Would you be interested in a preamp/processor made by Oppo? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in an Oppo preamp/processor?
1 Yes I would definitely be interested 105 81.40%
2 No, I'd only trust them with making BR players 9 6.98%
3 I'm done with processors, amps, seperates - I'm selling everything and getting a boombox. 0 0%
4 No, I have another manufacturer in mind for my next preamp/processor 8 6.20%
5 I'll keep my AVP until they pry it from my cold dead fingers 7 5.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 63 Old 10-23-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Somewhere I think on this forum (I forget where) I recently said Oppo should stick to making disc players. I realize they want to keep the minimum $500 BDP price point so they are adding in all sorts of crap (I don't want) to make it seem worth that. Fact is, you can get a BD player that also plays DVD-As and SACDs as well as the obvious formats via HDMI for under $150. It plays just as well as the Oppo (I have three Oppos in service right now), but not quite as good with DVDs as the best Oppos were/are, but much closer than they used to be. So things have changed.

I do not like multi-tools except for occasional casual use. Because they don't do anything as well as the dedicated tools do. For streaming and playing files etc. of any type, I have a brilliant idea: use a computer. You can buy a laptop with HDMI output (1080p + 7.1 192/24 audio) for under $300 that will do this stuff, with your own choice of S/W so no stuck waiting on F/W updates, far better than any Oppo can. IOW you have the option of using the device that creates the files to play them too...what a concept!

I want my Oppos to just play discs. Fussy people, who I guess used (?) to be Oppo's clientele, will get where I'm coming from, even if they don't agree with me on this point (less "features", but high quality/service with the basics). I also get that Oppo is kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place with this: the shrinking disc-playing market, and the necessary price-point to maintain their high standards of service and product. Tough if you want to grow your business, and get caught in sort of a buggy-whip scenario.

Don't even get me started on (expensive!) "boutique" pre-pros. Been there, and came back to the cheap(er) stuff. Strictly because it takes a large infrastructure to successfully create and maintain a quality product, even for one of not so great quality, and it takes very large sales to make it viable. Or else you can charge very high prices of course, and some do. Look at all the "quality" companies that don't make them anymore, or that only make a couple models that often have less! features than their own AVRs in the same price ballpark (though the pre-pros usually have half-assed balanced outputs).

That said, mainly because I'm afraid of Oppo extending themselves into areas they haven't experience in and then going kaput, I would have no problem considering any Oppo product. They have created a lot of goodwill over the years with their disc players. But just because some product says Oppo on it doesn't make me assume it will be good, I am not that naive re branding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 63 Old 10-23-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraser View Post
Somewhere I think on this forum (I forget where) I recently said Oppo should stick to making disc players. I realize they want to keep the minimum $500 BDP price point so they are adding in all sorts of crap (I don't want) to make it seem worth that. Fact is, you can get a BD player that also plays DVD-As and SACDs as well as the obvious formats via HDMI for under $150. It plays just as well as the Oppo (I have three Oppos in service right now), but not quite as good with DVDs as the best Oppos were/are, but much closer than they used to be. So things have changed.

I do not like multi-tools except for occasional casual use. Because they don't do anything as well as the dedicated tools do. For streaming and playing files etc. of any type, I have a brilliant idea: use a computer. You can buy a laptop with HDMI output (1080p + 7.1 192/24 audio) for under $300 that will do this stuff, with your own choice of S/W so no stuck waiting on F/W updates, far better than any Oppo can. IOW you have the option of using the device that creates the files to play them too...what a concept!

I want my Oppos to just play discs. Fussy people, who I guess used (?) to be Oppo's clientele, will get where I'm coming from, even if they don't agree with me on this point (less "features", but high quality/service with the basics). I also get that Oppo is kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place with this: the shrinking disc-playing market, and the necessary price-point to maintain their high standards of service and product. Tough if you want to grow your business, and get caught in sort of a buggy-whip scenario.

Don't even get me started on (expensive!) "boutique" pre-pros. Been there, and came back to the cheap(er) stuff. Strictly because it takes a large infrastructure to successfully create and maintain a quality product, even for one of not so great quality, and it takes very large sales to make it viable. Or else you can charge very high prices of course, and some do. Look at all the "quality" companies that don't make them anymore, or that only make a couple models that often have less! features than their own AVRs in the same price ballpark (though the pre-pros usually have half-assed balanced outputs).

That said, mainly because I'm afraid of Oppo extending themselves into areas they haven't experience in and then going kaput, I would have no problem considering any Oppo product. They have created a lot of goodwill over the years with their disc players. But just because some product says Oppo on it doesn't make me assume it will be good, I am not that naive re branding.
If you can get a player that does everything an Oppo player can (minus a/v file support) for $150 I'd love to know what it is.
Would you kindly provide a link to such a player?

Now hold on, you said $150 for that fabulous player and now you are adding $300 on top of that for a separate laptop?
That's pretty cheap for a quality laptop, but then again you never said "quality", lol.
Also, how (in)convenient will it be to get all my music and movies to play from said laptop over my home theater system?
I'm sure it's doable, but not nearly as convenient as DLNA/SMB though the player. That's kind of the whole point though.
When you have those abilities within the player, you also have the use of the audio and video processing and enhancements that
are built into the player.

I don't think people want less features.
I do think every individual has different needs though, and unfortunately Oppo can't make 20 different players to meet
all of those different sets of needs. So sometimes you end up using some features but not others.
What most people should try to avoid is buying a device where they don't use most of the features,
and then they may have been better off with a different product.
The fact is that Opp can not provide a simple barebones player with stellar quality and support.
The market is too saturated with other barebones players where people are willing to sacrifice quality build and service for a much
cheaper price, and then Oppo can't sell enough to make a profit.

Not sure why you are so afraid of Oppo becoming successful and doing whatever they decide to do.
They have recently produced some high end personal audio products that have gotten rave reviews.
I am also curious to know what products have the Oppo (electronics) brand name on them that aren't considered "good".
They are known for making the best players on planet Earth, and again their more recent personal audio products are of the highest quality.
So why the cynicism against a brand that has been excellent at giving people what they need?
Just seems a little odd to me...

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #63 of 63 Old 10-23-2014, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Oppo has recently released a high end headset and headphone amp - getting great reviews. While I have no interest in those things, I certainly don't begrudge them expanding their product line. I'd love to see them making a high end prepro that compares with the Denon AVP (e.g. balanced in and out) even if it is in the same price range. Provided of course that they bring the technology about 5 years forward with HDMI 2.0, hdcp 2.2, dolby atmos auro 3d. As for the additional features on the BR player - are there are lot of $150 BR players with Darbee - is that one of the features you want to do without. Is it the streaming you want to do without as well? Frankly I'd love Oppo to make a high end streaming device that has all the features of an Asus chromebox but with all the Oppo quality audio and video components.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page