Helping friend with AVR purchase, he's on a budget, help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-28-2012, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
upstate-avfan-da's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Trying to figure out a decent AVR for a friend that won't require him to upgrade it in a short amount of time if he upgrades the rest of his system.

Budget is as low as you can go, but with certain items as "must haves".... I tried to point him to Denon AVR-1613 as it's well rounded and seems pretty future proof for a while but the $350 (on sale) price tag was a little steep.

Must have's:
- iPhone/iPod support (Airplay a +++)
- HDMI passthrough (analog upconvert not required)
- 5.1 (75-100w per channel)
- Audessey calibration (a MUST)
- Ethernet (nice to have for internet radio/music streaming, not absolute)
- Dolby TrueHD / DTS MA decoding (will be easier to have AVR decode rather than have him mess with settings to PCM)
- <= .08 THD would be nice

Any suggestions? I think budget cap here is $250ish.

Thanks!

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
upstate-avfan-da is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 11-29-2012, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
JBWIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 875
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Since it's a Yamaha, it uses Yamaha's calibration software instead of Audyssey, but otherwise, this is the best fit you'll find and it's $280 for now (holiday season 2012). Note: You have to get it from a brick-and-mortar Costco.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1430943/yamaha-htr-4065-from-costco/0_50

If you want to search for more info, it's identical to the RX-V473.

JBWIII is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 11-29-2012, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
upstate-avfan-da's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately we don't have a Costco here

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
upstate-avfan-da is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 11-29-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Budget is as low as you can go, but with certain items as "must haves".... I tried to point him to Denon AVR-1613 as it's well rounded and seems pretty future proof for a while but the $350 (on sale) price tag was a little steep.

Where are you located? I thought the retail price of the AVR-1613 is $349 in the USA? It has been $269 for the last week or so. I was lucky enough to get one for $139 on a temporary Amazon sale.

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 11-30-2012, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
JBWIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 875
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
What about this Pioneer VSX-822-K for $288? They tend to have more features for the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-822-K-5-Channel-Receiver-Network/dp/B007O5ATM8

Like the Yamaha, it uses non-Audyssey room correction.

JBWIII is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 11-30-2012, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
upstate-avfan-da's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Quote:
Budget is as low as you can go, but with certain items as "must haves".... I tried to point him to Denon AVR-1613 as it's well rounded and seems pretty future proof for a while but the $350 (on sale) price tag was a little steep.

Where are you located? I thought the retail price of the AVR-1613 is $349 in the USA? It has been $269 for the last week or so. I was lucky enough to get one for $139 on a temporary Amazon sale.

I'm in NY, I will have to double check amazon

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
upstate-avfan-da is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 11-30-2012, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
upstate-avfan-da's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

What about this Pioneer VSX-822-K for $288? They tend to have more features for the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-822-K-5-Channel-Receiver-Network/dp/B007O5ATM8

Like the Yamaha, it uses non-Audyssey room correction.

Thanks! I think at this point my friend is really looking sub-200.... anything I have mentioned over that I can tell isn't music to his ears.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
upstate-avfan-da is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 11-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Senior Member
 
AVTrauma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, Wa
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Unfortunately at 200-250 max price, to get all the "must have's" will be difficult, especially a 5.1 system with network capability. Look at the number of 5.1 models each manufacturer produces... usually just one, and it is essentially a basic no frills model. Once you get to the 7.1 AVR's, then you can start to see the inclusion of various features like network ability, airplay, low THD levels, et all. Remind your friend "you get what you pay for" and a cheap AVR may need to be replaced when it fails.

Don't forget to call for the price! Advertised prices at Electronics Expo, J&R, and many other authorized dealers can be higher than a price you can get if you give them a call. And don't forget AVSF store right here!

Good Luck!
AVTrauma is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 12-01-2012, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
upstate-avfan-da's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTrauma View Post

Unfortunately at 200-250 max price, to get all the "must have's" will be difficult, especially a 5.1 system with network capability. Look at the number of 5.1 models each manufacturer produces... usually just one, and it is essentially a basic no frills model. Once you get to the 7.1 AVR's, then you can start to see the inclusion of various features like network ability, airplay, low THD levels, et all. Remind your friend "you get what you pay for" and a cheap AVR may need to be replaced when it fails.

Don't forget to call for the price! Advertised prices at Electronics Expo, J&R, and many other authorized dealers can be higher than a price you can get if you give them a call. And don't forget AVSF store right here!

Good Luck!

I think he realized, $200 for AVR will not go far esp when considering he also wanted airplay capability. But a4less still had Denon refurb 1613 for $250, had him add 2 yr extended warranty for $25 so all in all great buy for under $300! Makes me want to upgrade my 591 lol but my wife will say otherwise after dropping >$2500 on a new dslr, camcorder, and PC build smile.gif

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
upstate-avfan-da is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off