Onkyo HT-S3400: is my HTIB receiver too weak for speaker upgrade to Definitive Tech's? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 11-28-2012, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I got the Onkyo HT-S3400 receiver/speaker package last year for Christmas. I like the receiver but the speakers can use an upgrade.

- I do not really play movies/music at super loud volumes.
- I very much value clarity in movie dialogue ("mids") and do occasionally listen to music ("highs").
- Physical space is a limitation, hence the need for these compact speakers.

Originally, I was eyeing the Definitive Technology ProCinema 60, which I'm sure will blow away the Onkyo HTIB speakers.

However, I'm also considering a gigantic leap towards the Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000 as my new center, and the Definitive ProMonitor 800 as the Left & Right fronts. I can then move my existing Onkyo L&R's for use as my rear's, and move my existing rear and center upstairs into the bedroom. :P

From a wattage/ohms/power point of view, am I biting off more than my receiver can chew with either set? Last thing I want to do is to damage new speakers because of my entry-level receiver, but I'm also a bit of a n00b when it comes to matching up speakers.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Ht S3400 5 1 Channel Home Theater System
Gear in this thread - S3400 by PriceGrabber.com