TX-NR709 Fried all my speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-20-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a Onkyo 709 about three months ago and everything had been working fine with it up till a few days ago. Then I was playing a game with the volume around -40db when all the speakers started to make a crackling sound then a very loud pop came from all of them. Then no sound at all. Tried different input sources and nothing so I figured something happened to the receiver. Took it into a shop for warranty repair and got a call yesterday saying everything is fine with it. So I grab my multimeter from work and start checking speakers and all of them are toast. I've got polk monitor 50's for fronts, Cs2 for center and monitor 30's for surrounds. They all have wildly different ohm readings. One will read 24 another 16 and so on. Pulled the drivers out of one cabinet and Checked and one woofer now reads 16 another 60 the tweeter 24. Tried hooking the drivers up seperately to another receiver and they barely play any sound. Just very low and very distorted. Does anyone have an idea on what could have caused this? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-20-2012, 10:02 AM

Liked: 45
So far all indications are the Onkyo. I'd phone the shop again, and tell them about your speakers.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-20-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

I did call them back and he just kept saying that he has no idea how that would happen. I talked to another person and he said possibly the power supply could have done something weird and sent high amperage dc power out to all the speakers which could have fried them all so quickly.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-20-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwc0442 View Post

I bought a Onkyo 709 about three months ago and everything had been working fine with it up till a few days ago. Then I was playing a game with the volume around -40db when all the speakers started to make a crackling sound then a very loud pop came from all of them. Then no sound at all. Tried different input sources and nothing so I figured something happened to the receiver. Took it into a shop for warranty repair and got a call yesterday saying everything is fine with it. So I grab my multimeter from work and start checking speakers and all of them are toast. I've got polk monitor 50's for fronts, Cs2 for center and monitor 30's for surrounds. They all have wildly different ohm readings. One will read 24 another 16 and so on. Pulled the drivers out of one cabinet and Checked and one woofer now reads 16 another 60 the tweeter 24. Tried hooking the drivers up seperately to another receiver and they barely play any sound. Just very low and very distorted. Does anyone have an idea on what could have caused this? Thanks for any help.

When you say read 24 and 16 and so on, what are you referring to? Ohms?
post #5 of 6 Old 11-20-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

When you say read 24 and 16 and so on, what are you referring to? Ohms?

Yes ohms.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-20-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Could the receiver had sent out DC power to all the outputs? Ive been searching everywhere online and thats the only explanation that I have come across that makes sense. There are a couple other threads online that something similar has happened. So I'm guessing if the receiver did it once it would be a good possibility that it could do it again?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr709
Gear in this thread - Nr709 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page