Cheap amp for surround rear speakers for Denon 1312? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
fstanek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi,

I really don't know much about external amps, but I bought a Denon 1312 receiver and would like to do a 7.1 setup (had I known back then that I was going to do 7.1 I would have chosen differently). To do that, I need an external amp to hook up the rear speakers (Polk R300s).

What exactly should I be looking at? Or does a cheap amp even exist? In my searches, I found that people recommend stuff like AudioSource Amp 100 (~$90 on Amazon), but that seems kinda expensive to use for just surround rear speakers (I paid a little more for the 1312, for comparison). Are there any amps that I could consider that would be more in the $20 to $30 range, or do products like that just not exist?

Thanks!
fstanek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-26-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mogorf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 4,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstanek View Post

Hi,
I really don't know much about external amps, but I bought a Denon 1312 receiver and would like to do a 7.1 setup (had I known back then that I was going to do 7.1 I would have chosen differently). To do that, I need an external amp to hook up the rear speakers (Polk R300s).
What exactly should I be looking at? Or does a cheap amp even exist? In my searches, I found that people recommend stuff like AudioSource Amp 100 (~$90 on Amazon), but that seems kinda expensive to use for just surround rear speakers (I paid a little more for the 1312, for comparison). Are there any amps that I could consider that would be more in the $20 to $30 range, or do products like that just not exist?
Thanks!

That ain't gonna work. The 1312 is a 5.1 receiver, no pre-outputs at all, not even for the 6th and 7th channels, nothing there. So, even though you buy an external amp and hook up two more speakers for the rear surrounds you'll have no output channels on the 1312 to drive them. To do that you need a 7.1 channel capable AVR. Hope you get it! smile.gif
mogorf is online now  
Old 11-26-2012, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
fstanek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

That ain't gonna work. The 1312 is a 5.1 receiver, no pre-outputs at all, not even for the 6th and 7th channels, nothing there. So, even though you buy an external amp and hook up two more speakers for the rear surrounds you'll have no output channels on the 1312 to drive them. To do that you need a 7.1 channel capable AVR. Hope you get it! smile.gif
According to the owner's manual ( page 27, http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/productdetail.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers(DenonNA)&PId=AVR1312(DenonNA) ) the receiver is capable of 7.1 by attaching the surround back speakers by using an external amp.
fstanek is offline  
Old 11-27-2012, 03:03 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 50,388
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3722 Post(s)
Liked: 2182
Yup, the 1312 can be expanded to 7.1 via an external amp. Your best bet for a lower priced amp is to check your local Craigslist for someone selling an old 2CH amp or stereo receiver. They generally sell for around $50.


------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
Old 11-27-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mogorf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 4,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstanek View Post

According to the owner's manual ( page 27, http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/productdetail.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers(DenonNA)&PId=AVR1312(DenonNA) ) the receiver is capable of 7.1 by attaching the surround back speakers by using an external amp.

Mea culpa. Even though the 1312 is a 5.1 model you can use external amps to make it 7.1.
mogorf is online now  
Old 11-27-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
fstanek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Would something like http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI work?

I really do not know anything about amps... but it does seem to have the necessary inputs/ouputs, and it costs like $15 new.
fstanek is offline  
Old 11-27-2012, 05:41 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 50,388
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3722 Post(s)
Liked: 2182
Should work fine as long as you listen at only moderate volume levels.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
Old 11-27-2012, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lespurgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: California
Posts: 2,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Should work, but no better than a craigs list or goodwill special.
lespurgeon is offline  
Old 11-28-2012, 01:28 AM
Newbie
 
scw02102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got the exact same amp and looking to do the same thing

Im only worried as I play all my music via HDMI will it automatically push the sound output to the RCA?? as well as the HDMI port? Or just one or or the other????

If so great will send the signal out to an external amp and power sound to speakers
scw02102 is offline  
Old 11-28-2012, 02:47 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 50,388
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3722 Post(s)
Liked: 2182
With an HDMI input, it will output via the RCA when a 7.1 signal (either discrete or simulated) is processed.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off