Pioneer Elite VSX 49txi sound issues/no sound - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-27-2012, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
goodtimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well, my VSX 49txi is some what dead. I get no sound from any input, analog or digital. I have tried direct mode and all surround modes to no avail. If I bypass the preamp by taking the jumpers out and run an external preamp into the front amplifier inputs I get sound, so the amplifier is working. The preamp senses signals (when I hook up digital and analog sources and set the receiver to auto it selects correctly), but there seems to be a communication failure between the preamp and amplifier sections. Now it gets better......when I hook up to the Multichannel inputs and select Multichannel Direct mode all is well. If I select Multichannel Adjust it is back to nothing. Multichannel Direct 2ch is just like Stereo Direct 2ch mode in sound so that is fine, but I only get one input and that is no bueno! Any one have any idea's????

I also was considering some type of conversion. If I could make this into just an amplifier that would be pretty good, but man I really like it as a surround receiver...........

"goodtimes"
goodtimes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 03-03-2013, 07:55 AM
Member
 
BIT RATE MASTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post

Well, my VSX 49txi is some what dead. I get no sound from any input, analog or digital. I have tried direct mode and all surround modes to no avail. If I bypass the preamp by taking the jumpers out and run an external preamp into the front amplifier inputs I get sound, so the amplifier is working. The preamp senses signals (when I hook up digital and analog sources and set the receiver to auto it selects correctly), but there seems to be a communication failure between the preamp and amplifier sections. Now it gets better......when I hook up to the Multichannel inputs and select Multichannel Direct mode all is well. If I select Multichannel Adjust it is back to nothing. Multichannel Direct 2ch is just like Stereo Direct 2ch mode in sound so that is fine, but I only get one input and that is no bueno! Any one have any idea's????

I also was considering some type of conversion. If I could make this into just an amplifier that would be pretty good, but man I really like it as a surround receiver...........

Did you ever figure out what the problem was?
BIT RATE MASTER is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 03-18-2014, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
goodtimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Sooo,

I did figure out what the problem was/is. These receivers get pretty hot and if not properly ventilated can cause damage to themselves. The DSP board can become desoldered and the chip may suffer damage in the process. I found another 49tx at a thrift shop and picked it up for cheap, only to find that it was experiencing the same issues (exactly) as the one I already had. I sent my receiver to EBC Electronics and Paul was able to fix the DSP board for a very fair price (in my opinion). I then sent in the other 49tx and had the same exact problem fixed. So, If any one has a Pioneer Elite VSX 49txi or 49tx that has no output this is very likely the problem and can fixed for much less than a used one with no remote can be had for. If you want to be sure it has the same problem just hook up a source, select B speakers only, select direct mode and see if you get audio. If you do get audio this way but no other way, the fix above should be good for you as well.

CHEERS!

"goodtimes"
goodtimes is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 Old 06-24-2016, 10:43 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just chiming in 2 years after goodtimes quote. These 49 TXi's are turning up in every goodwill in the US. All due to the same problem, NO SOUND.
I took Goodtimes advice and am going to send it to Paul at EBC Electronics in NJ to have him look at it. If you go on there webiste, they say the usual No sound and DSP board rebuild runs around 240$ plus the cost to ship it to and fro. If you dont care about new technology (I.E HDMI) like me, then send it in to get repaired.

I Had little problems with my 49 TXi and I just did a master reset (Press Dolby NR and Power at the same time) and bam, unit quit outputting sound altogether. It used to be intermittent, (and would still work in DIRECT mode) but now its nothing. I knew the day would come when I had to send it in for service. But the good thing is if you were to just "replace the board" the same problem would happen again, vs. EBC electronics actually rebuilds and upgrades the faulty parts. Pioneer Home electronics went under in 2014 so you cant get the boards anyways.

Ill post an update after I get the rebuilt unit back and let you all know about what was wrong and the outcomes with EBC.
John Beyer is offline  
post #5 of 7 Unread 09-19-2016, 01:04 AM
Newbie
 
slayyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
update?

Any updates bought a used 37tx and wasn't told about the intermitent dsp issues. I have a strong feeling that it will eventually fully fail, did your fix work?
slayyou is offline  
post #6 of 7 Unread 10-14-2016, 02:37 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beyer View Post
Just chiming in 2 years after goodtimes quote. These 49 TXi's are turning up in every goodwill in the US. All due to the same problem, NO SOUND.
I took Goodtimes advice and am going to send it to Paul at EBC Electronics in NJ to have him look at it. If you go on there webiste, they say the usual No sound and DSP board rebuild runs around 240$ plus the cost to ship it to and fro. If you dont care about new technology (I.E HDMI) like me, then send it in to get repaired.

I Had little problems with my 49 TXi and I just did a master reset (Press Dolby NR and Power at the same time) and bam, unit quit outputting sound altogether. It used to be intermittent, (and would still work in DIRECT mode) but now its nothing. I knew the day would come when I had to send it in for service. But the good thing is if you were to just "replace the board" the same problem would happen again, vs. EBC electronics actually rebuilds and upgrades the faulty parts. Pioneer Home electronics went under in 2014 so you cant get the boards anyways.

Ill post an update after I get the rebuilt unit back and let you all know about what was wrong and the outcomes with EBC.
Yep, EBC COULD NOT fix it. They had it for 4 weeks, then asked for an additional 2 weeks after that. So 6 weeks and they charge 270$ for the repair service and nothing. Not even sound in "direct mode"
So they refunded me and I told them to keep that crappy paperweight as I didn't want to pay to ship it back I was so pissed.

I was smart and gave up on the 49 TXi's and bought a 47 TX. Built basically the same as the 49 minus the copper back panel and I-Link. (does anyone use I-link? seriously)
Since I bought my 47TX, I have had zero problems with it. Can you believe I went through 3 of the 49 TXi's and they all had the exact same problem (bad board)
And if you think you can just "find another board" think again, the existing board will have to be rebuilt.

Save yourself the hassle and get a 47TX, IMO much better than the 49TXi. (not to say they all will fail, but after owning 3 of them all with the same problem).....

Also, the calibration mic from the 49TXi works with the 47TX and so does the AXD-7295 Touchpad remote. (those go for 300$ on ebay, jeesh)

Hope this helps you 49TXi'ers who have dead units.
Think before you start spending bokou money on a 15 year old unit that is known to have a bad build design.
Its like my Accord, why buy the V6 with the bad (recall) transmission, when you can have the 4cyl that does not have any transmission problems. In my mind its a no brainier.
John Beyer is offline  
post #7 of 7 Unread 10-14-2016, 02:42 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayyou View Post
Any updates bought a used 37tx and wasn't told about the intermitent dsp issues. I have a strong feeling that it will eventually fully fail, did your fix work?
I have only heard the 37 TX has a volume knob issue, but have not heard about any sound output issues on this specific unit.
(volume knob issue is it gets oxidized and sometimes the dial wont work right on the unit itself) but if you have a remote you should be fine.
John Beyer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off