Just bought AVR with 2EQ - can I run it, then manually calibrate my sub? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-21-2012, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First post! Hi everyone. Hope to learn a bit about the limitations of 2EQ and how I can get the best correction/calibration for my living room.

Wound up buying the Onkyo TX-NR515 - counting on the firmware issues finally being sorted out. I originally wanted a low-mid Denon, but I'm on a budget and the 515 has everything I want (a ton of inputs, 7 channels) at a price I could afford (just over 300 dollars). I'm in Canada, by the way.

What are my options for calibrating my subwoofer? I dont have much experience but eager to pick up some intermediate to advanced knowledge. I understand that 2EQ (unfortunately the Onkyo rigs all use that, and not MultEQ) does nothing for subs. So once I've used 2EQ to correct the other channels, how would I go about setting up the sub? Both in terms of placement, and also volume/crossover/delay.

I have a single 8" woofer, medium sized room, 2 good towers (custom built by a family friend who's an audiophile and engineer) and a bunch of cheap but fairly nice Athena bookshelf speakers and a small Athena center speaker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm looking forward to answers to this question too! I'm in the same boat. I do notice that Audyssey does set the distance to the sub, which turns out greater than the actual distance, and I've learned to keep the calculated distance, as the increase has something to do with the delay in the sub circuitry itself (don't quote me on that).

I generally am constantly tweaking the gain control knob on the sub depending what I'm listening to, for BR, or TV content, or regular DVD, it all seems to change the 'loudness' of the sub and I am always tweaking the gain to where I want it.

Again, I look foward to learning any more tweaks I can do in the Onkyo setup for the sub.

thanks,
Todd
Old 11-21-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
The 515 will set the distance and level for the sub, it just won't "equalize" it. It will set the crossover for the other speakers and send anything below that to the sub, so in effect it's also setting the crossover. My 616 is my 4th or 5th receiver with auto setup and they've all had these capabilities. Before running auto setup make sure the sub is on, turn the crossover control to it's maximum, and the volume knob about halfway. When the auto setup is done check the subwoofer level selected by the receiver. If it's at or near it's lowest setting (-15db on my Onkyo) that means it couldn't turn the sub level down far enough. Turn the volume knob on the sub down and rerun the auto setup until the receiver comes up with something around 0db for the subwoofer level.

If your receiver auto setup decides your speakers are large and/or sets them to small but, in your opinion, doesn't set the crossover low enough you can manually change them to small or raise their crossover level as desired without affecting the calibration.

I just let the receiver do it's thing and rerun if the sub level is at it's lowest setting, then change all my speakers to small and set their crossover to 80hz. If your using small satellite speakers you might want to try 100-120 hz for the crossover. I also usually bump the auto-selected sub level a few db, just as a matter of personal preference.

Steve S.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks Steve, I will do that tonight!
Todd
Old 11-21-2012, 02:47 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2089 Post(s)
Liked: 1769
You guys would be well served by reviewing the Audyssey 101/FAQ guide linked in my sig which is an accumulation of the main questions asked in the main Audyssey thread.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 11-21-2012, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Steve and jd, info much appreciated !

Can I still achieve an equalized sub?

With regards to sub EQ, I'm trying to grasp the concept... do the auto correction systems take samples at many different frequencies, then adjust each channel's output volume at each of those frequencies? Or does it just listen to the speaker, and make a single decision about volume/crossover/delay?

jd, when you say the 515 won't equalize the sub, but will adjust its level, what is the difference exactly? Dynamics in the low end range, vs a static level for everything below the crossover point?

I've read here and elsewhere that 2EQ (which my amp uses) is inferior to MultEQ because it doesn't have sub correction so I'm wondering how feasible it is to try to accomplish the same thing myself - maybe with a combination of 2EQ and manual tweaking.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:27 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2089 Post(s)
Liked: 1769
The "AVR" will adjust the volume of the speaker to calibrate with a 75db test tone to include computing the distance and recommended crossover of the speaker. Audyssey will attempt to flatten out across the entire frequency spectrum (in the 515's case from about 65Hz and higher).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 11-21-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinvan View Post

Thanks Steve and jd, info much appreciated !
Can I still achieve an equalized sub?
With regards to sub EQ, I'm trying to grasp the concept... do the auto correction systems take samples at many different frequencies, then adjust each channel's output volume at each of those frequencies? Or does it just listen to the speaker, and make a single decision about volume/crossover/delay?
jd, when you say the 515 won't equalize the sub, but will adjust its level, what is the difference exactly? Dynamics in the low end range, vs a static level for everything below the crossover point?
I've read here and elsewhere that 2EQ (which my amp uses) is inferior to MultEQ because it doesn't have sub correction so I'm wondering how feasible it is to try to accomplish the same thing myself - maybe with a combination of 2EQ and manual tweaking.

Hi, first of all in order to understand what 2EQ does not do to the sub channel you need to be familiar with the meaning of "flat frequency response". Read on please.

I'm afraid there is nothing in the Onkyo 515 that you could tweak manually to get a uniform frequency curve in the sub channel. Is it possible for you to swap your 515 for another AVR with at least MultEQ with your dealer?
Old 11-21-2012, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

I'm afraid there is nothing in the Onkyo 515 that you could tweak manually to get a uniform frequency curve in the sub channel. Is it possible for you to swap your 515 for another AVR with at least MultEQ with your dealer?

Unfortunately I don't think so, the Onkyos are on deep discount and the other AVRs I'm interested in (Denons) are about $200-300 more. For what I really need (Networking, 7 HDMI inputs, 7 channel) I can't find anything as inexpensive as the Onkyos.

Are they any costing roughly $300 with MultEQ?