AUDIO SUGGESTIONS WANTED - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-23-2012, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Looking more for audio (5.1). Video processing is not necessary or not that important to me as the picture from the tv is fine. Any suggestion for audio receivers without video? Are there such receivers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-24-2012, 04:06 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 1718
The Denon 1613 is a good entry level AVR which features no video processing and offers Audyssey MultEQ. Review the various Denon models in post #2 of the Denon AVR-XX13 Owner's thread linked in my sig.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 8 Old 11-24-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

jdsmoothie, thank you for the reply, I think you've helped me with my decision. One more question if I can. Could I use the Netgear WNCE2001 Universal WiFi Internet Adapter on this 1613? Thank you.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-24-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 165
IMO, assuming that upscaling is defeatable in the AVR, so that you can choose whichever upscaling seems best between receiver and TV, no great advantages from a video perspective. With most (AFAIK the vast majority) of TVs, the advantage of going to the receiver first is getting surround sound via HDMI. Most TVs, being stereo, can only handle stereo signals. So in the HDMI handshake they tell the attached source device (like a blu ray player) to send stereo. You cannot get the original multichannel mix back after it has been downmixed to stereo for the TV.

I trust JD implicitly, Very knowledgable. If the Denon he suggests doesn't float your boat for whatever reason, be aware that most folks buy receivers that have features, inputs, outputs, etc, that they do not need because that's what's commercially available. In the real world of manufacturing/warehousing/retail, to turn a receiver into 10 different items with more focused features would mean everybody pays more (probably significantly more) than if they make one size fits all receivers and sell them to everyone.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-24-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

JHAz, can't thank you and jdsmoothie enough. Just finished reading jdsmoothies "book", "Denon AVR-XX12 Model Owner's Thread & Denon AVR-XX12/XX13 FAQ/Setup/Troubleshooting Guide (post #3)". It answered my question about using the Netgear WNCE2001 Universal WiFi Internet Adapter, yes I can. I would certainly add that the information provided here and the responses I have received here have considerably made a positive addition and I can say have absolutely made the difference in the decision to go with Denon. I might have to flip a coin for the final pick between the 1613 or the 1713. Many thanks.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-24-2012, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

I have found pictures on different sites that show two different rear views of the 1713. Some show it with NO connections for zone 2 and some show it WITH zone 2 connections. I'm going with the point of it does have zone 2, but I am confused about this. Am I missing something? Here are just 2 of many different pictures of the rear panel:

Showing zone 2 - http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-1713-Networking-Receiver-Outputs/dp/B007R8U5W6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353792571&sr=1-2&keywords=denon+1712

Not showing zone 2 - http://www.trustedreviews.com/denon-avr-1713_Surround-Sound-System_photos_2

Please comment, thank you.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-24-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
^^^

picture on the denon website has them, as well as that feature being listed on the spec page...

keep in mind that hdmi sources cannot be sent to zone 2...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #8 of 8 Old 11-24-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 413
I would go with the one on Denon's website which is this one.

Considering the picture from trustedreviews only has 4 HDMI inputs and a detachable power cord I would say that is not the correct Denon AVR 1713. At least not the USA version. Also the links are for Amazon UK, I'm pretty sure that is not the USA version of the 1713.

Afro GT
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page