AVS Forum banner

Advice on new Budget Receiver

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  DrizztD0Urden 
#1 ·
I have found a Denon AVR-1713 on sale for a good price (I don't think we are supposed to post pricing here). My old receiver is probably over 10 years old, and starting to act up a bit. My setup is a frankenstien matchup of random componants

I run all my HDMI inputs (shaw portal, xbox360, Aios media box) to the tv (60" Sharp Aquos), then an optical audio from the tv to my Receiver (Teac AG-D9100).

Matched with the receiver is a couple massive Pioneer CS-G404 fronts, Pioneer HTP300-CR Center+Surrounds (10+ years old), and a Velodyne VDR-12 (1 year old). And to my untrained ears, this setup sounds pretty good with the exception that I have to crank the center channel to hear dialogue.

The wife is spending most of the budget on furniture, so I won't be replaceing my speakers right away. But I was looking for input on the AVR-1713. The setup is typically used 40% TV programing/series, 40% movies, and 20% gaming.

If you have any input about this receiver, and if its a decent step up from my Teac relic, any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#3 ·
those pioneers were the 16 inch woofers right? I used to have a pair of those when I was a teenager. Lowes used to sell stereos along time ago. these were a christmas present from mom. she got a good deal on the only ones left the demo. they sounded good for rap and bog segar and movies through the tv. mine only l;asted 3 years because I played them to loud. if i were you i would keep them. it is hard to find big speakers like that anymore except pawnshops thrift stores and yardsales. only two speaker companies make them that big that I know of anymore cerwin vega and bic. jenson used to have speakers like that along time ago. shopko and sears used to sell them. denon sounds good get the denon.

#6 ·
Indeed, these are 3 way boxes with a large (16" looks right) woofer. They aren't the prettiest thing, but still sound good. I bought them as well as the center/surrounds at costco back when I was in university. I may even build a cabinet/tv stand and incorporate them into the design so they are 1 large piece. I ended up ordering the Denon, and can always take it back if it just doesn't sound good, but I'd have a hard time believing it wouldn't outperform my old receiver.

#7 ·
I am glad that you decided on the denon. let us know if you like it. people say that they have the denon receivers provide good bass. I have a older denon mini stereo system. it used to work good, but I moved it to another room. the cd player skips. I think that some wires are lose. I will eventually check on the wire. I got it at a church rummage sale many years ago. the denon speakers that came with it sound amazing. I hear that sharp tvs have great picture. are you happy with them?

#10 ·
speaking of thrift stores I wish that they would stop comparing electronics prices to ebay prices. some salvation army stores tell me that they look to see what it's going for on ebay before pricing it. I have seen silly things like old worn out panasonic floorstanding speakers for 50 dollars or other brands with the foam rotting off and tweeters blown for 50. The point of a thrift store is to get a good deal cheap and not pay ebay prices.

#11 ·
The Sharp is quite nice. I bought top of the line about 5 years ago on a 37" sharp ($3200), and saw how prices plumeted. So when I bought my 60", I refused to go for the best, and just looked for good reviews. I think this one was $1100 1 year ago, and many comment on how good the picture looks, even with a Shaw Cable HD source. It's not a fancy 5mm thick model with no bezel, but I'm still happy with it for what I paid for it. Also note that electronic prices in Canada are much higher than the States.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.