My Comcast Cable Box is not working with my Onkyo Reciever? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-23-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I just moved into a new house and now have Comcast cable service. I am having problems hooking up the Comcast DVR box (Cisco RNG200N) to my 5.1 Receiver (Onkyo TX-SR507). I am hooking it up through an HDMI cable, but when I switch to the appropriate input and turn on the cable box, it's saying "No Signal".

I have tested my Xbox 360, Sony Bluray player, and Apple TV which are all hooked up in the same manner (via HDMI to the receiver), and all work fine.

Why won't my cable box be recognized by the receiver? The cable box works fine when connected directly to my TV with the same HDMI cable.

Thanks in advance for help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-23-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Its a handshaking issue that is common with cable boxes. It was the last straw when I had the problem so I got rid of cable. I don't care for sports or network programming so it was no great loss for me. People get around it by using component video and optical/coax for audio.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-23-2012, 04:39 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1980 Post(s)
Liked: 1748
The other option besides cable box (component video/optical audio) to the AVR is cable box (HDMI) to the TV with cable box (optical) to the AVR.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 5 Old 11-23-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Try a differnt HDMI cable, and try switching on the cable box first.

That said, one of our Comcast boxes was replaced three times before I gave up and switched to using the optical outputs, no more problems. The other works 99% of the time, and the 1 time in 100 it does not hook up, restarting the system has worked so far (knock on wood).

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #5 of 5 Old 11-23-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinsride View Post

Hi,
I just moved into a new house and now have Comcast cable service. I am having problems hooking up the Comcast DVR box (Cisco RNG200N) to my 5.1 Receiver (Onkyo TX-SR507). I am hooking it up through an HDMI cable, but when I switch to the appropriate input and turn on the cable box, it's saying "No Signal".
I have tested my Xbox 360, Sony Bluray player, and Apple TV which are all hooked up in the same manner (via HDMI to the receiver), and all work fine.
Why won't my cable box be recognized by the receiver? The cable box works fine when connected directly to my TV with the same HDMI cable.
Thanks in advance for help.

Make sure the Comcast box has the latest firmware installed..
Talk to their local FAE to verify the latest version #..

Just my $0.02.. wink.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors