BiAmp onkyo 818 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-28-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an onkyo 818 with 2 kef iq90 speakers and a powered subwoofer.

I am trying to run a phantom center, but i could not get any sound out of the subwoofer.

The subwoofer sounds fine during the audyssey setup, but it is mute afterwards. I picked biamp during audyssey setup.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-29-2012, 05:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by csnbharathi View Post

I have an onkyo 818 with 2 kef iq90 speakers and a powered subwoofer.

I am trying to run a phantom center, but i could not get any sound out of the subwoofer.

The subwoofer sounds fine during the audyssey setup, but it is mute afterwards. I picked biamp during audyssey setup.

Why?

Why not just play it straight?
post #3 of 8 Old 11-29-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Are your speakers set to small to engage bass management? No sub on all sources, or just some?

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #4 of 8 Old 11-29-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Passive bi-amping is totally useless. And make sure your mains are set to small.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-29-2012, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

Passive bi-amping is totally useless. And make sure your mains are set to small.
I am just starting to setup the HT, I have just one subwoofer connected to the 818 and have 2 iq90's connected for the front. I biamped it using the bi-amp (Hi freq) of left and right respectively. I am completly lost here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

Are your speakers set to small to engage bass management? No sub on all sources, or just some?

I did not change the odyssey setup, it is setup to small. I assume that if the speakers are set to a hz (Mine was 40hz) and not FULL BAND, then it is set to small, please correct me if i am wrong.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-29-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I do not have Audyssey so am not sure exactly how it is implemented on your AVR. A crossover of 40 Hz sounds awfully low to me... I realize the iQ90's are rated to 33 Hz, but with two 6.5" cones (about the equivalent of a single 9" cone) I suspect that is pushing it, and distortion may be high. I'd cross over up around 60 or 80 Hz and let the sub do its thing.

I would start by scrapping the bi-amp configuration (retain the wires if you wish, just tie both together at the AVR) and set that up first to get things running.

What is your source: CD, TV, what? Are you using optical, HDMI, analog inputs ??? And what sound mode(s) are you using? If the sub tests OK but no sound comes out in use then bass management is not working right, either due to a setup error or because you have selected a mode (direct or similar) that does not utilize the sub.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #7 of 8 Old 11-30-2012, 03:13 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 1398
As suggested above, disconnect the bi-amp wiring (as there is nothing to gain) and raise the FL/FR crossovers up to 80Hz as doing so will have no negative impact on the Audyssey filters.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8 of 8 Old 11-30-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

I did raise the crossover to 80hz and it did make a huge difference. I removed the biamp and followed the speaker installation guide to connect the 2 binding post with the cable that came with the speakers.

Thanks all for putting some sense to the setup i have.

I tried playing a 5.1 flac and had no sound from the center channel, even though i turned off the center (Center=>none)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page