Expert Advice Needed - Denon AVR-3313CI or Onkyo TX-NR818 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-19-2012, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm hoping some of you audio experts will be able to give me some advice on a purchase I want to make this week: Onkyo TX-NR818 or Denon AVR-3313CI
I've owned an older Denon for years, and it's been good. I have access to a good price on the Onkyo models through my work. That's why I've ended up with these two models to choose from. I'll end up paying about $140 more for the Denon.

I have a 7.1 Paradigm system of mid-level quality, which I'm happy with. Currently a single room setup, though I am open to using another zone down the road. Not critical though.
I use a Logitech Harmony remote, but am not a big Apple fan and will probably never use Airplay. My AV area is network ready.

I need to upgrade in order to have HDMI inputs for my 1 - Blu-Ray player, 2 - HD Satellite Receiver, 3 - XBox, 4 - Samsung E8000 TV running Netflix, etc.

From what I've read, I seem to have found that Denon is a more respected brand with better reliability, and that Onkyo is a little inferior to Denon in quality, but gives you more features for the price. Maybe some of you have thoughts on that?
Where I have really gotten out of my league is in the feature sets of both receivers. There's a lot of terms I haven't heard of before, and I just want it to sound great when I watch a movie, sports, etc.

I'm hoping some of you experts and/or audio veterans can give me your advice. It would be great to hear which model you think i should get, along with the reasons for your suggestion.

Thanks!:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-19-2012, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Bump...would still appreciate any thoughts or advice. smile.gif
post #3 of 6 Old 11-20-2012, 02:41 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
The 818 offers the much better version of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 so should provide better audio quality; however, based on the past few years, Onkyo's QA is suspect, not to mention the current issues with the 818 (see Owner's thread). Select the model that best meets your features/input/output requirements. See post #2 of the Denon AVR-XX13 Owner's thread linked in my sig for info on the 3313CI.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 6 Old 11-22-2012, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I will definitely check out that info.
For me, quality is probably most important, and when I say quality I mean problem-free operation. I just don't want to be bothered with flaky/faulty equipment, and it sounds like there' s a lot higher chance of that with the Onkyo model. If the Onkyo was somehow soooo much better for a similar price, it would be tempting to go with that. But the Onkyo only has some slight advantages, then I'd prefer to go with the brand that has the better reputation.

My problem is that I don't know the audible difference between the two (especially the XT32 you mentioned) in order to make a decision. Both models have the inputs and outputs that I need.

I suppose you would recommend the Denon?

Still open to anyone else's thoughts/opinions before I place the order....thanks.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-23-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Denon it is. Ordered. Thanks.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-23-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by camputer. View Post

Denon it is. Ordered. Thanks.

Hi camputer, to tell you the truth I wouldn't have limited my choise to only those two AVRs when it comes to make big decision. Audyssey MultEQ XT 32 is the best bet today when it comes to room correction software, but you always have a chance to look around on Audyssey's website to find the AVR that suits you best.

Just my 2 cents! smile.gif

Cheers, Feri

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page