Denon 2113ci vs. Onkyo 818 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was able to get an Onkyo 818 for $650 at B&H. But I'm concerned about Onkyo even thought I've loved my 705 for many years. I'm moving to a new house and putting in a new system that will be used for BD movies, Comcast cable, music and tv. I'd also like to be able to power a set of outdoor speakers on a separate channel as well. I like the fact that the 2113 has airplay, but I may toss on an Apple TV which does the same thing. I always wanted to do 7.1 but this new room just doesn't have the space for the extra speakers so I doubt I will.

I'm really torn now between the two since they are both the exact same price. I feel like the Onkyo is a better receiver at $650, but I like the features of the Denon (even though I've never had one). Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-27-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged68 View Post

...I've loved my 705 for many years...

My advice... trust what you know/love and enjoy it... and then stop coming to this site for a good while. Only pain and self-doubt comes from second-guessing yourself. smile.gif

Full disclosure: I've got zero experience with either of those receivers.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-27-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged68 View Post

I was able to get an Onkyo 818 for $650 at B&H. But I'm concerned about Onkyo even thought I've loved my 705 for many years. I'm moving to a new house and putting in a new system that will be used for BD movies, Comcast cable, music and tv. I'd also like to be able to power a set of outdoor speakers on a separate channel as well. I like the fact that the 2113 has airplay, but I may toss on an Apple TV which does the same thing. I always wanted to do 7.1 but this new room just doesn't have the space for the extra speakers so I doubt I will.
I'm really torn now between the two since they are both the exact same price. I feel like the Onkyo is a better receiver at $650, but I like the features of the Denon (even though I've never had one). Any thoughts?

Isn't the Onkyo NR818 a big step up from the Denon 2113? You're talking a MSRP $1200 receiver vs $650. The Onkyo has Audyssey XT32, more power and connectivity than the 2113. Its a much higher end receiver. I don't think I've ever seen the NR818 as low as $650. You're getting quite a deal.

Afro GT
post #4 of 7 Old 11-27-2012, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Isn't the Onkyo NR818 a big step up from the Denon 2113? You're talking a MSRP $1200 receiver vs $650. The Onkyo has Audyssey XT32, more power and connectivity than the 2113. Its a much higher end receiver. I don't think I've ever seen the NR818 as low as $650. You're getting quite a deal.

I know I'm getting a deal, I just didn't even want to spend that much on a receiver. I don't mean to insult people that spend more, but I prefer to put my HT $$ elsewhere. I guess what I have to decide is if I feel comfortable paying more than I intended 'because' I got a deal...or if I should try to get a Denon for a little less money.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-28-2012, 12:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
If you didn't want to spend that much why did you post a question about 2 receivers that will cost you $650? confused.gif

Afro GT
post #6 of 7 Old 11-28-2012, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have the Denon and I am waiting on my Onkyo 818 to arrive. The two are nothing alike. The 818 is a much higher level AVR than the Denon. I use the Denon in my bedroom.

post #7 of 7 Old 11-28-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

If you didn't want to spend that much why did you post a question about 2 receivers that will cost you $650? confused.gif

Because I saw the Denon for around $500 (although back up to $650 now) and was wondering whether I should try to find it cheaper or stick with the 818.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 2113ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page