Helping friend with AVR purchase, he's on a budget, help! - AVS Forum
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Helping friend with AVR purchase, he's on a budget, help!
upstate-avfan-da's Avatar upstate-avfan-da 05:28 PM 11-28-2012
Trying to figure out a decent AVR for a friend that won't require him to upgrade it in a short amount of time if he upgrades the rest of his system.

Budget is as low as you can go, but with certain items as "must haves".... I tried to point him to Denon AVR-1613 as it's well rounded and seems pretty future proof for a while but the $350 (on sale) price tag was a little steep.

Must have's:
- iPhone/iPod support (Airplay a +++)
- HDMI passthrough (analog upconvert not required)
- 5.1 (75-100w per channel)
- Audessey calibration (a MUST)
- Ethernet (nice to have for internet radio/music streaming, not absolute)
- Dolby TrueHD / DTS MA decoding (will be easier to have AVR decode rather than have him mess with settings to PCM)
- <= .08 THD would be nice

Any suggestions? I think budget cap here is $250ish.

Thanks!

JBWIII's Avatar JBWIII 04:41 PM 11-29-2012
Since it's a Yamaha, it uses Yamaha's calibration software instead of Audyssey, but otherwise, this is the best fit you'll find and it's $280 for now (holiday season 2012). Note: You have to get it from a brick-and-mortar Costco.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1430943/yamaha-htr-4065-from-costco/0_50

If you want to search for more info, it's identical to the RX-V473.
upstate-avfan-da's Avatar upstate-avfan-da 09:29 PM 11-29-2012
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately we don't have a Costco here

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
afrogt's Avatar afrogt 09:35 PM 11-29-2012
Quote:
Budget is as low as you can go, but with certain items as "must haves".... I tried to point him to Denon AVR-1613 as it's well rounded and seems pretty future proof for a while but the $350 (on sale) price tag was a little steep.

Where are you located? I thought the retail price of the AVR-1613 is $349 in the USA? It has been $269 for the last week or so. I was lucky enough to get one for $139 on a temporary Amazon sale.
JBWIII's Avatar JBWIII 07:09 AM 11-30-2012
What about this Pioneer VSX-822-K for $288? They tend to have more features for the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-822-K-5-Channel-Receiver-Network/dp/B007O5ATM8

Like the Yamaha, it uses non-Audyssey room correction.
upstate-avfan-da's Avatar upstate-avfan-da 11:58 PM 11-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Quote:

Where are you located? I thought the retail price of the AVR-1613 is $349 in the USA? It has been $269 for the last week or so. I was lucky enough to get one for $139 on a temporary Amazon sale.

I'm in NY, I will have to double check amazon

upstate-avfan-da's Avatar upstate-avfan-da 11:59 PM 11-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

What about this Pioneer VSX-822-K for $288? They tend to have more features for the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-822-K-5-Channel-Receiver-Network/dp/B007O5ATM8

Like the Yamaha, it uses non-Audyssey room correction.

Thanks! I think at this point my friend is really looking sub-200.... anything I have mentioned over that I can tell isn't music to his ears.

AVTrauma's Avatar AVTrauma 12:40 AM 12-01-2012
Unfortunately at 200-250 max price, to get all the "must have's" will be difficult, especially a 5.1 system with network capability. Look at the number of 5.1 models each manufacturer produces... usually just one, and it is essentially a basic no frills model. Once you get to the 7.1 AVR's, then you can start to see the inclusion of various features like network ability, airplay, low THD levels, et all. Remind your friend "you get what you pay for" and a cheap AVR may need to be replaced when it fails.

Don't forget to call for the price! Advertised prices at Electronics Expo, J&R, and many other authorized dealers can be higher than a price you can get if you give them a call. And don't forget AVSF store right here!

Good Luck!
upstate-avfan-da's Avatar upstate-avfan-da 08:39 PM 12-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTrauma View Post

Unfortunately at 200-250 max price, to get all the "must have's" will be difficult, especially a 5.1 system with network capability. Look at the number of 5.1 models each manufacturer produces... usually just one, and it is essentially a basic no frills model. Once you get to the 7.1 AVR's, then you can start to see the inclusion of various features like network ability, airplay, low THD levels, et all. Remind your friend "you get what you pay for" and a cheap AVR may need to be replaced when it fails.

Don't forget to call for the price! Advertised prices at Electronics Expo, J&R, and many other authorized dealers can be higher than a price you can get if you give them a call. And don't forget AVSF store right here!

Good Luck!

I think he realized, $200 for AVR will not go far esp when considering he also wanted airplay capability. But a4less still had Denon refurb 1613 for $250, had him add 2 yr extended warranty for $25 so all in all great buy for under $300! Makes me want to upgrade my 591 lol but my wife will say otherwise after dropping >$2500 on a new dslr, camcorder, and PC build smile.gif

Up
Mobile  Desktop