Sony STR-DN1030 connecting TV without HDMI? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-21-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a new Sony STR-DN1030 and where it is going today is with an older TV (Sony 57" Rear Screen Projection). The TV does NOT have any HDMI inputs or outputs. Without the HDMI cable hook up I am told that I can not use the on screen G.U.I. menu. Is that true? If so, is there a way to work around this. I have tried a single video cable out of "monitor out" on STR to a "video input" on the TV. Doesn't seem to work. HELP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-02-2013, 06:18 PM

Sony STR-DN1030 GUI Setup does not work if your TV does not have HDMI. I received Operating Instructions Manual along with the receiver. The manual has 100+ pages but it is not mentioned anywhere in the Instructions Manual. I have invested several hours to just find out that most of Sony STR-DN1030 Receiver functionality is designed to work on only with HDMI connection. Below is a link I received from Sony Costumer support representative mentioning the same:

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C1030675

Also I am pasting below the whole thread of conversation I had with the Sony support representative:

7:26 PM Connecting...
7:26 PM Connected. A support representative will be with you shortly.
7:26 PM Support session established with Yesenia - (C4S8).
7:26 PM Yesenia - (C4S8):
Hi. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I'm Yesenia.
7:27 PM Customer: Hi Yesenia
7:27 PM Customer: Hi, I have brought Sony STRDN1030 AV receiver 3 days back and since then trying to set it up.
7:27 PM Customer: I have Sonyo TV with no HDMI. I have connected my TV to STRDN1030 component cable but it is not working
7:27 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): I understand that the Receiver connected to the TV by using Component cable is not producing the picture on the screen. Is that correct?
7:28 PM Customer: Yes. 100% correct
7:28 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Okay, I'll be glad to assist you with this.
7:29 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Are you with the Receiver now?
7:29 PM Customer: Yes. trying since last 2 hours frown.gif
7:30 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Alright.
7:30 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): I am going to ask you some additional questions, to determine the exact issue.
7:30 PM Customer: sure
7:30 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): What are the devices connected to the Receiver?
7:32 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): I didn’t receive a response. Are you still online?
7:32 PM Customer: as of now, 3 speakers and TV. Previously I have connected Sony BD/DVD player as well but I removed that sometime back
7:32 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Okay.
7:33 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): I see that you wish to connect the Player to the Receiver to watch the video in the TV and the sound from the Receiver. Is that correct?
7:34 PM Customer: Yes
7:34 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Fine.
7:34 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): What is the Cable that you have used to connect the Player to the Receiver?
7:36 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Please acknowledge my question by keying in a response, so that I know we are still connected.
7:36 PM Customer: Currently I have removed Player from Receiver. Only TV & 3 speakers are currently connected to Receiver
7:37 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Please connect the Player to the BD/DVD Component IN port of the Receiver by using Component cable.
7:39 PM Customer: OK, but my BD/DVD player supports HDMI. Shall I connect Reciver to player using HDMI
7:41 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): This Player can output the Video signal through the Component OUT port only when the Player is connected to the Component IN port.
7:42 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): As you have connected the TV to the Receiver by using Component cable, the Player also should be connected by using Component cable.
7:43 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): If the Player is connected to the Player by using HDMI cable and the TV by using Component Cable, the Receiver will produce the output through the HDMI OUT port but not the Component OUT.
7:44 PM Customer: OK. Let's forget about the player . . . 1st I want to see menu on TV screen so that I can configure the AV Receiver. Currently TV & speaker are connected to Receiver and I am not able to see setup menu on my TV screen
7:44 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Okay.
7:45 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): May I know the exact name of the port on the Receiver to which you have connected the TV?
7:46 PM Customer: 'Monitor Out' under 'Component Video'
7:47 PM Customer: and audio cable to 'TV Audio In'
7:47 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Okay.
7:49 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): It is not required to Audio cable between the TV and the Receiver.
7:49 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Did you select correct Input the TV?
7:49 PM Customer: Yes
7:51 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Okay.
7:52 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Press the "GUI MODE" mode button on the supplied remote of the Receiver.
7:52 PM Customer: done
7:53 PM Customer: it is showing 'GUI On'
7:54 PM Customer: but nothing coming up on TV screen
7:54 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Okay, now press the "TV" button on the remote of the Receiver.
7:54 PM Customer: done. what next?
7:55 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Now, check if the Menu is appearing in the TV.
7:55 PM Customer: No, it is not
7:57 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Check if the cable is connected to the correct ports on the TV.
7:58 PM Customer: It is connected to right port. I have verified it more than 10 times
7:58 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): I meant; colored jacks of the cable should be connected to the corresponding colored ports on the TV and the Receiver.
7:59 PM Customer: Yes, I already verified multiple time
8:00 PM Customer: When I connect same TV port directly to BD/DVD player it work fine
8:00 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): I understand.
8:00 PM Customer: also If I connect same port to Cable Settop box it works fine . . . now I have connected same to AV Receiver
8:01 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): I'm sorry for the confusion.
8:02 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Press the "BD/DVD" button on the remote of the Receiver.
8:03 PM Customer: done. It is showing BD/DVD on receiver display screen
8:04 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Press the Menu button on the remote of the Receiver.
8:04 PM Customer: done. Cannot see any change on Tv Screen as well as on Receiver screen
8:08 PM Customer: Yesenia, are you still there?
8:10 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Yes, I'm here.
8:10 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): I'm sorry for the delay. I was searching for the information regarding this.
8:11 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): The GUI menu will not appear on the TV screen when you have connected your TV to the MONITOR VIDEO OUT jack on the rear of the A/V receiver.
8:11 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): This is normal operation in the Receiver.
8:13 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Is there anything else that I may assist you with?
8:13 PM Customer: so when does it appears ? I have received Operating Instruction manual with 100+ pages
8:13 PM Customer: explaining how to setup receiver using GUI
8:14 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): It will appear only when the TV is connected to the HDMI OUT of the Receiver.
8:15 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): I'll forward a link to the page where you can view the same information.
8:15 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Please note that, the page that I am about to forward, will open as a new tab in your browser window.
8:15 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): If you wish to close the page after reading, ensure that you are just closing the tab and not the entire browser.
8:15 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Closing the browser window will end our chat session. Thanks.
8:15 PM Customer: Don't you think this should be mentioned on the Instruction manual as well?
8:15 PM Yesenia - (C4S8) has sent a link: http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C1030675
8:17 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Are you able to view the page?
8:19 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): I didn’t receive a response. Are you still online?
8:19 PM Customer: Yes, I'm here.
8:20 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Is there anything else that I may assist you with?
8:21 PM Customer: Can you please help me find out same info on Instruction manual as well? I have read complete Instruction manual that I received along with receiver but could not get that info
8:23 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Alright.
8:24 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Based on the initial information that you have provided, it seems that you are located in the USA. Am I correct?
8:25 PM Customer: Yes
8:25 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Thank you for the confirmation.
8:26 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Please contact our Telephone Support Team for this information.
8:26 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): You can also contact our Hotline Support Team at 239-768-7547.
8:26 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): You can speak to them their toll-free # at 1-800-222-7669.
8:26 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): The hours of operation are as follows: Mon-Fri 8:00AM-12:00AM (Midnight) ; Sat-Sun 9:00AM-8:00PM EST .
8:26 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): They will be happy to further assist you.
8:28 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): If you need any additional information, please feel free to get back to us with the same E-mail address, so that we can review the previous chat and assist you better for any further concern.
8:28 PM Customer: Thanks Yesenia.
8:29 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): You're welcome.
8:29 PM Yesenia - (C4S8): Good-bye and thank you for contacting Sony Online Support.
8:29 PM Yesenia - (C4S8) would like you to complete a brief Customer Survey. Open Customer Survey
8:29 PM Yesenia - (C4S8) has ended the session.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-02-2013, 06:19 PM

Sony STR-DN1030 GUI Setup does not work if your TV does not have HDMI. I received Operating Instructions Manual along with the receiver. The manual has 100+ pages but it is not mentioned anywhere in the Instructions Manual. I have invested several hours to just find out that most of Sony STR-DN1030 Receiver functionality is designed to work on only with HDMI connection. Below is a link I received from Sony Costumer support representative mentioning the same:

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C1030675
post #4 of 11 Old 04-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
the str-dh 520 does not have hdmi gui. can you downgrade it?
or buy/borrow a less expensive walmart type hdmi TV/monitor and set up
your tuner for your room. some can be had for less than a C-note.

my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-16-2013, 12:09 PM

I have the same problem and lost my day for that hidden bug...mad.gif (understand why this model is out of stock everywhere...)

Would an HDMI-Composite adapter would do the job or it absolutely requires HD display ?!

Eric
post #6 of 11 Old 04-16-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 390
There are several receivers that the OSD only works over HDMI. Its not that uncommon anymore.

My Denon 1613 only does OSD over HDMI.

Does your Sony 57" have DVI inputs or just component video?

Afro GT
post #7 of 11 Old 04-16-2013, 01:02 PM

Right.

I just call it a bug because Sony :
- never mentionned this requirement
- write in its manual (p.24) that composite, component and HDMI works indifferently..

Would it work with a computer monitor with an HDMI input ?
post #8 of 11 Old 04-16-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes it would. I have my Denon 1613 in my home office connected to a Acer monitor with DVI and I tested it with a previous smaller monitor with HDMI so I know either would work.

Afro GT
post #9 of 11 Old 04-17-2013, 08:43 AM

Thx for the info. As I have no HDMI monitor I tried with an HDMI/DVI converter but it failed confused.gif

My last option is to get a new monitor...
post #10 of 11 Old 10-25-2013, 09:33 PM

Absolutely moronic of Sony to make a TV mandatory in order to set up this receiver.  That would have been SO easy to get around.  Plenty of people dont have TVs or any HDMI device. 

Thats A LOT of customers they're upsetting. 

I went through the 6 hour hell of trying to figure it out today, speaking to four (useless) "customer service" reps from Sony, who all spoke like robots reading from a script (which they probably are) and telling me I'm out of luck, that there is no way to set up this receiver except with an HDMI device. 

Sony seems to be very good at frustrating customers.  And then not fixing it. 

Though I bet this could be fixed with a software download. 

post #11 of 11 Old 10-26-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you don't need HDMI there are plenty older receivers out there that will suit your needs.

Just curious, if one does not have at TV, Projector or Display device what's the need for a "AV" receiver? Wouldn't a stereo receiver suffice?
Quote:
Plenty of people dont have TVs or any HDMI device.
Thats A LOT of customers they're upsetting.

I don't think the number of people being upset are as high as you think.
Quote:
Thx for the info. As I have no HDMI monitor I tried with an HDMI/DVI converter but it failed

I've used this cable to go to a computer monitor with great success. in fact, using one right now.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&cs_id=1023104&p_id=2404&seq=1&format=2

Afro GT
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Strdn1030 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Strdn1030 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page