Purchase Decision - Yamaha RX-V667 or RX-V573 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-18-2012, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been shopping for a receiver and found two good deals. I know that different people may have their own opinion which could be different. Nonetheless, I would like to get some advice since I practically have no experience, I just started to read up on this for a little over a week. Here are the deals:

1. Open box Yamaha RX-V573 - All is included. the price is $295.

2. Open box Yamaha RX-V667 - No accessories included, no box, only receiver itself. Price is $110. (not sure if this a problem or not but the volume knob on this one seems a bit stiffer, turns smooth only stiffer)

I will be using this mainly using my setup for movies (90% of the time). I have or plan on buying these speakers: I will be setting up a 5.1 right now and in the future add on for a 7.1/7.2 setup.

Front - 2 Polk Monitor II 60
Center - Polk CS2
Surround - 2 Polk RC85i (plan on buying this week)
Sub - Polk PSW505 (plan on buying this week)

The 667 has a much better price, but with no remote, mic,... I don't mind paying the $295 for the 573, but I would like the "better" receiver if that can be quantified.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-18-2012, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have a 867 in my basement and don't have any problems. You can probably pick up a spare yammie remote and setup mic on ebay, etc. You can probably use an existing programmable remote and find the right Yamaha codes. Might even prefer a sound meter and do your own calibration.

If you are using a remote then do you really care if the knob is stiff?

I'd just make sure you get the warranty confirmed on whatever route you go and return policy. If you are doing the BB open box then at $110 the extended warranty would be pretty cheap and it may be worth your while. Also, if BB, ask if they have a spare remote laying around as they might.

And, most importantly, make sure you have power to drive speakers.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-18-2012, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
wes182 - thanks for your input. I did find a remote on sale for around $40 for the 667.

About the volume knob, my concern was not about using it, it was more if that could indicate that this was defective and possibly have other issues given that.

Yes, this is from BB and the extended warranty is only 25 for 4 years.

Your comment about having power to drive the speakers...are you saying that 667 may not have enough power to drive the speakers I may be using. Sorry if this question is trivial or does not make sense, I just want to make sure I understand what you are saying. Thanks again for your help.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-18-2012, 09:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 382
either one of those receivers has enough to drive the Polk Monitor 60's especially if you have a powered sub in the mix.

Afro GT
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V573 Receiver , Yamaha Rx V667 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V573 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page