AVS Forum banner

Would you be interested in an Oppo preamp/processor?

• 1 Yes I would definitely be interested

Votes: 119 83.2%
  • 2 No, I'd only trust them with making BR players

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • 3 I'm done with processors, amps, seperates - I'm selling everything and getting a boombox.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 4 No, I have another manufacturer in mind for my next preamp/processor

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • 5 I'll keep my AVP until they pry it from my cold dead fingers

Votes: 7 4.9%

Would you be interested in a preamp/processor made by Oppo?

4K views 66 replies 26 participants last post by  bigguyca 
#1 ·
I love my Denon AVP but it will eventually become obsolete and chances are Denon is not going to make a successor to the AVP or offer HDMI 2.0 update boards when HDMI 2.0 comes out shortly.

I had been purchasing Denon optical players for years until I got the Oppo 93 and really appreciated the bang for the buck. I just upgraded both of my players to the 103 and am thrilled with some of the improvements. I was trying to think of what manufacturer I would trust to make my next preamp/processor and I would definitely be interested in one made by Oppo if they decided to get into that business. I think they'd appreciate the need for plenty of inputs and outputs. They'd probably make the processor on it upgradeable as technology changes. I'm sure the sound would be nice and clean and it would probably be quite affordable compared to units made by others that would be in the same league.

To be clear, if Denon mad an AVP 2 - I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Denon has made little else in the last 5 years besides the AVP that really impresses me the way the AVP has. For that matter few companies have other than Oppo.

#2 ·
Funny, it struck me the other day that all their current flagship Blu-Ray player needs to allow most people to get rid of the pre-pro completely is a decent room correction setup (ideally something not currently available, such as Trinnov or maybe a dumbed-down Dirac module, but even Audyssey XT32 would be OK if they allowed one to turn off Audyssey's stupid crappy speakers compensation midrange notch - Audyssey with the notch un-defeatable would make it uninteresting to me), a modern dynamic loudness compensation program (Dolby Volume "volume modeling" or Audyssey DynamicEQ) and maybe a couple more HDMI inputs (I'd only need one, for the AppleTV, but others might want more). Maybe one legacy analog audio input, for people who want to attach a phono preamp that doesn't have an ADC with USB output.

After all, what is a pre-pro but an input switcher, room correction processor, video processor, codec decoder, DAC, and preout board?

The BDP-105 is basically all of those things except the room correction processor already: it already has multiple inputs (disk, HDMI, USB, whatever streaming stuff it can natively play), video processing, ability to natively decode all the major a/v codecs, DACs, and 7.1-channel preouts. All it's missing is the room correction stuff as is. (And a few inputs, though many people could use it as is, with the disk reader, one additional HDMI input, and the USB input.)

A '105-based pre-pro with Trinnov room correction, Dolby Volume, and say 4 HDMI inputs/1 stereo analog audio input would be worth $2500 to me in a heartbeat. Maybe more but I'd have to think about that. At $2500 or less, it would be basically automatic.

Not only would such a product likely be superior in performance to most other pre-pros on the market, it would also allow one to replace two boxes (SACD/DVD-A/Blu-Ray/etc. player and pre-pro) with one box.

#5 ·
^^^

likely not as easy as it sounds... it's a LONG road fom making a disk spinner to making an avr... although i have no idea how large oppo's parent corporation is... it's possible they have the resources...

keep in mind while oppo's may be a "bang for the buck" item for those who use some of their voluminous features, they are still a relatively big buck...

as far as "would i buy one"? it it "worked", was fully featured and competively priced, i'd certainly consider it... but "working, fully featured and competively priced" avrs are pretty common, and it's a pretty cut-throat (not to mention saturated) market...

edit: substitute "pre-pro" for "avr" in the above and it's the same...

2nd edit: upon quick further thought, i don't see it being feasible... the size of the marketplace for a "high end" pre-pro is very small... they'd have to price it at a very high price just to begin to recover the development costs... i seem to remember a post somewhere that the number of integra pre-pros sold in a year numbered in rhe low hundreds... onkyo/integra can do that, as their development costs are spread across multiple platforms...

#6 ·
I would very much indeed be happy to try it out. While i have not physically heard what they did to the sabre 9018, they are on the right track using such a high end dac for 5.1. I like the idea of being able to run poweramps straight out of the 95 and 105 without having to use a pre-amp (depending on amplifier) unfortunately there is no room eq to make it the perfect box for me. Implement room eq and have the dac pushing out a high voltage analog and i will be a buyer.

(Did i get that right about high voltage out or is that a bad thing)

Also does anyone know of any good 2 channel dacs(preferably with sub out) that would allow me to skip the pre-amp?

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonepeteru  /t/1441695/would-you-be-interested-in-a-preamp-processor-made-by-oppo#post_22634217

I like the idea of being able to run poweramps straight out of the 95 and 105 without having to use a pre

But what about other devices or do you only have a BR in your HT? I tend to change out my BR player every couple of years. It would be more economical for me if my prepro was separate as I tend to keep them for many years.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj  /t/1441695/would-you-be-interested-in-a-preamp-processor-made-by-oppo#post_22633817

^^^

it it "worked", was fully featured and competively priced, i'd certainly consider it... but "working, fully featured and competively priced" avrs are pretty common, and it's a pretty cut-throat (not to mention saturated) market...

edit: substitute "pre-pro" for "avr" in the above and it's the same....

I bought what I thought was a bang for the buck prepro from Onkyo a number of years ago - it was 1/4 the price of the AVP and had nearly all the same "features" however it sounded like total $#!+. I waited and applied firmware updates, and it still sounded like $#!+. The lipsync on it was dreadful. I had a 15 year old prepro sony es that sounded significantly better. I got the AVP and once again it was clean sounding, my prepro was no longer coloring or muffling the source of the music. I wouldn't assume all AV processors are created equal and I will never go back to buying a receiver when I have such great amps.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma  /t/1441695/would-you-be-interested-in-a-preamp-processor-made-by-oppo#post_22631902

I'd like to see them remained focused on BR players. The recent history of smaller companies branching out into AVRs/Processors isn't good due to the complexity of the implementation.

I agree with the above. In the poll I voted that "Yes I would definitely be interested" in a prepro from Oppo if one was available. But in reality I firmly believe Oppo will stay with just building Bluray/universal players. To see how difficult it is to build a modern full featured prepro look at the recent issues Outlaw, Emotiva and Parasound have had trying to produce prepros.

Bill

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac  /t/1441695/would-you-be-interested-in-a-preamp-processor-made-by-oppo#post_22635705

...To see how difficult it is to build a modern full featured prepro look at the recent issues Outlaw, Emotiva and Parasound have had trying to produce prepros.

Bill
Not to mention a "Big Boy" like Lexicon.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac  /t/1441695/would-you-be-interested-in-a-preamp-processor-made-by-oppo#post_22635705

I agree with the above. In the poll I voted that "Yes I would definitely be interested" in a prepare from Oppo if one was available. But in reality I firmly believe Oppo will stay with just building Bluray/universal players. To see how difficult it is to build a modern full featured prepro look at the recent issues Outlaw, Emotiva and Parasound have had trying to produce prepros.

Bill

I voted for a pre-pro because I am sure Oppo with concentrate on sound quality first.

The BDP-10x's represent a toe in the water for handling various inputs.

Actually, the new Outlaw preamp got a very good review.

It is a bit under-featured for me. If it had Balanced outputs and a couple more HDMI inputs, I may have given it a try.

Any preamp I have needs to have a true analog pass-through.

- Rich

#14 ·
A better question would be HOW interested......

Of course, almost anyone would be interested in what Oppo put out.

I think in the current market a new entry that maybe could shake things up would be welcome. The Japanese just keep adding logos, the "boutique" market either can't do it reliably (CODEC issues/noises/etc.) OR can't get anything out at all. Then there's the exaggeration of RC. I think it's a fine developing tech, but the best sounding AVRs/Pre-Pros I've heard have basically useless/undeveloped RC. RC is more about SC (speaker correction). The biggest RC fans usually have the same speakers.

The Cambridge Audio 651r and 751r AVR's were originally announced early in 2011, if I remember. I found out they were in beta testing and out in "a few months" back in April. CA tweeted shipping in the "next few months" in early August. Some of these guys have real problems getting product out. Maybe there's something about Oppo that would be different.

Then you have to wonder how long some of these smaller manu's are going to last, especially with the economy about to get REALLY bad. They think it's been tough lately, haven't seen anything yet.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-l  /t/1441695/would-you-be-interested-in-a-preamp-processor-made-by-oppo#post_22648058

Quote:
Then there's the exaggeration of RC. I think it's a fine developing tech, but the best sounding AVRs/Pre-Pros I've heard have basically useless/undeveloped RC.

What AVRs/prepro would those be that you have had in your system that have had "useless/undeveloped" room correction? Maybe you were not using these so called "useless/undeveloped" room correction systems correctly
Quote:
RC is more about SC (speaker correction).

I would say it is more about "room correction" as that is what systems like Audyssey, YPAO, MCACC and ARC are referred to as
. Here is a quote direct from Audyssey's website, Audyssey MultEQ automatically customizes your home theater system to overcome the acoustical problems specific to your room .
Quote:
The biggest RC fans usually have the same speakers.

Huh
? You mean everyone that is a fan of Audyssey has Salk speakers
? Or do you mean that their speakers are all timbre matched from the same manufacturer? If that were true (which I doubt it is) what difference does it make as everyones room is different.

Bill

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-l  /t/1441695/would-you-be-interested-in-a-preamp-processor-made-by-oppo#post_22648058

A better question would be HOW interested......

Of course, almost anyone would be interested in what Oppo put out.

I can't speak for everyone but I would certainly be willing to pay a good amount for something with the sonic qualities of the AVP, the number of ins and outs of the Denon AVP and the video processing capabilities of the AVP but with more current technologies than the AVP will be able to support such as HDMI 2.0. I'm not wealthy but I saved up for an AVP1 (plus I got a really good deal). It was such a huge improvement I saved up and bought a second one for the bedroom. Some people are passionate about wine and think nothing of dropping $100 on a bottle (I couldn't tell the difference between a $100 bottle of wine and a grape juice carton with a punch straw).

It all depends on what your are enthusiastic about.

#18 ·
boe
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe  /t/1441695/would-you-be-interested-in-a-preamp-processor-made-by-oppo#post_22630994

I love my Denon AVP but it will eventually become obsolete and chances are Denon is not going to make a successor to the AVP or offer HDMI 2.0 update boards when HDMI 2.0 comes out shortly.

I had been purchasing Denon optical players for years until I got the Oppo 93 and really appreciated the bang for the buck. I just upgraded both of my players to the 103 and am thrilled with some of the improvements. I was trying to think of what manufacturer I would trust to make my next preamp/processor and I would definitely be interested in one made by Oppo if they decided to get into that business. I think they'd appreciate the need for plenty of inputs and outputs. They'd probably make the processor on it upgradeable as technology changes. I'm sure the sound would be nice and clean and it would probably be quite affordable compared to units made by others that would be in the same league.

To be clear, if Denon mad an AVP 2 - I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Denon has made little else in the last 5 years besides the AVP that really impresses me the way the AVP has. For that matter few companies have other than Oppo.

Right know i run a htpc with 7.1 audio running to a upa 7 channel emitiva amp. would love to run my xbox 360 too. I am looking for a pre pro. room correction is not as important to me. I have been looking at the new emotiva umc-200,outlaw,denon 3313.

would and could this player do it for me?

How quick is the switching bwtween the 2 inputs?

does the oppo have an app for control?

thank you

larry

. .

#19 ·
There is no Oppo avp at thte moment. This thread was started to see if anyone would have interest in one if Oppo made them as their BR players is not only one of the best out there but by far the cheapest of BR players in its class. There are few processors that compete with the Denon AVP but I'm sure if Oppo made one they would be affordable but probably in the same league. The Oppo BR players don't have a ton of XLR outs like the Denon AVP.

#21 ·

Quote:
Quote:
I would say it is more about "room correction" as that is what systems like Audyssey, YPAO, MCACC and ARC are referred to as wink.gif. Here is a quote direct from Audyssey's website, Audyssey MultEQ automatically customizes your home theater system to overcome the acoustical problems specific to your room.

I think speaker correction is the more accurate term. The manufacturers may call it room correction, but they "overcome the acoustical problems" by making changes to the speaker settings and not the room.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussader  /t/1441695/would-you-be-interested-in-a-preamp-processor-made-by-oppo#post_22695443

Quote:
Quote:
I would say it is more about "room correction" as that is what systems like Audyssey, YPAO, MCACC and ARC are referred to as wink.gif. Here is a quote direct from Audyssey's website, Audyssey MultEQ automatically customizes your home theater system to overcome the acoustical problems specific to your room.

I think speaker correction is the more accurate term. The manufacturers may call it room correction, but they "overcome the acoustical problems" by making changes to the speaker settings and not the room.

That, or system tuning.

There is a controversy over whether or not it is appropriate to try to correct room acoustics situations with eq, but there is no controversy over the fact that eq is an appropriate tool for tuning the overall system.

#24 ·
I have to say, if you oppo where to put dolby headphone integration into a high grade dac chip and make it noticably better than the famouse gaming dolby headphone amplifier the "astro mixamp" there would be people rushing to buy it. I know so many people on head-fi that run all sorts of crazy set-ups to get the ultimate gaming setup. This includes receivers. If oppo could pull off this pre/pro at a reasonable price with actual "Dolby Headphone" and a good headphone amp section, room correction and still do all this with a Dac that is known in the community like the 9018 (maybe do a special collaborative peachtree audio edition :)_ just kidding i know this makes me sound like a noob) then they would def have THE HEAVIEST HITTING AUDIOPHILE ARSENAL OF ALL TIME...

(^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^read that with some tough army dude voicing)

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe  /t/1441695/would-you-be-interested-in-a-preamp-processor-made-by-oppo/0_100#post_22700913

So is there something you'd prefer over audessey?

With the end of the Sherwood R-972, nobody's currently licensing Trinnov in a realistically-priced product. Trinnov is interesting because not only is it a very good EQ, but also it can do some neat spatial tricks that no other system can do.

Trinnov + Dolby Volume would make me an early adopter of an Oppo "AIO-105" (BDP-105 with a few more inputs and room correction).

#26 ·
I think Oppo is MUCH more likely to make a Cell Phone than they ARE to make an AVR.

Maybe some revolutionary features like a 1080p screen, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro APQ8064 processor , a 12-megapixel rear camera, a 2-megapixel front camera, a 2,500mAh battery pack and 2GB of RAM with either 16GB or 32GB of storage.

I'm just throwing some ideas together. Those are the features I'd put in a new cell. I could see THAT happening.

A cell phone just makes a LOT more sense for Oppo, doing an AVR or AVPro is ridiculous.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.