Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a SR6007 and i love the sound and it looks great too
here's my problem with it..........
it will freeze up, by that i mean you cant adjust the volume up or down,
manually or remotely or even turn it off without unplugging it
the music still plays, the picture still shows
this happens with music, tv, blu ray, aux, it may play fine for 3-4,5 hours
or as little as 30 minutes and freeze up or it can go several days without a problem.
I have reset microprocessor, got firmware update and still the same
It's in a well ventilated spot......65degrees in the room the temp off the top of the recv is 90-96 degrees......
is that about right?
Any ideas on how to fix this, i sure hate to undo all those wires to send it back
Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-27-2012, 04:07 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 1523
Try resetting the microprocessor (p. 162 OM). If still no joy, exchange it.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 21 Old 11-27-2012, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for your response jd. Yes i have reset the microprocessor a few times but it still
freezes up. It does it with headphones or speakers on, low volume or high volume.

I was wondering(hoping and wishing) that it could somehow be fixed in the maintenance mode via the internet.

I sure hate to haul my large posterior up to the attic to get my old pioneer back out but i may have to.
post #4 of 21 Old 11-27-2012, 05:17 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 1523
The maintenance mode is for custom installer and repair facility use only. Sorry. frown.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 21 Old 11-27-2012, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you jd, starting to look like i'm gonna have to pack it up and ship it back, ugh.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-01-2013, 03:42 PM

I've been experiencing exactly the same problem with my Marantz SR7007. Did you manage to fix the problem in the end or did you exchange your unit ? I have put in a call to the service team but have heard nothing back yet.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-01-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Ahh, i just knew i couldn't be the only one out there that this was happening to!
I had to send it back to get a refund. I really liked the unit but thats too big of a problem
to try to live with. I tried everything to fix it except standing on my head, i mean everything.
post #8 of 21 Old 01-02-2013, 12:35 AM

Same here, I really like the sound and features so I'm not keen to send it back ! Think I'll give it a few days and see if I can live with it, but sounds like I shouldn't mess around for ages with different settings as it won't cure the problem. All my other gear is Marantz so not sure what to replace it with if I do return it and have just sold my SR7005..........
post #9 of 21 Old 01-02-2013, 01:13 AM

Same issue here with 6007. I don't think I can live with it if it continues to do this. Have you had any luck with the support?
post #10 of 21 Old 01-02-2013, 06:08 AM

So this does sound like a general problem unfortunately. I haven't heard back from support yet other than an auto reply but hopefully I'll hear something in the next few days now the holidays are over. I'm in the UK so there's only an email system for European support as far as I can see but I've added this thread in my support call so they know it's a 6007 issue as well. I'll let you know what they say.
post #11 of 21 Old 01-02-2013, 10:17 AM

Just got off the phone with the support at Marantz. I started the call in Canada but I think I was redirected to a US location at some point. Anyway, there is no widespread issue concerning this. He said that it's not uncommon that a receiver would lock up / freeze up like this... After I told him I had this unit for less than a week and it's already happened 4-5 times, he asked me to reset the microprocessor and if that doesn't work, take it to a technician. I am not sure what the options are at this point.
post #12 of 21 Old 01-03-2013, 06:27 AM

Think I'll have to return mine if it carries on. I'm going to chase up UK support today as I've found a phone number to call. I'm also going to try a network reset as a last attempt to solve the problem as suggested by jdsmoothie.
post #13 of 21 Old 01-03-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I have the Marantz SR6007's sibling - the Denon AVR-3313CI and I've seen these kinds of freezes in the couple of days I've had it so far. It most likely seems to be due to an overwhelmed microprocessor that hangs when the processing burden gets too much. For example, being accustomed to fast response times on my smartphones and tablets, I've tried to do too many things too fast for the receiver to handle. Like starting Internet radio, choosing a station, backing out of the station if I didn't like what I was hearing, trying to start Pandora, etc. Sometimes, the processing of the receiver lags behind the speed with which its GUI display refreshes on the TV screen.This results in the receiver freezing up like the old PCs of yesteryears. Only option left for me really was to unplug the receiver and plug in again.

I really think in somecases of freeze ups, it's a matter of getting used to doing things slowly, allowing the receiver time to process the required commands.
post #14 of 21 Old 01-03-2013, 07:58 AM

Thanks raaj, I guess that's true. Unfortunately mine seems to be freezing when all I'm doing is watching satellite TV and I just try and change the volume. And I'm putting no more demands on it than my old SR7005 which never froze once so I think something must be up with my unit. I'll keep posting if I make any progress but think I'm going to get a replacement.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-03-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

I dont think its got anything to do with an overwhelmed microprocessor that hangs when the processing burden gets too much.
Just watching sat tv, just watching a blu ray, just listening to music by a cd, just using headphones, low volume, high volume, speakers on, speakers off......
it doesn't make a bit of difference it freezes and the only solution is unplugging it.
I tried reseting the microprocessor once, no good.....tried it 2,3,4 times in a row as suggested by jdsmoothie......no good , it still freezes eventually.
It drove me crazy, lol. It has soured me on marantz i'm sad to say.
post #16 of 21 Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritt700 View Post

I dont think its got anything to do with an overwhelmed microprocessor that hangs when the processing burden gets too much.
Just watching sat tv, just watching a blu ray, just listening to music by a cd, just using headphones, low volume, high volume, speakers on, speakers off......
it doesn't make a bit of difference it freezes and the only solution is unplugging it.
I tried reseting the microprocessor once, no good.....tried it 2,3,4 times in a row as suggested by jdsmoothie......no good , it still freezes eventually.
It drove me crazy, lol. It has soured me on marantz i'm sad to say.

See if turning off network elements (firmware update notifications, IP control, etc.) that you might not use. Being a network engineer, I know how easy it is for poor code to lock up network subsystems and eventually the [micro]processors in networked equipment. I have/had a Marantz SR-5001 receiver for about 6 years now, and it is a great sounding receiver. Just going back and forth between my old Marantz and the new fangled Denon, I find that I am liking my Marantz better. tongue.gif
post #17 of 21 Old 01-20-2013, 06:52 AM

I have the same freezing issues that just started today on my 6 week old Marantz SR6007. I bought thru Amazon and their Holiday purchase returns policy runs thru January 31. I can return for a full refund but I just love everything else about this receiver. So desperately trying to find a confirmed fix before January 31st. I have tried the following:
Unplugging waiting 5 mins and reconnecting
Resetting Microprossessor
Turning of Internet control
Because I use a Harmony remote with RF extender and control cable plugged into Marantz Flasher input, I tried the Remote Lock Function on P.100 of OM.
Also pulled the cable from the Flasher input and just used Marantz Remote contol (after turning Remote Lock off)

I would LOVE to hear that Marantz has acknowledge this issue and will have a Firmware undate to fix it. Sounds as though this is the only solution will the nature of the problem.

I'm going to call Marantz tomorrow and see if they are now acknowledging a problem. I will post result of my call.

Has anyone received useful response from Marantz? Any new fixes? Is everyone returning units?
post #18 of 21 Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 AM

I have a Marantz sr6007. When I first got the receiver I ran a firmware update. This weekend I had the freeze happen for the first time. No buttons on the remove or receiver were responsive, I had to remove power.

Recap:
Purchased Receiver
Updated Firmware right away
4 weeks I ran this receiver without network connectivity. Not a problem.
1 week I ran this receiver with network connectivity and I experienced the freeze once.
post #19 of 21 Old 02-15-2013, 10:51 PM

That's very interesting scottz74. Keep us informed of what happens. I ended up keeping mine and keeping my fingers crossed.
post #20 of 21 Old 02-27-2013, 03:01 PM

Liked: 11
I have the SR6007, and my network recently froze. Couldn't get internet radio or read from my music drive. Didn't really want to do a reset, so finally, I turned off IP control, and everything started working fine again. Whew!! smile.gif
I've experienced no other freezes in the 3 months I've had it. Maybe try that to see if it works for you guys. Good luck!
post #21 of 21 Old 07-13-2013, 07:56 PM

Try a power conditioner on the Marantz circuit mate.

Or start off with a Zap Trap as that may be all you need.

You may have a fridge or mums blender or something else nasty on the same circuit.

It's easy to check out..

Flip off your circuit breakers/fusers one by one until you find the one controlling your audio
power and see that else goes off at the same time.

Your modern audio needs to be on the "quietest" circuit cos the kit no longer has the quality filtering they used to have with those heavy old trannies etc that weighed a ton.
No-one ever tells you these things.

Worth a try.

Cheers
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr6007 Home Theater Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page