipment I currently own.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page