XPA-5 overkill for my system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-26-2012, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
At high volumes my center and fronts breakup. I am running 7.2 and watch movies 70%, and music 30% of the time. Also looking at the XPA-100 (250w x 1) just for the center.

I definitely need more power to my center, but do you think the XPA-3 or XPA-5 is total over kill for my setup? I usually like to buy for the future - may have completely different speakers in 2-3 years...

Emotiva is also running a sale now.

Onkyo TX-NR5008
C - DefTech CS-8080HD
L/R and surrounds - Deftech ProMonitor 1000's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-26-2012, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
May be your speakers not able to handle the high volume well. That is a pretty beefy receiver. Seems to me you have plenty of power and may need speakers to match.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-26-2012, 09:55 PM

Liked: 32
A center with a built-in powered sub?! rolleyes.gif Get a passive center and all shall be right with the world. cool.gif
post #4 of 12 Old 11-26-2012, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I also run a DefTech set up (STS mains and CS-8060HD for center, Gem XL surrounds). Considering your speakers and your receiver, I don't think the amp would add much. The center is pretty efficient, and the most demanding frequencies (bass) are handled by the internal amp.

If you are not happy with the output, I'd look at either A) adjusting the setup (different X0over, bass management settings, checking the Audyssey calibration), or B) more powerful mains (the SM65's are not too much larger, and are much more capable, while still blending with your center). Option A is free and option B is in the same ball park as the amp, either/both will provide you a more significant upgrade than adding an outboard amp to your setup.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #5 of 12 Old 11-27-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

I also run a DefTech set up (STS mains and CS-8060HD for center, Gem XL surrounds). Considering your speakers and your receiver, I don't think the amp would add much. The center is pretty efficient, and the most demanding frequencies (bass) are handled by the internal amp.
If you are not happy with the output, I'd look at either A) adjusting the setup (different X0over, bass management settings, checking the Audyssey calibration), or B) more powerful mains (the SM65's are not too much larger, and are much more capable, while still blending with your center). Option A is free and option B is in the same ball park as the amp, either/both will provide you a more significant upgrade than adding an outboard amp to your setup.

Audyssey has my center Xover at 40hz and fronts at 80hz, but a recalibration never hurts. I really only hear the distortion (highs) when I come up close to the speakers at high volumes.

I really like the idea of adding SM65's as my mains and converting from 7.2 to 9.2. The last time I was pricing DefTech mains, I don't remember seeing those - must be new.

I thought I could maximize my current setup and bring my speakers to full potential by adding an amp, but you may be right in mentioning that more powerful fronts and 9.2 would be money better spent.

Also read that sometimes you can find the SM65's at up to 40% off list price. I don't need to add anything, but can't think of anything else I want for Christmas. wink.gif
post #6 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 08:31 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked: 1725
Raise the center to 80Hz to match the FL/FR speakers.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 137
^^^
Expanding on that idea, if you are running out of juice, try crossing over at a higher frequency. Depending on your sub (FR,quality, and location), crossing over at 100hz or 120hz will take a sizable amount of stress off your mains. This could allow for your system to be played louder and clearer, with more bass, and again, for free.

Audyssey tests for the -3db point, but the receiver sets the crossover/speaker size and crossover points, even if these are not optimal. Chris K. of Audyssey makes a frequent point of telling people to ignore the small/large settings, and to try a crossover around 80hz. At the worst, it was only a few minutes of time (you won't need to rerun Audyssey, just change the settings in your AVR)

Even with my STS towers, I tend to crossover at 100hz to my subs.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #8 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
I don't think that either the XPA-5 or XPA-3 would be overkill. I have an XPA-3 that I bought because my "receiver" was clipping and it solved the problem. My system has been totally redone since then and I use three Emo amps along with a different "pre-pro."
post #9 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuyler Bain View Post

At high volumes my center and fronts breakup. I am running 7.2 and watch movies 70%, and music 30% of the time. Also looking at the XPA-100 (250w x 1) just for the center.

I definitely need more power to my center, but do you think the XPA-3 or XPA-5 is total over kill for my setup? I usually like to buy for the future - may have completely different speakers in 2-3 years...

Emotiva is also running a sale now.

Onkyo TX-NR5008
C - DefTech CS-8080HD
L/R and surrounds - Deftech ProMonitor 1000's

You are talking about these?

"
one 5.25-inch cast basket bass/midrange drivers coupled to one 5.25-inch pressure-driven planar low-frequency radiators
one 1-inch pure aluminum dome tweeter
"

And the subwoofer is?

If there really isn't a subwoofer adding a good subwoofer costing you the price of an Emotiva XPA-5 will give you the following significant advantages:

(1) Superior bass because it doesn't take a lot to overpower what you got now (not a heck of a lot!) in the lowest octave

(2) Superior midbass because offloading the low bass from your fronts will make your fronts sound that much cleaner.

(3) Much higher SPL before AVR clipping because you're wasting a lot of power trying to make your fronts do what God never intended them to do, which is make low bass.

Ever hear the one about what happens if you try to make a pig fly?

The pig never flies but you pi$$ it off! ;-)

That is what happens if you try to get good subwoofer bass out of a 5.25 inch driver, or even twelve of them.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Are those his speakers? Sorry I didn't research what the speakers were. Your right, apart from Exodus Acoustics Anarchy drivers, 5.25" drivers are unsuitable for anything lower than about 100Hz. If he's getting distortion its pretty certain its the speakers and not the amplification.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

You are talking about these?

one 5.25-inch cast basket bass/midrange drivers coupled to one 5.25-inch pressure-driven planar low-frequency radiators one 1-inch pure aluminum dome tweeter

And the subwoofer is?

Yes, that's the speaker.

For bass I'm running 2 HSU VTF-3 MK3's and an MBM-12, so I'm not trying to get bass out of my satellites (make a pig fly). Just leaving the crossover where Audyssey MultEQ XT32 set it.

I'll try the mains at 100 and 120hz as well as bumping up the center to 60 or 80hz. Hopefully that will clean it up a bit. All recommendations are appreciated!
post #12 of 12 Old 11-29-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuyler Bain View Post

Audyssey has my center Xover at 40hz and fronts at 80hz, but a recalibration never hurts. I really only hear the distortion (highs) when I come up close to the speakers at high volumes.
CORRECTION: My center was set at 60hz, mains at 100hz and surrounds at 80hz. I just moved the center to 80, and surrounds to 100hz. Will test for a few days.......move up to 100 and 120hz if necessary.

Audyssey has definitely set my Xovers at different points on the same speakers for no apparent reason. Slightly different on almost every run.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page