Receiver suggestions sub-$750 (including refurb) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-20-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
In the market for my first receiver in 15 years. Starting with the receiver, then going for speakers, etc.

Must have a powered zone 2 and internet connectivity for streaming services. Smartphone remote app would be ideal considering on the patio it's going to be lighter on the battery than streaming from the phone and pushing it to the stereo via bluetooth.

I've been browsing and the Onkyo NR717 ($500) and the refurb Denon 3312ci ($700) have stuck out to me. However, maybe there is something I don't know about, which is where you guys come in.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-20-2012, 10:37 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1987 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
You're much better served selecting the speakers first as they may limit your choice in AVR selection (although both models you listed have a full set of pre-outs so you can add an external amp if required). Of the two you listed the 717 uses the lowest version of Audyssey 2EQ which cannot EQ the sub, while the 3312CI uses the more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT which not only has 16x more speaker filter control points than does 2EQ, but can also EQ the sub.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 5 Old 11-20-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the reply. Selecting the speakers before I have anything to hook them up to just seems so counter-intuitive. I just figured buy the speakers around the receiver, not vice versa. Unfortunately, I can legitimize the receiver purchase to my wife, in order to get sound out to our new patio. Making an argument as to why we need new speakers for the great room might be a little more difficult!
post #4 of 5 Old 11-20-2012, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
at that price point there are some excellent deals to be had

i am in a similar position, but i already have speakers (KEF IQ series)

receivers i have considered are

-Denon 2312/3312
-Yamaha a810
-pioneer SC-61
-pioneer SC-1222k (same as sc-61, just not tagged as elite)

I am going to go with the pioneer sc-1222k, but all are good choices. Reliability with denon is a little dicey from what i have read on the 3312, and to make the denon fit in this price point you have to buy refurbished which id rather not do. the amp section of the pioneers with the new class D amps that are 4 ohm certified are more robust than the others in the price bracket. this is good for "future proofing" your setup should you choose to add less sensitive or more power hungry speakers in the future.

additionally, the smartphone and tablet app for the pioneer is incredible and fun and easy to use. i liked it much better than denon, and also better than yamaha. this is very important to me and looks like it may be for you as well.

the SC-1222k was on sale from 1099 to 599 on newegg and amazon yesetrday and almost certainly go back on a similar or more discounted sale this weekend. i am waiting for this to make my move.

id branch out to consider some of the options above in addition to what you listed.

good luck.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-20-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 240
I don't think you need to buy the speakers first. It's not like there are certain receivers that are better than others with particular speakers. Some will argue you need something with 4 ohm speakers and my experience is that's nonsense. I would look at the denon 3312 or the pioneer 1222 mentioned above. Those are probably your best choices in your price range at the moment.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page