Receiver recommendation for low end Polk speakers (Monitor60, Monitor40, CS2 and PSW10) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-26-2012, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked up a set of Polk speakers on the sale on Newegg:
  • 2x Monitor 60 series II
  • 2x Monitor 40 series II
  • 1x CS2 series II
  • 1x PSW10

I'm not very experienced with AV systems and have been running a 10 year old Sony 5.1 home theater system (STR-K840P). I guess I had a good deal for the Polks, although it was a bit rushed without much research. I think for the very short term I'll connect the new speakers to the Sony receiver I think it's (5x80), but now I'm looking to upgrade my receiver as well.

Even though I'm setting up a home theater system, actually the quality of the stereo music (mostly rock and blues) is more important to me (somehow I'm leaning more towards Yamaha's and HK's, for no particular reason, just their images in my head). I also live in a condo, so I cannot go to loud on the system, but I'd like to good quality at mid-volume levels. I think to get the real value of these speakers I need to look at a ~$500 AVR, but I'd also like to get some budget ideas for a $350 limit.

Thank you very much for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-26-2012, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Forget about "brand image", often times it means nothing. Think about what features you need and would like to have and find the best avr that suits your needs for the price you want to pay. Also take into account what room correction software the avr has. I like audyssey a lot and the denon 1713 is a great bang for your buck receiver that uses audyssey MultEQ XT (best version on units under apprx $800+) and has networking capabilities. Your speakers are very easy to power and pretty much all decent entry level receivers are more then capable to drive them.

I'd also suggest you look into a different sub, the psw10 is a real dog....but if you already bought it try it out and see if it works for you for now. If you haven't purchased it yet, I suggest you look into the psw505 or bic f12.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #3 of 3 Old 11-27-2012, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah yeah I know about the "brand image" thing, that's why I had it in quotes, but we all like some brands better than the others right? I'll definitely consider Denon, if I remember right the 1713 was not on the expensive side.

I also realized the woofer is not very popular on forums after I ordered it, but the next Polk (I think it was the PSW505) was $200 vs. the $70 for the PSW10. If I get the receiver soon and have $ left maybe I'll try to return it to newegg for an upgrade to PSW505.

Thanks for the help either way...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page