AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   Nad is better then McIntosh? (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1439765-nad-better-then-mcintosh.html)

keyboardcat 11-17-2012 10:56 PM

I heard that it was.

keyboardcat 11-17-2012 10:58 PM

this guys comment in the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWOP55cb_C8 said that he has used both brands. He thought that the NAD had more of it's sound stage open.
do you all agree or disagree with him?

psycholis 11-17-2012 11:13 PM

Needs more artifacts in that video. Also, random comparison using a video with 2k views and 2/3s red bar probably isn't the best source. So what's the point of this thread? Is brand A better than brand B? It depends on what you define as 'better'. Both NAD and McIntosh make a large range of products so do you have a specific product to compare in each line?

vzphoneman 11-18-2012 06:08 AM

The Mac would have more long term value.

Paraneer 11-18-2012 07:08 AM

I am curious why you would ask this question? From the examples you offer, only one person posted a comment on youtube saying it was because he owned both brands and now has the NAD.

If that is the case, then Parasound is better than NAD. Why? Because I now own Parasound when I use to have NAD and I say it is.

See how ridiculous some anonymous youtube comment is. See how ridiculous my comment is.

Dr_Mark 11-18-2012 07:54 AM

Very subjective, can you afford Mcintosh? If not, I would say the NAD is better for you.

danielo 11-18-2012 08:00 AM

This type of question always need context :

Price point
Goal of use
Better for who
Better in what
Do you already own it

Now NAD has a bigger price-range than McIntosh making the question even weirder imho.

Daniel.

lefthandluke 11-18-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

Very subjective, can you afford Mcintosh? If not, I would say the NAD is better for you.


i would say that's it, in a nutshell...

so there is yer answer

keyboardcat 11-18-2012 02:02 PM

I heard a Mcintosh amp before. I forget the model number. It sounded okay, but it was to bright. I didn't have more examples to give psycholis. I found it interesting that somebody would challenge the quality of Mcintosh. That is why I brought this subject up. A lot of people like both brands. I have heard that Mcintosh is overpriced for what you get.

keyboardcat 11-18-2012 09:55 PM

psycholis would the master series be the closest match to it? I have only heard the bee series.

keyboardcat 11-18-2012 09:57 PM

drmark just because something cost more doesn't mean that it sounds better. Arcam stuff I looked at was more expensive then NAD. I preferred the NAD. I did hear parasound once and liked it. I hear that some of the halo power amps have had some issues though messing up for some people.

Riffmeister 11-18-2012 10:06 PM

McIntosh is very similar to Bose. A company with marginal to horrible, overpriced products that are highly regarded by the uninformed.

Dr_Mark 11-18-2012 10:57 PM

While I understand that price alone does not make anything better, clearly he has not taken the time to listen or hunt out a MC dealer. If he can't afford it, the NAD is better "for him."

gurkey 11-19-2012 02:39 AM

McIntosh has roughly the same position as Leica has in the camera body market.
It is a "boutique" product, which delivers good quality at extraordinary prices with some special "quirks" of its own.
Others may provide the same listening experience at much lower pricing levels but without the aura and image of "owning a McIntosh".

ccotenj 11-19-2012 05:15 AM

^^^

+1...

i want one someday... smile.gif

arnyk 11-19-2012 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

I heard that it was.

Thread title: NAD is better then McIntosh?

First off, when we say that one product is better than another without qualification, then we must be addressing the gestalt or whole entire shape or image of the product. That covers many dimensions of performance, including sound quality, reliability, human engineering, appearance, relevant features, etc.

However, based on the rest of the thread, it appears that only sound quality is actually being talked about.

Why would anyone believe that either of them was so technically defective as to impart a characteristic coloration to the music they process?

keyboardcat 11-19-2012 08:29 AM

arny I know I need to have some models to compare it to. I just found it strange that the guy on youtube would be so bold to put mcintosh down since it's well liked. have you got to hear a lot of models from both? Do you like one or the other better or both sound pretty good to you?

keyboardcat 11-19-2012 08:34 AM

good points gurkey and riffmeister. People buy bose a lot, but it doesn't always sound the best. for what you get the prices are high. people say that so many other brands are better then bose at cheaper prices. Is it kind of like the women who spend a lot on a Louis Vuitton purse for the name instead of a purse that's just as good cheaper?

keyboardcat 11-19-2012 08:37 AM

drmark the only time that I heard the amp was when it was playing through 5,500 dollar magnepan speakers. I feel like you are discriminating against me for not being able to afford the amp. Affording a amp has nothing to do with how it sounds. If I hear a cheap or expensive amp I may still like it.

keyboardcat 11-19-2012 08:39 AM

drmark the guy on youtube could afford both, but he preferred the nad so you can't say it's because people can't afford it. his own comment.


I just got this same NAD too, and after years of using McIntosh, and if my electrostatic Martin Logan's and my blue point special evo III needle don't lie, this is a better amplifier in the sense that it's sound is more stage open. not to mention the price compared to a Mcintosh!!!

veryintricated

akhter 11-20-2012 02:13 AM

is a Lexus better than a Bentley?

If you are looking for value, or fuel efficiency or reliability, surely Lexus is better. If you want a Bentley in your garage, surely the Lexus can't begin to compete...

Also what product do you mean? Mcintosh makes amps, speakers, receivers, cd players, and even wall clocks. If only looking at amps, there are integrated, pre, power as well are AV pre amps.

I own a mcintosh power amp, and i won't buy NAD power amps. Because I like bentleys in my garage.

I also won't buy anything based on a youtube video.

keyboardcat 11-20-2012 02:35 AM

are you using mcintosh speakers with the amp akhter? Lexus is nice, but I hear they have had some recalls over the years. toyota prius up to 2011 had a recall recently because of water pump issues and something else. I like your kirby icon maxweber. What amp would you say is as good or better then mcintosh maxweber?

keyboardcat 11-20-2012 02:36 AM

what are you using for your pre amp with your mcintosh power amp akhter?

psycholis 11-20-2012 11:44 AM

I've heard both at a stereo shop in town through a pair of Klipsch RF-7 IIs and couldn't tell you the difference. If it matters to you, the Mac amps look amazing. Was a Nad M3 and a McIntosh MA6300. Both were very much out of my range, but the guy was happy to let me sample them. Also included was a Marantz PM15S2.

keyboardcat 11-20-2012 11:45 AM

what did you think about the marantz?

arnyk 11-20-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post


I just found it strange that the guy on youtube would be so bold to put mcintosh down since it's well liked.

Ever hear of people who say strange things just to get people's attention?

Quote:
have you got to hear a lot of models from both?

Yes.
Quote:
Do you like one or the other better or both sound pretty good to you?

They both sound pretty good to me. I think I heard my first McIntosh system in 1960 or so...

Lets see if I can go that far down memory lane. C19 preamp and a couple of MC75 power amps?

Marantz 7 preamp and dual model 9s?

I've heard a number of pretty cool systems over the years....

g_bartman 11-20-2012 11:58 AM

I have a NAD reciever I use in a secondary system and a Mcintosh mc252 driving my main speakers in my theater system. Obviously, I like both brands because I own both. I did hook the 252 up to the pre outs on the NAD once to compare them. To me, the 252 was the clear winner. More dynamic, clearer mids and highs. It has twice the rated power as the Nad and costs a lot more so it's not a fair fight. I know the McIntosh is looked at by some as being overpriced but the build quality can not be questioned. I know someone who has a 50+ year old Mac and it sounds and works as good as ever. To me, comparing McIntosh to Bose is a little far fetched.

chashint 11-20-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

Very subjective, can you afford Mcintosh? If not, I would say the NAD is better for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke View Post

i would say that's it, in a nutshell...
so there is yer answer

I like Dr Mark's answer too.

chashint 11-20-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffmeister View Post

McIntosh is very similar to Bose. A company with marginal to horrible, overpriced products that are highly regarded by the uninformed.

Please explain why you think this.
While McIntosh is expensive the specs and materials are top notch.
I also do not see complaints about reliability on the various forums.

I don't have any 'high end' components but if I were to ever go that direction McIntosh would be at the top of my wish list (assuming money was no object) if for no other reason than I like the way it looks.
If there are factors that really do make McIntosh another Bose I would like to know.

keyboardcat 11-20-2012 02:00 PM

gbartman do you mean that mctintosh is the same quality as older reliable solid state amps?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.